PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite vegan protein powder?

jberenyi
06-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Would like to try a proven product. Let me know what you like. I have to order some today.

yngpunk
06-08-2016, 01:45 PM
For non-vegan:

Nitrean from At Large Nutrion:

http://atlargenutrition.com/product/nitrean-natural/

For vegan:

I was pretty impressed with:

Vega Sport

https://myvega.com/products/vega-sport-performance-protein/

stephenmarklay
06-08-2016, 01:54 PM
I have always been a bit leery about the sources of the proteins in powders.

I am not sure about eating large amounts of pea, rice etc from china. Rice already has high levels of inorganic arsenic which stinks. Hemp may be a better choice. I don’t think we can really get away from a deteriorating food supply though. Now raw cocoa seems to be loaded with lead and cadmium.

Here is a site that ranks them and also tests for heavy metals. There are some vegan choices.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

ptourkin
06-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm vegan and I don't use much protein supp right now but when I did, PlantFusion Cookies and Cream was my go to. Far less expensive than Vega (Brendan seems cool but I don't need to pay his salary) and really tasty.

rnhood
06-08-2016, 03:04 PM
No powder for me. I eat a healthy diet.

adamhell
06-08-2016, 03:40 PM
i was drinking plant fusion vanilla. john prolly watson approved. but now i ride even more and i dont use a supplement. quinoa is a good protein source. & a good energy source too. organic beans, brown rice, potatoes, etc. tofu & tempeh have a ton of protein, too.

BobbyJones
06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Warrior Blend. Organic & Raw.

Only use the unflavored (no sugar or sweetners) as part of a fruit blend smoothie. Can't imagine drinking it as a "single" mix with something.

classtimesailer
06-08-2016, 04:15 PM
We keep some NOW Pea Protein in the cupboard. I seems harmless. Our house is plant based with one strict vegan. I only use it in a recovery veggie/fruit smoothy after a long/hard ride/surf-session.

AllanVarcoe
06-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Why not look for good whole food, nutrient rich sources vs. powders?

The ingredient lists on those powders scare me.

weehastogopee
06-08-2016, 04:28 PM
My teammate created his own line of drink mixes and vegan protein powders. It's good stuff! There's two different flavors of protein.

http://crankednaturals.com/

ptourkin
06-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Why not look for good whole food, nutrient rich sources vs. powders?

The ingredient lists on those powders scare me.

Too many syllables? Which ingredient in particular?

AllanVarcoe
06-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Too many syllables? Which ingredient in particular?

Well yes, syllables.

But I just checked Vega Sport performance protein powder's ingredient list. Not bad at all. Big improvement over MEGA MEAT MAN MUSCLE BRAH Powder's I've seen before.

EricEstlund
06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
I have little to hold it against, but I've been taking the Orgain powders.

seric
06-08-2016, 06:02 PM
I also use Orgain (Chocolate) available at my local Costco. Mixes well, which is important to me. Tastes great, which is an unimportant side benefit.

geeter
06-08-2016, 06:04 PM
I have a Vega One shake daliy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Spinner
06-08-2016, 06:04 PM
... I blend it with a banana, frozen organic blue berries, matcha tea powder, quinoa flakes (cooked in microwave and then cooled), organic cacao powder, Garden of Life Green Superfood powder, rolled flax and chia seeds and coconut milk.

This breakfast concoction really energizes me. And the introduction of the cacao has reduced my blood pressure.

Cheers.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2016, 06:34 PM
We keep some NOW Pea Protein in the cupboard. I seems harmless. Our house is plant based with one strict vegan. I only use it in a recovery veggie/fruit smoothy after a long/hard ride/surf-session.

I am pretty sure that they get their product from China and I have not seen a heavy metal test on it.

Geeheeb
06-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I get Vega cheap from Marshall's or Fresh Thyme. I have tried many others but don't like them as much. I really only drink it for breakfast during a 12 hour hospital shift, not cycling related. Sometimes I blend with frozen fruit.

berserk87
06-08-2016, 08:00 PM
And I learned something today. I didn't know there was such a thing as vegan protein powder.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2016, 10:31 PM
And I learned something today. I didn't know there was such a thing as vegan protein powder.

I actually think that is a bit of a misnomer though. There is no reason that non vegans need to just have whey.

jberenyi
06-08-2016, 10:52 PM
To get me by quickly until my mail order gets here I purchased the Sunwarrior Classic Plus Organic Raw Plant-Based Protein in Vanilla. Plus I bought some Glutamine to add to it. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2016, 11:01 PM
To get me by quickly until my mail order gets here I purchased the Sunwarrior Classic Plus Organic Raw Plant-Based Protein in Vanilla. Plus I bought some Glutamine to add to it. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I always keep some Glutamine around for times of stress or after hard workouts or rides. It is really a good immune support supplement and I have heard good things on with it helping the gut after intense bouts of exercise.

crossjunkee
06-09-2016, 10:53 AM
A smart vegan told me she doesn't eat anything that's packaged.

stien
06-09-2016, 11:01 AM
When I was doing the powder, Vega was good.

I'll +1 the just eat real food idea. No need for powders. And really, you don't need to crush protein on the daily. But I guess that's another discussion for another thread.

JAGI410
06-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Orgain from Costco.