PDA

View Full Version : OT: Talk to me about weightlifting gloves

veggieburger
06-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Yes, I lift weights. Not a lot of weight, just enough that I don't QUITE look like my super scrawny cycling buddies. I also have very soft hands (probably due to this cushy desk job).

I need hand protection, but the gloves out there are mostly junk. The leather ones quickly separate at the seams, and the neoprene grips are glorified mouse pads.

Has anyone ever tried to make their own? I'm thinking a thick piece of natural belt leather cut into a rectangle. Eventually it should develop a curve, perfect for bench, pull downs, bicep curls etc.

benb
06-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Lifting weights toughens up your hands fast.

echelon_john
06-08-2016, 02:16 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=186845&highlight=cuero

Chris
06-08-2016, 02:31 PM
When I was at the Shaolin Temple we drove our hands into heated pots of gravel. That did a good job of conditioning our hands. Try that.

MattTuck
06-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I think rugbysecondrow has a new product for weight lifting, though I think it may have been the strap, rather than the glove itself. It was in the last couple weeks, but can't remember the name of it.

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2016, 02:52 PM
What are you needing protection from as that will dictate the type of protection:

-Abrasion
-Blisters
-padding for heavy lifting
-grip

I have a new product called The Hook Grip, but it is focused on eliminating the thumb pain caused by hook-gripping the bar bell as well as enhancing the grip on the barbell for pulling movements. www.thehookgrip.com

Let me know what you need protection for and maybe I can offer a suggestion. I spent way to much to researching this. :)

Cheers,

Paul

veggieburger
06-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Messaged Paul...but also need some padding for pushing/lifting movements.

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2016, 03:17 PM
I would try something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bear-KompleX-Crossfit-gymnastics-kettlebells/dp/B00WXZQX4M?ie=UTF8&keywords=bear%20grips&qid=1465416882&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

They have a leather palm cover, they will conform to your hand, and they are durable. The thicker leather has some pad protection which would help.

Hope this helps!

Paul

tlittlefield
06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Use a pair of old cycling gloves.

I have some Giro ones that I have been using for a couple of years. They work great, hold up very well...I lift three times a week.

false_Aest
06-08-2016, 03:30 PM
GymPaws.

or just wrap your hands in HandleBra

malcolm
06-08-2016, 03:39 PM
I've never used gloves lifting just live with callouses.

How about no padding leather palm half finger or full finger cycling gloves

veggieburger
06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
GymPaws.

These look good. I like that there's some leather on there, not just the cushy neoprene. Thanks!

makoti
06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-FlexClosure-Weightlifting-Leather-Protection/dp/B00074H6UG?ie=UTF8&keywords=weight%20lifting%20gloves&qid=1465421305&ref_=sr_1_3&refinements=p_89%3AHarbinger&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-3

I've used these. Just enough to keep the bars from digging into my hands. Comfortable & lasted pretty long.
I have a pair of the Recovered Cycling gloves & briefly thought about using them for lifting, but the are way too nice to tear up in the gym. Plus, these are way cheaper.

verticaldoug
06-08-2016, 04:37 PM
just tough it out for two weeks and your hands will be fine.

If you are doing dead lifts, maybe wrist straps. But never gloves.

commonguy001
06-08-2016, 04:39 PM
If you have your own stuff and the knurling is tearing your hands up I'd just buy a new bar, no reason to use a crappy bar with sharp knurl.

Climb01742
06-08-2016, 05:09 PM
An old pair of cycling gloves, ones with zero or minimal padding, have always worked well for me. They're pre-broken in and the price is right.:rolleyes::):D

RFC
06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
There is no magic to lifting gloves. Yes, cycling gloves will work fine, particularly the cheap Nashbar old style leather palm, cotton mess back. Or just order a set of low cost leather lifting gloves.

I've been lifting and lifting heavy for decades and wear gloves for a couple of reasons.

1) Comfort when lifting heavy or doing dips, pullups, etc.

2) To avoid the creation of large callouses. At least for me, when I have lifted for a significant period without gloves, my callouses grow to the point where they crack and tear off. Doesn't feel good. That's why gymnasts shave their callouses to avoid cracking.

seric
06-08-2016, 05:44 PM
I use Gripads for heavier deadlifts once a week. Bare handed for everything else.

Ronsonic
06-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I and the misses have been very happy with Harbinger's gloves. Don't know the models, hers are leather, mine mostly a canvas-like fabric. They wear like iron and have been good for like 5 years of pretty regular use.

seanile
06-08-2016, 06:47 PM
pre-tanned, organically grown, locally sourced regenerative leather..made by you.

(yo hands)

06-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Most problems come from an initial lack of hand strength. Do some shoulder shrugs and rows to get your hands stronger. That way they don't slip and cause calluses, slipped calluses, or blisters.

At the same time, get some chalk. A small piece from REI's climbing department will suffice initially. Rub it into the areas that are bearing weight. It fills the texture of your skin and allows the bar to sit on top rather than gouging into the skin. It also helps prevent slippage, and with a little use your hands will toughen up evenly. If you can't use chalk in a gym, get liquid chalk (available on Amazon).

Work hard to build hand strength. When you are lifting past that point, for deadlifts reverse your hands so the bar doesn't want to spill out of your fingers. That helps. Also look around for a deadlifting bar -- these are more like 27 mm diameter than 28 mm, which may not sound like a lot but is both much easier to grip and also has some whip to help start the lift.

The bottom line is chalk and bare hands. Gloves won't solve the problem and you'll just get slightly different hand damage. You won't have to chew up your hands. And importantly, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

veggieburger
06-09-2016, 08:32 AM
I use Gripads for heavier deadlifts once a week. Bare handed for everything else.

Hate those things. They last a couple months then fall to pieces.