PDA

View Full Version : Crank and Chain pros- can I use 11 speed crank with 9 speed chain?

tv_vt
06-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Can I use a Shimano 11 speed crank with a Dura Ace 9 speed chain and cassette? Any issues with the wider chain? Not sure exactly how much wider a 9 speed chain is compared to the 11 speed chains, but I assume it's a little wider. Would it get hung up between chainrings or rub somewhere?

Thanks for the info. Not ready to give up on my 9 speed stuff, but am considering a hollowgram crank.

Luddites move incrementally...

ultraman6970
06-07-2016, 04:12 PM
If it was campagnolo my answer could be... theres no reason for not doing it. With shimano I dont see the problem either.

benb
06-07-2016, 04:23 PM
According to Zinn the teeth on the rings are the same size all the way back to 5-speed, and so is the inner dimension of the chain.

The outer dimension of the chain has just been getting steadily thinner.

The chainrings could be made to be closer or the same.. doesn't really matter as they haven't increased the # of chainrings over the years.

Edit: 10s and 11s chainrings are the same distance apart at least.

bikinchris
06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
You should be good. You might get a tiny bit more rub on the small/small combination. Depending on components, you could even use a 10 speed chain.
And yes, all modern bikes use a 1/2 inch pitch chain. Even track bikes and single speed cruisers.

Charles M
06-07-2016, 08:43 PM
The ramping will be different and likely shifting will suffer... It should "fit", but your shifting will likely be a little off.

06-07-2016, 09:54 PM
The chain will run on the 9-speed chainring, but there will be a couple issues. First, I presume you're using an 11-speed crank with a 9-speed drive system, or you would have problems at the rear end. Now 11-speed chains have been refined and an 11-speed chain will run smoother and shift on and off an 11-speed chainring better than the 9-speed one will. Plus for the same reason, your 9-speed derailleurs (both of them) will have a little more trouble with 11-speed chains. The 9-speed derailleurs were made with the knobbier 9-speed chains in mind, which had harsher outside faces and more pronounced rivet heads for the derailleurs to engage with to initiate the shift. These aren't huge issues, but you may notice a bit of a deterioration in the shift.

You'll find that 9-speed chains won't clear the big chainring as well when run from the small ring to the outside cogs. Same reasons.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Can I use a Shimano 11 speed crank with a Dura Ace 9 speed chain and cassette? Any issues with the wider chain? Not sure exactly how much wider a 9 speed chain is compared to the 11 speed chains, but I assume it's a little wider. Would it get hung up between chainrings or rub somewhere?

Thanks for the info. Not ready to give up on my 9 speed stuff, but am considering a hollowgram crank.

Luddites move incrementally...

About a mm wider and the only issue is when in small ring and smallish cogs, may get chain 'tickle' big ring some..just shift. on't add spacers or any silliness, not needed. Adjust front der with limit screws for the crank. Also match the chain to the cogset-9s->9s..11s chain is too narrow to shift well or at all on 9s rear cogset stuff.

06-08-2016, 10:19 AM
About a mm wider and the only issue is when in small ring and smallish cogs, may get chain 'tickle' big ring some..just shift. on't add spacers or any silliness, not needed. Adjust front der with limit screws for the crank. Also match the chain to the cogset-9s->9s..11s chain is too narrow to shift well or at all on 9s rear cogset stuff.

I've already commented above, similar to Tater's experience, and I've only had occasional minor skipping when using an 11-speed chain on a 9-speed rear end, but it really depends on which brand and which grade -- Dura Ace was never a problem, 105 was more of one. Campy, ... well, ... it's Campy. (Cheap shot at Tater.) But that 11-speed chain has been optimized for a different shifting strategy (less about catching rivet heads and ramping the chain up) and is much more flexible, so shifting just doesn't feel right.