PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sun Riding - Cooler = Better

19wisconsin64
06-07-2016, 05:45 AM
A few years ago I started wearing white arm protectors during afternoon rides in the summer. It's amazing how much more comfortable it is to ride when your body is cooler.

Your forearms are like two "radiators" with your warm blood circulating through them....and covering them with white sun-blocking fabric makes a difference. You'll feel faster and more refreshed. Yup.

If you are considering it check out arm coolers by Craft, or full long-sleeve white jerseys by Performance (about $40 on sale).

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1136853_-1_400061__400061#reviewsTab

I still spray on sun screen on my face, tops of my hands, legs, back of my neck, and legs. Safer is better.

Cheers

HenryA
06-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks for this.

That jersey looks like a good value - how's the fit? Sleeve length, body length?

Vientomas
06-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Another option: http://www.boure.com/8605WH.html

daker13
06-07-2016, 08:45 AM
I recently bought some pull-on sun sleeves after reading a thread here... but I opted for the ebay cheepos ($3) rather than the $30-40 offerings from Craft, Pearl Izumi, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Cooling-Arm-Sleeves-Cover-UV-Sun-Protection-Basketball-sports-Stretch-/271175732631?var=&hash=item3f23554d97:m:mk0TWhf725f5mQGeO0t_hiw

Mostly for biking, but also for gardening and other outdoor stuff. I wore them while mowing the lawn the other day, and said to my daughter that either I was on cusp of a new trend (sun sleeves rather than lotion) or I looked like an idiot. Like the Seinfeld episode where everyone in NY starts eating candy bars with a knife and fork.

(can't remember if I'm allowed to post a link to someone else's eBay auction... if not, sorry mods)

19wisconsin64
06-07-2016, 09:01 AM
The Performance long sleeve sun blocking jersey runs like a snug "club fit". I read the reviews.

On Amazon it looks like Bellweather makes a similar jersey for $40.

Online-Ebay and other places-it looks like you can find something for $15 from China. Didn't do too much digging, but know that Uniqlo also sells long sleeve white sun blocking items-though they are not desgined for cyclists.

It seems like this warrants a friendly phone call to Costco. Please, dear Costco, begin to stock and sell these jerseys for $14.87.

Steve in SLO
06-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I recently bought some pull-on sun sleeves after reading a thread here... but I opted for the ebay cheepos ($3) rather than the $30-40 offerings from Craft, Pearl Izumi, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Cooling-Arm-Sleeves-Cover-UV-Sun-Protection-Basketball-sports-Stretch-/271175732631?var=&hash=item3f23554d97:m:mk0TWhf725f5mQGeO0t_hiw

(can't remember if I'm allowed to post a link to someone else's eBay auction... if not, sorry mods)

Allowed or not, thank you for posting this link. I just picked up two pairs. FYI, the current offer is buy one get one half off.

ultraman6970
06-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I got 2 X "32 degrees " base layers from costco for 5 bucks each. Are short sleeve tho. Good stuff.

sandyrs
06-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I've never found sun sleeves to be more effective than bare arms. It's not like they actually cool the blood in your arms or anything, they just soak up sweat then feel cool in the wind because they're wet.

rnhood
06-07-2016, 02:20 PM
I've never found sun sleeves to be more effective than bare arms. It's not like they actually cool the blood in your arms or anything, they just soak up sweat then feel cool in the wind because they're wet.

Actually, they can be effective if you keep them wet. When riding in Florida in the summer, I continually douse mine with one water bottle, while drinking from the other. I have to stop about every 15'ish miles to refill the bottles but, the life of a cyclist in the middle of July in Florida is not an easy one. Of course one can continually wet their bare arms and the effect will be similar, maybe even better, but it will also gradually wash the sunscreen off. Having said this, if you wear the sleeves without keeping them wet then its just as you say, they are not very effective.

daker13
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Allowed or not, thank you for posting this link. I just picked up two pairs. FYI, the current offer is buy one get one half off.

No problem. I wore them for 35 miles today and thought they worked pretty well in the humid and sunny low 80s.

Most of those auctions seem to be selling virtually the same product. I ordered a couple pairs from Texas, which came fast, and a couple very cheap pairs from China, which will probably arrive next Christmas.

sandyrs
06-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Actually, they can be effective if you keep them wet. When riding in Florida in the summer, I continually douse mine with one water bottle, while drinking from the other. I have to stop about every 15'ish miles to refill the bottles but, the life of a cyclist in the middle of July in Florida is not an easy one. Of course one can continually wet their bare arms and the effect will be similar, maybe even better, but it will also gradually wash the sunscreen off. Having said this, if you wear the sleeves without keeping them wet then its just as you say, they are not very effective.

Yeah, I kind of meant that it was clear when using them that the reason they were having a cooling effect was because they were wet (from my sweat), and the wind was causing the wet sleeves to feel cool. That's why they don't really work on sustained climbs (see: every professional cyclist ever not wearing sun sleeves in the Tour, though that obviously does not apply to Florida or Boston where I live). I've found the cooling effect on bare arms to be similar, but with the sleeves always feeling a bit warmer.

daker13
06-07-2016, 02:28 PM

To me, the problem is the most effective suntan lotion (and the stuff that's supposed to be the least harmful to your skin) is the stuff that has the consistency of diaper cream. A sun shirt seems like a reasonable alternative.

sandyrs
06-07-2016, 02:39 PM
To me, the problem is the most effective suntan lotion (and the stuff that's supposed to be the least harmful to your skin) is the stuff that has the consistency of diaper cream. A sun shirt seems like a reasonable alternative.

I don't have kids so I'm not sure what that consistency is, but if it's thick and difficult to rub into your skin (like zinc oxide), then yeah, agreed. :)

hooter
06-07-2016, 05:04 PM
The Performance long sleeve sun blocking jersey runs like a snug "club fit". I read the reviews.

I have one of the Performance jerseys in XL and it fits me like REI's line of Novara jerseys in XL, on a generous club size. I normally wear a XXL club jersey.

54ny77
06-07-2016, 05:26 PM
it seems so counterintuitive about wearing long sleeves while riding, but do they really work? does it have to be tight fitting or just snug?

i see more & more guys fishing in warm climes using long sleeve high performance fabric gear, including bandanas, etc.

HenryA
06-07-2016, 06:08 PM
It'll make a huge difference when the wearer gets some years on their bodies and they don't have sun damaged skin or cancer.

But to answer the question directly, some fabrics pass a lot of air and provide shade and that can be cooler than bare skin. I have some outdoor shirts like that and they seem to work.