PDA

View Full Version : MET helmets - Manta and Rivale - Anyone have one?

eBAUMANN
06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Considering a new helmet purchase...really liking the looks of the "new" offerings from MET. (http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/23/met-debuts-manta-rivale-super-lightweight-wind-tunnel-proven-helmets-in-tdf-peloton/)

Anyone have one and an opinion?

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MET_Manta_MES_Helmet_0022.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MET_Rivale_MES_Helmet_0020.jpg

berserk87
06-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Met helmets have been cool looking for a long time, and that has not changed.

dustyrider
06-08-2016, 03:25 PM
The top one looks hot. A big black heat sink on your forehead...
Now the bottom one, in any other color, looks pretty cool!

d_douglas
06-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I can't speak to these two particular helmets, but I did try a MET helmet on when searching for a new lid, and was impressed. I bought a Giro because I loved it, but I need a backup helmet, and the MET would be a fine choice. They seem like very nice helmets and they were very popular when i lived in Europe.

fignon's barber
06-09-2016, 06:40 AM
I got a Rivale about 6 months ago, because, like you, it looked good and the marketing blurb made sense. Very disappointing product. First of all, I'm not a fan of helmets that come in just 2 sizes because they usually don't fit anyone, but I went against my better judgement to try this. Mistake. The fit of this helmet is comically round, like for a bowling ball head. The 2 sizes are tiny round and giant round. My size is 59cm (poc octal,spec evade, giro synthe mediums fit well). The large 59-61cm Rivale was enormous. The fastening system was cheap, the finish not so good. It's funny, I have an Evade and put the two next to each other. You could actually see how MET took the Evade and copied many elements of it, but in a less refined way.
The Manta looks similar, but is 2x as expensive as the Rivale and ligther, so that may be better. But the Rivale? I was happy to pay for it's return to the dealer.

tigoat
06-09-2016, 07:13 AM
I have been rocking a medium white/blue Manta since it was first available in Europe. I bought mine from Italy. As a reference, I also ride with a medium Giro Synthe regularly for almost two years now. I use an aero helmet mostly for the cooler weather, not so much for the aero benefit. I have been very pleased with the Manta and I certainly feel it worth my money. It is not quite as round as the Synthe so it can tilt front and back more easily due to a slightly elongated contour. The Synthe is quite round and it fits my head like a mold. I do not have a problem with the Manta for being slightly elongated. The Manta is crazy light and I don’t feel like having it on most of the time if I don’t think about it. The back brace/strap does feel a little cheap with the ratcheting wheel turns very lightly but I have never had a problem with it coming loose after using it for several thousand miles so far. In contrast, the ratcheting wheel of the Synthe is extremely tight and it does give me a sense of security. I do like the chin strap of the Manta better than the Synthe, as it can be adjusted easier and it seems more comfortable. I don’t recall having a lot of inquiry about my Synthe when I first used (I was also an early adopter) it but Manta had tons of inquiry right from the get-go, mostly from those fast boys in our club. Nonetheless, I would buy another one in a different color in a heartbeat.