PDA

View Full Version : Converting road bike to SS

bjf
06-05-2016, 05:23 PM
It's been a while since I've asked any dumb questions (here, anyway), so I thought I'd get back in the game:

I have a nice 10s road frame (130mm rear) that I'd like to convert into a single speed. SS freewheel, two brakes. Nothing else. What do I need to get to make this happen? (Ti, not steel, so no cold setting the frame to change the spacing.)

Thanks, all.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2016, 05:28 PM
It's been a while since I've asked any dumb questions (here, anyway), so I thought I'd get back in the game:

I have a nice 10s road frame (130mm rear) that I'd like to convert into a single speed. SS freewheel, two brakes. Nothing else. What do I need to get to make this happen? (Ti, not steel, so no cold setting the frame to change the spacing.)

Thanks, all.

You 'need' short chainring bolts(mount single ring on inside), some cogset spacers, a single cassette cog, shorter chain and a way to tension the chain. Either a chain tensioner or a hacked rear der..cut the lower pulley off, use the b limit screw to push upper pulley against the chain(inside out).

SoCalSteve
06-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Thanks, all.

Save yourself a bunch of headaches and have a rear wheel built with the White Industries ENO eccentric hub.

You can thank me later...:beer:

Cicli
06-05-2016, 05:33 PM
What is the frame?
Dropout style?

If it has modern dropouts the WI ENo is the way to go.

ptourkin
06-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and have a rear wheel built with the White Industries ENO eccentric hub.

You can thank me later...:beer:

Yup. If you want to try the other methods, this is the bible:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

p nut
06-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Cheapest way is to use your existing derailer, you can leave the small chainring on there (meaning no need to buy shorter bolts). Buy a cog (unless you have an old cassette you can break apart, but the narrow base may mark up the freehub) and spacers (1.25" pvc pipe works as well). Easy peasy.

RFC
06-05-2016, 11:30 PM
It's a piece of cake. I have built up about 20 road bike single speeds for family and friends.

As stated above, spacers and cog on hyperglide hub.

Vertical rear dropouts are slightly more complicated, but now much more.

Either use a tensioner or simply tailor the fit with a half link. A little play in the chain is actually a good thing. As long as it is not so loose as to fall off the chain ring, it generates less friction than a tight chain.

I've never seen the need to go to the trouble and expense of an eno hub. It's like the steel bike rear stay cold setting myth. There is no reason to do it.