PDA

View Full Version : a very radically compact frame

Climb01742
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
check this out:

http://www.lustracing.com/roadcx.htm#

not quite sure what to think. it does, however, seem like a bit of a leap from designing shoes, even very well regarded shoes. wish the photo actually did enlarge, as i'd be curious what an "integrated" saddle is...other than quite a commitment.

thoughts, reactions, witticisms?

Too Tall
06-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Good call. Bart is the man.

Fixed
06-27-2006, 10:13 AM
ugh.. bro

Serpico
06-27-2006, 10:18 AM
look at that stem

Fat Robert
06-27-2006, 12:37 PM
spike lee on tim hardaway's jump shot:

"ugly, but deadly"

that fits in this case

Too Tall
06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
'Zactly FatMo. EX actly.

cpg
06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I think it's cool what he's doing but with that much top tube slope the thing is starting to look like a mixte. If one looks at the contact points that much slope seems odd. Of course, my tastes are questionable because I think the whole compact thing is well... not to my taste. Still I wish him well.

Curt

goonster
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Integrated saddle probably means it's permanently bonded to the post, and not adjustable with a clamp. That wouldn't be such a radical idea, having been done before in some of the constructeurs' super high zoot creations in the fifties.

Also, the saddle to bar drop isn't really all that bad. The fat seatpost and sloping top tube trompe the oeils.

pdxmech13
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
the maker of these kid was in with an way early proto
this winter. I wasn't sure really what to think.

gasman
06-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Looks like a girls bike-- not that there's anything wrong with that.

DavidK
06-27-2006, 02:28 PM
wish the photo actually did enlarge, as i'd be curious what an "integrated" saddle is...other than quite a commitment.
http://www.lustracing.com/images/LUST%20Frames/BartBike.jpg

Lunar Probe
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
intergrated seatpost and saddle?

dmsi
06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
These bikes are photographed with a LOT of differential between saddle and bar height which exaggerates the compact look...but might not be a realistic position for many people to ride in comfort for much mileage.

Ginger
06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Much like LUST speed skates, I don't think this bike is meant for the majority, nor does this bike have anything to do with comfort.

72gmc
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I applaud most any new entry to the bicycle making industry. more bikes!

that said, the spacers are surprising to see on a bicycle that appears made to order. but I kinda like the stem. it's swoopy.

Tom Kellogg
06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Our first compact prototype had a 17 degree slope as well. I think it was back about seven or eight years ago now. I loved the way it rode and fealt. We did have some seat stay / tire clearance issues since I am pretty small. If you are looking for front triangle torsional stiffness, that slope is the most mechanically efficient. HOWEVER, there is a limit of sorts. When you are standing, indeed, a 17 degree slope is ideal. When you sit down, that LONG seat tube/post comes into play. All that stiffness goes right out the window. The structure of the frame itself is good, but your body kind'a looses touch with things. just my experience.

Having said that, except for the impracticality of no saddle adjustment, the thing is very cool!

manet
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
notice the front ring downtube shifter.
aesthetically, to manet, it be cool.
the thingy i wood change is the angle of the stem, it needs to
be more in-line with the slope of the TT.

Too Tall
06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
the more I look at it the more I like what Bart is up to.
He has never been a slave to any fashion and is a free form thinker.
Some of the designs he comes up with a brilliant and anyone who knows the guy will appreciate his keen intuition...THAT is the nugget.

Love the dt shifter DATs BAissimo.

Squint
06-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I've run into two people at races with those frames and both seemed very happy with them.

chrisroph
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Can you raise, lower and adjust the tilt of the saddle?

swoop
06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Can you raise, lower and adjust the tilt of the saddle?

prolly not. some german tune company has been making this kind of set up for a litte while now.... you send them a post with your saddle set and they send you back this.. not unlike what the folks at clafee do with stems and bars. i like the idea of reducing weight on the extreme edges of the bike... bikes feel better when the mass is low on the frame.

and i like that we're at a place where small brands are able to d*ck around with carbon and push the envelope.

i was inspired by tk's 17 degree bike when i designed my aluminum crit orbea... it was a fun bike... way sloping... thank you UPS for destroying it.