PDA

View Full Version : It's the little things

Tickdoc
06-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Got my new bb in today. Holy hell this thing is machined to a nice tolerance. Some things just ooze quality. You may say the square taper is a thing of the past and cups have surpassed it, but I'm looking forward to turning these over and over and over again.

Ordered a few other tidbits as well..an ass saver for those damp days, some install tools, and a t-shirt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/8E60D21B-0CAA-4AC4-BDF1-AEA4B8CF6E1D_zpsiykjwhzs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/31C15F1B-701E-47D5-9F0A-CEF48881515C_zps5nyqtvlk.jpg

They included a cool little keychain, but my favorite part?

The shirt glows. I know, it's silly, but it's the little things.

Like when I ordered a cap from Richard Sachs, and he personalized it,included a bunch of stickers and other goodies....I just bought a cap, but it's the little things. That cap is a treasure of mine now :-)

Some people just get it.

merckx
06-07-2016, 06:15 PM
I still use a Phil with my Record alloy crankset. Best BB ever.

AngryScientist
06-07-2016, 07:17 PM
i've got one of those phil BB's on a fixed gear bike that has seen a ton of wet weather miles. never touched it.

take a good look at it, once you install it, you'll never have to see it again!

Cicli
06-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Phil stuff is top notch. The quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

bikinchris
06-07-2016, 08:40 PM
i've got one of those phil BB's on a fixed gear bike that has seen a ton of wet weather miles. never touched it.

take a good look at it, once you install it, you'll never have to see it again!

That's what I told the owner of the shop I was working at when I assembled his new bike. "Take a good look at the Phil BB, you will likely never see it again." 30 years later, he is still riding that same BB that has taken him over the length of the Pyrenees 3 times, the Alps and over much of the USA.

regularguy412
06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
I've gotten 30,000 miles each out of two of those. And..... it's rebuildable too for a very reasonable price. So..... 30,000 miles,,,, take it out, get new bearings pressed in and a new set of mount rings and yer good for another 30,000.

When I got my Shimano 7900 crank, I purchased a Phil outboard BB bearing/cup set. So far have about 4,000 miles on it and nary a whimper from it.

Sure, Phil's stuff costs a bit more upfront, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Mike in AR:beer:

FlashUNC
06-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Did you figure out what killed the Campy BB? My fear for you is anything that'll kill a Campy BB will kill a Phil Wood BB.

Tickdoc
06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Did you figure out what killed the Campy BB? My fear for you is anything that'll kill a Campy BB will kill a Phil Wood BB.

Nope. Old campy was crusted up pretty good on the drive side and took some effort to remove. The bb shell of the colnago ct1 frame does not have a drain port. I suspect that water was the culprit, but the bb actually looked pretty good. It seems pretty smooth turning in the hand, but so did the crank with the chain removed. It only clicked under power. I did notice more deflection of the chainring under power than I am used to seeing, so hopefully the bb is the only culprit.

I took pics but it looks like photobucket is down at the moment so will have to wait.

Install tomorrow, hopefully, and back on the road soon.

tiretrax
06-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Ordered a few other tidbits as well..an ass saver for those damp days.

Damp day in Oklahoma - doesn't rain come in intense dumpings?

Tickdoc
06-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Damp day in Oklahoma - doesn't rain come in intense dumpings?

Yes, with hailstones and tornadoes. Rarely do we get just a little rain, although this spring has been nice ( and soon to be replaced with humid heat:)

Fwiw the bike came from the pnw.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Nope. Old campy was crusted up pretty good on the drive side and took some effort to remove. The bb shell of the colnago ct1 frame does not have a drain port. I suspect that water was the culprit, but the bb actually looked pretty good. It seems pretty smooth turning in the hand, but so did the crank with the chain removed. It only clicked under power. I did notice more deflection of the chainring under power than I am used to seeing, so hopefully the bb is the only culprit.

I took pics but it looks like photobucket is down at the moment so will have to wait.

Install tomorrow, hopefully, and back on the road soon.

Tap and drill the BB, add a drain hole..it's no bg deal.

Lotsa grease in shell also, between cups and BB, little teflon tape on cups, with grease and TIGHT..not glue/loctite regardless of what Phil says. Had a Phil on my Merckx for a long time, never came loose.

Tickdoc
06-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Tap and drill the BB, add a drain hole..it's no bg deal.

Lotsa grease in shell also, between cups and BB, little teflon tape on cups, with grease and TIGHT..not glue/loctite regardless of what Phil says. Had a Phil on my Merckx for a long time, never came loose.

Can you expand on the teflon tape location again? both sides? I see some like to grease drive side but loc-tite non-drive side.

It seems counterintuitive to both grease and teflon. What about anti-seize compound?

I'm sorry, but a simple drain hole will not suffice, no, I would not be content with just a drain hole. I will need to expand it into a :eek: cloverleaf:eek:

Looks like the old Colnago will be going to work with me for some minor surgery. I love the smell of titanium in the morning!

Will post pics, and thanks for the tips.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Can you expand on the teflon tape location again? both sides? I see some like to grease drive side but loc-tite non-drive side.

It seems counterintuitive to both grease and teflon. What about anti-seize compound?

I'm sorry, but a simple drain hole will not suffice, no, I would not be content with just a drain hole. I will need to expand it into a :eek: cloverleaf:eek:

Looks like the old Colnago will be going to work with me for some minor surgery. I love the smell of titanium in the morning!

Will post pics, and thanks for the tips.

You can put on both sides, teflon tape but RH side for the far superior Italian threading' BB unscrew gig. Just makes the thread tolerances a bit 'tighter'.

AntiSieze, with kinda exposed cart bearings I'm not a fan off(between cups and BB). Altho the bearings have 'seals', they aren't absolutely 'sealed' or they wouldn't turn. i like grease between cups and Bb..anti sieze 'can' migrate into bearings.

sure, make a cloverleaf with a drill but just a hole would be fine. Installed a bunch on Moots BBs, not sure why they don't do that at factory.

Tickdoc
06-08-2016, 07:12 AM
anti sieze 'can' migrate into bearings.

makes sense now...thank you sensei.