PDA

View Full Version : could be fun: New Soma Fog Cutter

eddief
06-06-2016, 10:08 PM
http://somafab.blogspot.com/2016/06/coming-soon-fog-cutter.html

Can't wait to see the matching straight blade disc fork.

JAGI410
06-06-2016, 10:11 PM
I like it!

hollowgram5
06-06-2016, 10:12 PM
This is quite interesting. Similar enough to the passhunter disc from VO as a frameset, but definitely a Soma..

bobswire
06-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Hey Eddie this would be a terrific bike for the terrain in and around Petaluma/Santa Rosa area as well as the City. I love my Soma Stanyan but it's limited to tire size with long reach brakes. This one will be on my "to check out" list. I've probably owned more Soma frames than any other brand and liked them all.

thirdgenbird
06-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Yum.

Straight 1 1/8th? Seems those are getting harder to find for discs but it doesn't bother me. I would take mine with the straight steel double cross fork. (Pending how the carbon unit looks and performs)

Oh, and you better believe mine would have TRP hylex wet brakes paired with downtube shifters.

eddief
06-06-2016, 10:53 PM
too many bikes already.

Hey Eddie this would be a terrific bike for the terrain in and around Petaluma/Santa Rosa area as well as the City. I love my Soma Stanyan but it's limited to tire size with long reach brakes. This one will be on my "to check out" list. I've probably owned more Soma frames than any other brand and liked them all.

Ti Designs
06-06-2016, 11:07 PM
So there's a different type of bike for everything you ride over (road, cross, gravel, sand, snow, slime...), now there's a type of bike for weather conditions (sun, wind, fog, snow, hail > 1/2", hail < 1/2", smog...). Tomorrow morning I'll be riding my road bike for poorly paved roads in cloudy conditions. I'll have my road bike for poorly paved roads in rain on the roof of the follow car just in case.

adamhell
06-06-2016, 11:21 PM
somas are perfectly trashy. i love my grand randonneur with the crooked words on the top tube. it rides good and the welds look good, too. their models are more interesting and specific than surly's IMDO (in my dumb opinion)

dustyrider
06-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Tomorrow morning I'll be riding my road bike for poorly paved roads in cloudy conditions. I'll have my road bike for poorly paved roads in rain on the roof of the follow car just in case.

How did you know what my ride tomorrow is going to look like? :eek:

Mikeys
06-06-2016, 11:29 PM
when will they come out with a threadless, disc version of the grand randonneur?

pakora
06-06-2016, 11:35 PM
If they make the terrific size range in this that they do of their road sport bike, I'll get one instead of a custom bike.

Anarchist
06-06-2016, 11:41 PM
J.H.Murphy ,

What's with the goose neck ???

acoffin
06-06-2016, 11:54 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Fog Cutter geometry compares to a Twin Six Rando. It sounds like they will be pretty darn similar, and at about the same price point. I'm not ruling either out of my future.

jtakeda
06-07-2016, 12:16 AM
So there's a different type of bike for everything you ride over (road, cross, gravel, sand, snow, slime...), now there's a type of bike for weather conditions (sun, wind, fog, snow, hail > 1/2", hail < 1/2", smog...). Tomorrow morning I'll be riding my road bike for poorly paved roads in cloudy conditions. I'll have my road bike for poorly paved roads in rain on the roof of the follow car just in case.

I have S&S couplers on all my bikes so I can mix and match all of my different frames. Makes it real easy to find a bike to ride depending on road and condition.

Obviously kidding but I'm gonna have to agree with Ti designs. I usually ride the same bike everyday, in SF.

Sure it might not be the best tool on a given day but I certainly don't need to go and design a new bike.

alexstar
06-07-2016, 12:49 AM
Soma's bikes have always been a decent value. I could see myself buying one as a fat tire all-rounder and it seems like a good way to dip my toe into the pond of disc brakes on the road. Also, call me shallow, but I love their new-ish headbadge with Sutro Tower in the fog. Can't wait to see the geometry.

jmal
06-07-2016, 05:32 AM
A few more spacers and it would be perfect...

Cicli
06-07-2016, 05:44 AM
Thats a good looking bike.

Years ago I had a Soma Smoothie because I couldnt swing a Gunnar. It was a pretty good bike. Rode nicely even though it was heavy.

Their frames are a good value.

geordanh
06-07-2016, 04:28 PM
This could be very interesting. Based on their description, I could see the final geo being very close to the endpoint coffee grinder which would be excellent. Relatively short chainstays (the disc double cross is 425mm which they say they've emulated here) and angles that are actually fun to ride on the road.

Sounds great! Cheaper alternative to the Salsa Colossal and more practical (bigger tires, better mount options etc).

tumbler
06-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Curious why they went with half a foot of spacers for the prototype build. I also hope it's not red, but I'm guessing it will be. Looks pretty cool otherwise.

eddief
06-07-2016, 06:05 PM
headtubes (my preference) so thinking this frame will be in that same ballbark. 58 cm bike, 17 or or so cm headtube.

charliedid
06-07-2016, 09:02 PM
A few more spacers and it would be perfect...

Indeed

bcroslin
06-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't know if it's age or I've been hanging around here too long but I like it.

With that said what is up with the steer tube and spacers?

bobswire
06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't know if it's age or I've been hanging around here too long but I like it.

With that said what is up with the steer tube and spacers?

It was out for a photo shoot and they probably didn't want to cut the steer tube down for a photo shoot *for whatever reason. The other photo shows it as a frame without the fork. Notice no action shoots.

sandyrs
06-07-2016, 09:44 PM
It was out for a photo shoot and they probably didn't want to cut the steer tube down for a photo shoot *for whatever reason. The other photo shows it as a frame without the fork. Notice no action shoots.

That doesn't account for the stem being where it is, turned upward, instead of in a more typical spot on the steerer. With such a bolt-upright setup, it's hard to take any testing on the bike seriously since almost nobody would set it up that way.

guido
06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
It is a prototype likely a 56cm or so that needs to be tested by riders of various sizes. So it has a long seatpost and an uncut steerer with spacers. With an assortment of stems you can give a reasonable approximation for a lot of fits...

tumbler
06-08-2016, 08:26 AM
It is a prototype likely a 56cm or so that needs to be tested by riders of various sizes. So it has a long seatpost and an uncut steerer with spacers. With an assortment of stems you can give a reasonable approximation for a lot of fits...

Still... they could have set it up like every one of their bikes sitting at the local bike shop and it would have been fine for potential test riders. It's obviously not a big deal, but I think if you're going to do a photoshoot, the bike should at least look like a normal bike.

FlashUNC
06-08-2016, 08:47 AM
For your first shot showing the bike to the world, something other than that needs to happen. Yeesh.

Looks cool otherwise. Yet another on the gravel grinder-y woodpile.

soulspinner
06-08-2016, 08:55 AM

:)

soulspinner
06-08-2016, 09:05 AM

:)

acoffin
06-08-2016, 11:20 PM
It looks like the bike pictured has a Tange Prestige sticker. I like that Soma is opting for this tube set on some of their frames. Hopefully they stick with it for the production version.

jmal
06-09-2016, 05:18 AM
It looks like the bike pictured has a Tange Prestige sticker. I like that Soma is opting for this tube set on some of their frames. Hopefully they stick with it for the production version.

They usually use Tange on the "main" tubes, and generic 4130 on the rest. That is how the Double Cross is built.

type2sam
09-17-2016, 06:36 AM
Looks like they've got the frame with specs up on the Soma site now. FAQ and geo too. They list a 66cm as an offered size but it's missing from the geo table.

No new info on pricing either.

Tickdoc
09-17-2016, 06:54 AM
reminds me of the fierte, except for the dropouts.

-holiday76
09-17-2016, 07:09 AM
I've become a big fan of drop bars and disc brakes.

Black Dog
09-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Curious why they went with half a foot of spacers for the prototype build. I also hope it's not red, but I'm guessing it will be. Looks pretty cool otherwise.

The spacers are there because the testers were not all the same height and needed to adjust the bike to fit different riders.

type2sam
09-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Alas, the claim of a 66cm was not true for the first shipment. Maybe in the second shipment if volumes are good.

Looks like they've got the frame with specs up on the Soma site now. FAQ and geo too. They list a 66cm as an offered size but it's missing from the geo table.

No new info on pricing either.

martinez
09-20-2016, 12:45 AM
looks pretty nice!
was worried about that steerer tube, but I get it now!
so it should be have more road geo than touring/cx, correct?
price point is nice. are Tange Prestige tubes any better than regular 4130?

geordanh
09-25-2016, 09:07 PM
I've put my order in through my LBS for frame and matching fork (which I don't think anyone's seen a pic of yet).

Arrival date is supposed to be three weeks from now. Will post pics once I get it.

To be honest, I've sort of been all hot and cold on this one cause of that paint job and how fugly the pics of it shown so far are. Looks like hell compared to a wolverine for instance.

thinking of having it powder coated silver when it arrives and painting the fork black or something. There's just something not quite jiving with that shade of red.

Maybe it's just all those effing spacers distorting my perspective.

jason7878
09-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Maybe it's just all those effing spacers distorting my perspective.

How's the bike, you ride yet

geordanh
11-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Still waiting for my frame to arrive. Should come this week, but PSA, if anyone else is interested in buying one of these, Soma has a 20% off sale right now.

Use Coupon Code: VOTE2016

Here's the first picture of one built up with the carbon fork. Obviously too many spacers, but looks nice. Has me reconsidered sending this off to paint right away.

geordanh
11-28-2016, 11:39 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/fd7273172310128a905453b865fc2849.jpg

Got this guy rolling in 650b mode. Have a matching 700c king disc wheel set for skinny tires that I can swap in and out depending on what I'm doing.

Still some work to be done (like removing those terrible stan's decals) but almost there.

Rides awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KidWok
11-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Good looking build! Any concern about pedal strike with 650B wheels and the lower BB drop? I was thinking about converting my Double Cross Disc to 650B as it has a higher BB.

Tai

ColonelJLloyd
11-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Very nice! Are those the 38mm or 42mm Pari Motos?

FWIW, I recently built up a set of the Crest Mk3 rims and the logos came out to be 10g between the two. Your wheels will look better and be that much lighter. ;)

geordanh
11-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely conscious of the bb height when pedalling. I'd ordered the 45mm pari motos but shop brought in the 38s by accident and I didn't want to wait. What I'm thinking I will do now is buy one of the 45s and put it on the front. Will slacken the head angle a bit for steep gravel/dirt etc which will be nice plus raise the bb somewhat.

alexstar
11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Bike looks great! I find myself seriously considering one for an all-rounder/commuter.

ColonelJLloyd
11-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely conscious of the bb height when pedalling. I'd ordered the 45mm pari motos but shop brought in the 38s by accident and I didn't want to wait. What I'm thinking I will do now is buy one of the 45s and put it on the front. Will slacken the head angle a bit for steep gravel/dirt etc which will be nice plus raise the bb somewhat.

Are you sure you don't mean 42-584? I'm unaware of a 45mm version.

geordanh
11-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Hmm seems you're right. I thought there was a 1.75 inch version (45ishmm). Maybe I should put a fatter compass tire on the front instead. Apparently a 584 47mm front should squeeze in. Eyeballing it that seems about right.

On a semi related note - I blew the rear pari Moto off the rim setting up tubeless at 60 psi (apparently a very stupid tubeless rookie mistake going that high) it's riding fine now at 40psi tubeless - for safety would you guys put a tube in now given its blown off once?

ColonelJLloyd
11-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Hmm seems you're right. I thought there was a 1.75 inch version (45ishmm). Maybe I should put a fatter compass tire on the front instead. Apparently a 584 47mm front should squeeze in. Eyeballing it that seems about right.

On a semi related note - I blew the rear pari Moto off the rim setting up tubeless at 60 psi (apparently a very stupid tubeless rookie mistake going that high) it's riding fine now at 40psi tubeless - for safety would you guys put a tube in now given its blown off once?

The 42-584 Pacentis are labeled 1.75" and the 38mm labeled 1.5"; pretty silly. Even though they are not tubeless ready I mounted them that way. Same story here. It was my first tubeless install and I left them overnight at 50psi with Orange Seal. Early the next morning I heard the asplosion of the front and walked to the basement to see a few ounces of Orange Seal over everything.

I ran them at 40/35 psi and the tubeless setup was fine for the few hundred miles I rode them (moved the wheelset along). My 1.75" tires measured exactly that on Blunt SS (26.6 internal). With those Crests I would imagine you'll get 42-43mm for sure. I wouldn't risk the Compass SBH. FWIW, they measured 51.5mm on the same Blunt SS rims (with tubes). The Pari Moto is about the lightest and most fragile (thin tread) 650b fatty you can buy. My 42-584s weighed 325g and 326g.

geordanh
11-29-2016, 01:29 AM
That's awesome insight Lloyd, thanks!

austex
05-24-2017, 02:51 PM

What's the six-month follow-up assessment here, geordanh? One of these could save me a buncha money over Gunnar Hyper-XX...

geordanh
05-25-2017, 10:10 AM
It's a sweet bike. It's a blast on the dirt with 650b wheels, and rides great on the road obviously with it's pretty standard geo. super flexible bike. Just a bit on the heavier side with the Alu steerer fork. That's the only downside in my opinion. Selling mine now cause I just bought a stigmata cause I'm too much of a weenie.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170525/ca04a9ecaba4a522e21c5b42cb18d55c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170525/1938381c020505c0102d0eaec0350a9a.jpg

stephenmarklay
05-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Dig the bike. I could roll one of these for sure.

Makuman
05-25-2017, 10:54 AM
I could be in the market for a Fog Cutter! :)

MikeD
05-25-2017, 06:38 PM
It's a sweet bike. It's a blast on the dirt with 650b wheels, and rides great on the road obviously with it's pretty standard geo. super flexible bike. Just a bit on the heavier side with the Alu steerer fork. That's the only downside in my opinion. Selling mine now cause I just bought a stigmata cause I'm too much of a weenie.

What does the bike weigh? I've got a Bruce Gordon BLT that I'm using as a gravel bike and it weighs 28 lbs. I want some lighter.

geordanh
05-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Mine came in at around 23lbs with pedals and stuff. Could go lighter with finishing kit and maybe shave a bit on saddle and wheels and drop the power meter.

Bumped my classifieds post if any of you want a 58cm. I haven't gotten to taking proper pics yet. Still riding it. Will strip it down and get some proper frame detail shots up.