PDA

View Full Version : ENVE 6.7 - Rubbing Brake Pads During Steep Inclines

Splash
06-08-2016, 04:55 AM
I can hear the brake pads rub when i climb inclines - with the ENVE 6.7 (20/24 spoke) wheel set.

I have read the following:

- that rubbing brake pads is the result of too stiff a rim and too few spokes.

- when you start climbing or sprinting on a carbon wheel, the stiff rim tends to want to stay perfectly straight – relative to itself.

- this gets compounded by the fact that most “race” wheels have thin aerodynamic spokes – AND not very many of them.

- on top of that, in very recent years, we have also seen carbon rims grow in both width and depth – subsequently gaining both lateral and radial stiffness.

- what this adds up to is the perfect wheel storm: An astoundingly stiff, deep-section carbon rim – strapped on to a handful of thin aero spokes. The stiff rim can literally overpower the spokes. If your rim rubs your rear brake pads, this is probably why.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

Are my rims too stiff for the inclines to prevent rubbing?

What can i do to eliminate this brake pad wear on inclines when using the eve 6.7 wheel set?

Splash

ergott
06-08-2016, 05:08 AM
Open your rear brake a bit.

Cicli
06-08-2016, 05:22 AM
I am sorry, those wheels seem like a real pain.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 05:51 AM
I can hear the brake pads rub when i climb inclines - with the ENVE 6.7 (20/24 spoke) wheel set.

I have read the following:

- that rubbing brake pads is the result of too stiff a rim and too few spokes.

- when you start climbing or sprinting on a carbon wheel, the stiff rim tends to want to stay perfectly straight – relative to itself.

- this gets compounded by the fact that most “race” wheels have thin aerodynamic spokes – AND not very many of them.

- on top of that, in very recent years, we have also seen carbon rims grow in both width and depth – subsequently gaining both lateral and radial stiffness.

- what this adds up to is the perfect wheel storm: An astoundingly stiff, deep-section carbon rim – strapped on to a handful of thin aero spokes. The stiff rim can literally overpower the spokes. If your rim rubs your rear brake pads, this is probably why.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

Are my rims too stiff for the inclines to prevent rubbing?

What can i do to eliminate this brake pad wear on inclines when using the eve 6.7 wheel set?

Splash

Hub adjusted, not loose?

Wheel proper tension and true?

Adjust pads further from the rim?

Maybe ya need a wheel with more and beefier spokes?

sandyrs
06-08-2016, 06:14 AM
For the record brake pad rub like this causes almost zero wear on your pads. Certainly no perceptible wear. It may still be annoying though.

kramnnim
06-08-2016, 06:16 AM
How does hip rotation affect brake track wear when climbing steep inclines?

:confused:

oldfatslow
06-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Unless you weigh what our friend Mr. Contodor weighs can you offer us your weight?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/3fd09e116202b0676109390d2d39f4eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrien
06-08-2016, 08:20 AM
I've experienced rub with aluminum and carbon wheels.

To set a bit of a baseline -- 6'3, 215, hard ride for me is 220 watt average, with spikes up to 800-900. I generally ride rollers, but have done some bigger climbs like Ventoux.

I have two sets of hand made alloy wheels, and a set of handmade Enve 4.5s with King r45s. These wheels and a set of Ambrosio fcs28s have CX-Rays. I love the feel of both wheel sets.

If I ride with the brakes tight to the rim and on my steel ride (which was custom built for distance) and I hammer on a sprint or climb, I get brake rub. After checking a number of factors (Skewers!) I diminished this a lot, but it's not completely gone. Instead, I opened the brakes slightly. Meh. This happens MORE with the Enves on this bike, but my assumption was always that this is a more flexible bike with thin stays playing off very stiff rims. There's a reason you see the pros climb with their rear brakes open. Wheel flex is a good thing, for the most part.

I'd also point out that the 4.5s are about as deep as I would go for a ride with significant climbs, but that's another discussion. I've ridden 6.7s and I would not be comfortable riding those in the mountains.

On my Ti bike, which was made to be stiff in the BB and the stays, I've only ever experienced rub twice. Both times, the brake was not centered properly (my fault, after I put on a handmade mount for a rear light). That said, I do tend to ride with the brakes on the tighter side. It "suits" the Enves much better in terms of the stiff bike and the stiff wheels, and as a system it meshes well.

One more thing -- are you using ENVE skewers? I took one look at them and decided not to mount them. I have had trouble with external cam skewers degrading over time, and providing a small amount of movement at the axle, which led to brake rub issues. It's just not a good place to shave weight or compromise on strength. I now go with a simple approach: Campy or Shimano skewers, always. I prefer the older DA, personally.

Bottom line: it's a system. skewer, hub, spokes, rim, frame, brakes. It all moves, and if you change one of the factors, it can change behavior significantly. Does this mean deeper wheels are horrible? Nope, not at all.

ergott
06-08-2016, 08:35 AM
[SNIPPED]
Bottom line: it's a system. skewer, hub, spokes, rim, frame, brakes. It all moves, and if you change one of the factors, it can change behavior significantly. Does this mean deeper wheels are horrible? Nope, not at all.

Well said.

Mark McM
06-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Open your rear brake a bit.

This is one of the several advantages of the Campagnolo Differential brakes - the single pivot rear brake intrinsically has more pad clearance than a dual pivot brake, reducing the chances of pad rub. It is unfortunate that Campagnolo now only offers Differential brakes in the Record/Super Record groups.

Like others said, all the flex/freeplay in the rear wheel adds up, so there may be several additive causes for a certain wheel to have brake rub.

Splash
06-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys.

Will investigate all the issues highlighted in this thread.

Splash