PDA

View Full Version : PBK - Not Carrying GP4000S?

distanc3
06-07-2016, 11:05 AM
*Edit - Mods please close if this is inappropriate*

Disclaimer: Partly Rant - Partly FIY (at least for Twin Packs)

Rant:
- Ordered and paid for 2x Twin packs of GP4000S 25mm from PBK on April 4th (4 tires in total). They were the cheapest at the time, $175.48CAD total.
- Checked my account for shipment status beginning of May, order status was "pending". I did not contact PBK assuming they will ship when available.
- June 6th, contacted the Customer Service and they cancelled my order and a refund is pending.

FIY: Email response

Hello ****,

Thank you for getting in touch for an update on order *******.

I am really sorry to let you know that we have had to cancel your order for Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Clincher Road Tyre Twin Pack - Black - 700c x 25mm because our suppliers were unable to provide it.

I understand how disappointing this might be. We have tried other suppliers but we have not had any luck. We will be removing the item from our website as soon as possible.

If a charge has been taken for the order, then a refund will be requested upon cancellation and the money returned to your account within 3-5 working days.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

ProBikeKit Customer Service Team

My fault for not following in May but at least I get my money back.

Question now is: is twin pack any different than 2 individual pack of the tires? Past experience with Ribble is that they ship me 2 individual pack of the tires.

josephr
06-07-2016, 11:20 AM
look up paceliner McEwen and order through him...he posts in the classifieds some, but always found him to be pretty responsive (he has a day job) and good deals on Conti tires...cheaper than amazon. FWIW, it seems amazon was competitive with the UK sites on Conti tires.

bikingshearer
06-07-2016, 02:18 PM
+1 on McEwen. I've had nothing but good dealings with him.

shovelhd
06-07-2016, 10:33 PM
+2. Got a few sets of Speedplay Zero cleats from him cheap.

kramnnim
06-07-2016, 11:19 PM
My twin packs from PBK were two individual packages.

peanutgallery
06-07-2016, 11:54 PM
White person problem

Bet your LBS had them

kramnnim
06-08-2016, 12:02 AM
White person problem

Bet your LBS had them

:crap:

distanc3
06-08-2016, 12:13 AM
White person problem

Bet your LBS had them

They sure did, $43 vs $80 each multiply that by 4 tires.

I don't mind and I do pay for wrenching but when I can save I would love to.

Another example, I purchased Assos t.equip7 for $320 tax included, I get to try them on, I got the shop owner's opinion, I took up their time. I also, received the exact same bib from Ribble for $156. Do I feel bad because I chose to save 50%? absolutely not.

Personal preference and thanks for your comment Peanutgallery. :beer:

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Think ya gotta realize that most of these MO places buy their inventory from a variety of sources, most not the more 'normal' distribution channels and probably not from Conti direct so....often their 'source' of this or that drys up, gets closed or whatever. Could be Conti is tightening their distribution to try to stem this..who knows but it isn't the 'bike shop buys from distributor and then sells', model. AND ride these tires, get an unexpected sidewall at the bead tear after 100 miles...warranty? Doubt it. 'No such thing as a free lunch'...

Joxster
06-08-2016, 06:43 AM
They also buy the tyres from bike manufaturers that get the tyres relabeled for the stock bikes to dupe the customer into thinking its a better spec. ie Conti Ultra Sport branded as a GP4000s II or a Schawlbe Durano as a Schwable One

oldpotatoe
06-08-2016, 07:04 AM
They also buy the tyres from bike manufaturers that get the tyres relabeled for the stock bikes to dupe the customer into thinking its a better spec. ie Conti Ultra Sport branded as a GP4000s II or a Schawlbe Durano as a Schwable One

But, but, but, that's unethical..isn't it?:):rolleyes::beer:

LegendRider
06-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Wow. This is news to me. I typically buy wear items - tires, chains, cassettes and bar tape - from the Brit retailers. Tires (Conti GP4000s) usually, but not always, come in the same box that I see in the LBS. Those can't be relabelled I wouldn't think. The few times they came unboxed I never even considered they weren't what actual GP4000s.

Joxster
06-08-2016, 07:23 AM
But, but, but, that's unethical..isn't it?:):rolleyes::beer:

Only if you're not happy at paying $43 for two $10 tyres. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Every bike manufaturer does it, Cube, Merida, Spesh, Trek and on and on and on

AngryScientist
06-08-2016, 07:27 AM
these things are not worth getting upset over. my general rule for ordering stuff from the UK is that i cant be in a rush to get them, or i'll bite the bullet and order from someone in the US. when i order from across the pond, i have the philosophy that it comes when it comes. try and keep a few wear items like tires, cassettes and chains on hand and then order replacements, so time is not critical.

i also think that there are quite a bunch of tires on the market right now that are simply better than the conti's anyway, so no big loss IMO.

ergott
06-08-2016, 08:44 AM

So GP4000s tires that come on a stock bike are actually Ultra Sports (for example)?

New to me. Do you have a verified source for this information?

AngryScientist
06-08-2016, 09:11 AM
So GP4000s tires that come on a stock bike are actually Ultra Sports (for example)?

New to me. Do you have a verified source for this information?

this is news to me also. I cant imagine why a tire company would agree to do this. most people will ride the tires that their new bike comes with, and that's a great platform to get your product in a consumers hand. if the tires suck and the consumer thinks they are upper tier tires and they are in fact lower tier junk, they could potentially lose a customer for life. this does not seem like something that would be in the best interest of anyone really.

Joxster
06-08-2016, 09:54 AM
this is news to me also. I cant imagine why a tire company would agree to do this. most people will ride the tires that their new bike comes with, and that's a great platform to get your product in a consumers hand. if the tires suck and the consumer thinks they are upper tier tires and they are in fact lower tier junk, they could potentially lose a customer for life. this does not seem like something that would be in the best interest of anyone really.

Lets take Merida as an example.......

Merida: Hello Schawble, we want 300,000 sets of tyres for or product launch in August and then the same in November. But we will only pay $4 a tyre, it in your best interest to get your product in the market place.

Schawble: We get where you're coming from so we'll do a special run for you using our Durano but label them up as an 'OEM' One, when the ounter comes back to replace the tyres we can screw them with the real price.

Merida: Good plan, now can you run off a load of Nobby Nics, Smart Sams etc etc

This is a regular practice with all manufaturers, how do I know well I've been involved in the process :o

AngryScientist
06-08-2016, 10:20 AM
very interesting perspective Jox! i would not have guessed that would go on.

josephr
06-08-2016, 03:15 PM
his ears must've been burning....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=186102

kgreene10
06-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I've had many seamless buying experiences with Pro Bike Kit, but this last one was so bad that I feel it's my duty to the cycling community to post about it.

I know -- I should buy everything at the LBS. Trust me, I'm putting several of the LBS owner's kids through college.

So, I ordered a pair of Conti 4000s II 25mm clinchers from PBK 5.5 months ago. After a month, I started asking why they hadn't arrived. On the two of many occasions when I actually got a response, it was dismissive and borderline rude, saying that they were out of stock for the particular tires I had ordered. Mind you, they were selling the exact tire I ordered during the entire time but claimed that mine were part of a "special order". I think this meant that they didn't want to ship them at the sale price I bought them for. I had used a "loyalty" discount coupon. Pretty ironic, eh?

Anyway, I got an e-mail today saying that my order had been cancelled. No apology or mea culpa or anything like that, just cancelled.

Thanks PBK! Your the best!

josephr
06-10-2016, 03:48 PM
didn't we just cover this?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=188078

kgreene10
06-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Oops! Sorry about that. I've been traveling for the past couple of weeks and not keeping up with the forum, so I didn't realize someone had just posted about a similar problem with PBK.

AngryScientist
06-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Threads merged. I don't think this is even on the radar as a big deal. They cancelled the order and refunded $$ for tires. Maybe a little lacking in updates but not terrible IMO.

Bob Ross
06-10-2016, 04:05 PM
The few times they came unboxed I never even considered they weren't what actual GP4000s.

Wow, that just raised a red flag: The last time I ordered GP4000S IIs from PBK, two of them came in the usual Conti boxes, and two cam sans box. fml