PDA

View Full Version : Etap questions...

SoCalSteve
06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Hi all,

Anyone go there yet? If so, thoughts???

And, will a Shimano 11 speed drivetrain ( crank-chain-cassette- brakes ) work with the Etap derauilers and shifters?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

molly47
06-04-2016, 08:48 PM
i cant tell you if compatible with shimano,but i just got my E tap set up this week and it is fantastic shifts amazing,silent and accurate,no wires and easy to recharge,Clean looking.
I plan on putting it on two future bikes waiting for the Hydro version..

eBAUMANN
06-04-2016, 09:06 PM
And, will a Shimano 11 speed drivetrain ( crank-chain-cassette- brakes ) work with the Etap derauilers and shifters?

Id bet quite a bit of money they would fine, seeing as how (to my knowledge) nothing has changed in the SRAM chain/chainring/cassette/brake dept since eTap dropped, and those parts all work fine together now.

SoCalSteve
06-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Id bet quite a bit of money they would fine, seeing as how (to my knowledge) nothing has changed in the SRAM chain/chainring/cassette/brake dept since eTap dropped, and those parts all work fine together now.

Awesome! Thanks!

I may give it a whirl one day as I do have LOTS of Shimano 11 speed components lying around. Been meaning to build up my Kirk as a single speed, but this may change my mind to geared.

Any idea if a 6700 crankset will work with an 11 speed chain?

vqdriver
06-05-2016, 12:21 AM
i cant tell you if compatible with shimano,but i just got my E tap set up this week and it is fantastic shifts amazing,silent and accurate,no wires and easy to recharge,Clean looking.
I plan on putting it on two future bikes waiting for the Hydro version..

Hows the 2 handed front shifting? Do you just get used to it quickly like double tap?
Feel of the hood shape similar? I love that my sram 10sp hoods are small.

Muffin Man
06-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

I may give it a whirl one day as I do have LOTS of Shimano 11 speed components lying around. Been meaning to build up my Kirk as a single speed, but this may change my mind to geared.

Yeah it'll work. 10 and 11 chain inners are the same width, so chainrings work with both. I'm using 10s sram rings with my campy 11 right now.

Joxster
06-05-2016, 01:34 AM
Yeah it'll work. 10 and 11 chain inners are the same width, so chainrings work with both. I'm using 10s sram rings with my campy 11 right now.

And you will burn in hell for doing so :no::no:

oldpotatoe
06-05-2016, 05:54 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

10s CRs further apart than 11s so you will probably get chain rub at one 'extreme' or other. When Di2 was brand new and some were putting it on 10s 'systems(cranks)..rubbing at best, chain wouldn't get up to big ring or wouldn't come off big ring, at worst. Get some 11s rings and I think it would work fine.

I should edit..the 11s chain doesn't care about 10s crank and the chain rub is with very positional front ders, like Di2, EPS, and shimano mechanical 11s..11s Campag, SR/Record/Chorus..the 10s crank will work just fine.

But your initial question, sure, a 11s chain 'mates' with a 10s crank just fine.

As for etap..sorry, I don't get the shifting protocol. I know how it works, but 2 shifters for one rear der, and 2 shifters(together) for one front der...it'd be like having 2 shift levers to get your car into reverse. 'Intuitive' is only how the marketeers describe it..yes, yes, it works and you can get used to it but Right-rear, left front..shifter, makes more sense to me, IMHO and all that.

AJosiahK
06-05-2016, 08:42 AM
It would work, no doubt look funny tho !

Etap bits can run off your current SRAM drivetrain so give it a shot.

Easy set up and swap. My shop has a demo kit on a demo bike (bling) which I got to assemble and test ride. Very nice. As for the kit I have not yet put it through it's proper paces to decide.

Ajk

Muffin Man
06-05-2016, 08:51 AM
And you will burn in hell for doing so :no::no:

I can't afford a campy SRM of power2max, otherwise I'd be using all campy :(

Heisenberg
06-05-2016, 10:46 AM
My experience after a couple thousand miles on eTap:

-SRAM Cassette: SRAM-y. Very solid shifts. Occasional SRAMnoise.
-Campy Cassette (Chorus and Super Record): Shifts a bit cleaner than the SRAM cassette, but very occasional hesitation.
-Shimano Cassette (Dura Ace): Ehhhh...it shifts okay, but I experienced a lot of noise. I was less than enthused.

Of course, a few other factors come into play - wear, chainline, etc, so you may have a lovely time with Shimano hard parts on eTap.

chiasticon
06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
As for etap..sorry, I don't get the shifting protocol. I know how it works, but 2 shifters for one rear der, and 2 shifters(together) for one front der...it'd be like having 2 shift levers to get your car into reverse. 'Intuitive' is only how the marketeers describe it..yes, yes, it works and you can get used to it but Right-rear, left front..shifter, makes more sense to me, IMHO and all that.I totally get your complaint. and for sure you're not the only one making it. but it's weird that it's made so much without mentioning that this shifting protocol is the default for di2 sprint shifters. which is less intuitive to me - one method of shifting when riding levers, another when in the drops. I get why it is designed that way; just saying, it's weird too.

to the OP: sram of course claim you need their 22 drivetrain in order to get best performance with etap shift kit. which likely means it's fine with shimano drivetrain, but may require a bit of extra fiddling versus full sram 22 drivetrain. tho I doubt it, really. anyway, that's your question: sram 22 shift bits with shimano drivetrain. so maybe googling that will yield further affirmation that it'll all work ok.

crankles
06-05-2016, 12:47 PM
As for etap..sorry, I don't get the shifting protocol. I know how it works, but 2 shifters for one rear der, and 2 shifters(together) for one front der...it'd be like having 2 shift levers to get your car into reverse. 'Intuitive' is only how the marketeers describe it..yes, yes, it works and you can get used to it but Right-rear, left front..shifter, makes more sense to me, IMHO and all that.

I totally get it and love it. I've been racing di2 for cross. Right shifter buttons are close enough that on bumpy courses, or on cold days with heavier gloves, I've mis-shifted. Not possible with with etap.

next cross bike will be etap.

chiasticon
06-05-2016, 01:35 PM
I totally get it and love it. I've been racing di2 for cross. Right shifter buttons are close enough that on bumpy courses, or on cold days with heavier gloves, I've mis-shifted. Not possible with with etap.

next cross bike will be etap.same. could not get used to di2 for road even, can't imagine cross with bumpy and cold conditions. if it were cheaper now I'd grab it for my cx bike but I'm waiting for force level etap. sealed cabling is amazing but no cabling for mud/crud to get into is even better.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2016, 05:25 PM

next cross bike will be etap.

Not possible with EPS either. REAL Bumpy courses and ya want to shift the chainring..to hold both levers and hit shifter paddles at the same time, yup, that'll work..you will end up shifting the rear up or down instead....unless you do the 1by gig..which sram hopes you will...

Ya know, 'I get it' too, just think it's overly complicated and an ode to double tap shifters..which by(others) patent, they are pretty much stuck with.

crankles
06-05-2016, 06:26 PM
um...campy + cross is kinda of a non starter. Last time I raced campy in a cross race was back on an alan with a campy record rear, a mavic front mech, campy bar-ends and some Barum tires....that was like 100 yrs ago...

just think it's overly complicated

Don't really get that logic. 2 buttons vs. 4 buttons is more complicated?
The shifting logic allows for a simpler system which allowed for smaller, simpler, and less expensive remotes.

I know you only allow campy to date yer daughters, but that argument is stretching it a bit...

Heisenberg
06-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Not possible with EPS either. REAL Bumpy courses and ya want to shift the chainring..to hold both levers and hit shifter paddles at the same time, yup, that'll work..you will end up shifting the rear up or down instead....unless you do the 1by gig..which sram hopes you will...

Ya know, 'I get it' too, just think it's overly complicated and an ode to double tap shifters..which by(others) patent, they are pretty much stuck with.

eTap is a lot more intuitive and simple from a conceptual perspective, as well as from a real-world one. It's a very easy system to grasp, and in seven months I've yet to find myself in a position where I wished I'd had up/down on one shift unit. In an effort to circumvent patents, SRAM happened upon an extremely elegant way of changing gears.

In fact, when I jump back on my Campy mechanical bikes the shifting takes a bit to get back into - not so when I get on an eTap setup. It feels very natural.

ps: I hated SRAM until I rode/owned eTap. YMMV.

djg21
06-05-2016, 06:57 PM

I played with it, and it seems like it would be very easy to get used too. I don't know how much of a problem using two shifters together is. Simultaneously clutching with a foot while shifting with a hand has never been a problem for me in a car. It will be on my next bike unless Shimano comes out with a competing product.

bcroslin
06-05-2016, 07:33 PM
After running SRAM Red 10sp for years I swore I would never own another SRAM anything ever again but after playing with e-tap recently I can say it's pretty slick. I hate wires and cables on anything and just the fact there are zero cables makes me want e-tap. I'm waiting for wireless Di2 but if Shimano doesn't deliver with the new DA group I will likely go e-tap soon.

I should also note I'm setting my Wraith up with SRAM Force 1 so I've already been lured back to the dark side.

My one question for those of you running e-tap is, is it basically plug-and-play out of the box?

pdmtong
06-05-2016, 09:07 PM
I move between road and mtb. Switching between campy double tap and Shimano take about half a block to get reoriented. Same with SRAM triggers versus Shimano triggers versus gripshift.

eTap same thing. I got it within minutes in the parking lot. My two pals with eTap report adoption no big deal.

IMHO there's no reason to look at di2 or eps anymore.

Gummee
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
IMHO there's no reason to look at di2 or eps anymore.

2 words: beta tester

As in 'that's what you'll be with SRAM.'

I'll wait till Shimano comes out with their version thankyouverymuch.

M

chiasticon
06-05-2016, 11:04 PM
REAL Bumpy courses and ya want to shift the chainring..to hold both levers and hit shifter paddles at the same time, yup, that'll work..you will end up shifting the rear up or down instead....not really a fair argument... any cx racer running 2X knows to time their front shifting for when the course is least likely to drop/jam their chain (i.e. NOT hella bumpy). but you're right, sram will for sure push a cx1 group. and that's fine. 1X is great for cross.

chiasticon
06-05-2016, 11:09 PM

As in 'that's what you'll be with SRAM.'

I'll wait till Shimano comes out with their version thankyouverymuch.pros have been beta-testing it for two years now but I guess that's not enough... for sure future gens will be better. first gen di2 wasn't exactly perfect...

but yeah, throwing stones is fun :fight:

SoCalSteve
06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
pros have been beta-testing it for two years now but I guess that's not enough... for sure future gens will be better. first gen di2 wasn't exactly perfect...

but yeah, throwing stones is fun :fight:

From first gen DI2 to second was all about wiring options. Don't have that at all with Etap...also, Garmin jumped on the bandwagon as well as now they have battery levels and gear ratio visuals ( just like DI2 ). Actually better than DI2 as its built in and wireless...unlike DI2 integration ( which comes at a cost as well ).

Anyone have a connection to get Etap at any kind of a discount? I think I wanna take the plunge for my Kirk.

Thanks to everyone for your insights, thoughts and opinions. Even Old Spud...:crap:...:p

pdmtong
06-06-2016, 12:21 AM
As in 'that's what you'll be with SRAM.' I'll wait till Shimano comes out with their version thankyouverymuch. M

keep waiting...meanwhile the rest of us will be enjoying our electrons.

for the sake of argument what could shiimano improve on that is not already on SRAM's list?
- improved battery life
- more granular battery life indicator
- weight
- aesthetic

what's left for shimano to innovate?

As up and down on SRAM as I have been since their inception it is absolutely brilliant how they maneuvered around the patent barricades and changed the game on top.

it no longer matters that 9000 front shifting is the best in the industry when you have a motor doing the work.

oldpotatoe
06-06-2016, 05:59 AM
um...campy + cross is kinda of a non starter. Last time I raced campy in a cross race was back on an alan with a campy record rear, a mavic front mech, campy bar-ends and some Barum tires....that was like 100 yrs ago...

Don't really get that logic. 2 buttons vs. 4 buttons is more complicated?
The shifting logic allows for a simpler system which allowed for smaller, simpler, and less expensive remotes.

I know you only allow campy to date yer daughters, but that argument is stretching it a bit...

Logic, now that's funny. Not 'arguing' at all..think just about anything sram is poor, IMHO

Considering the $ sram pours into 'cross, I'm surprised they don't do better. In the US, not bad, in Europe..pale to shimano.

-OUT

tele
06-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Anyone have a connection to get Etap at any kind of a discount? I think I wanna take the plunge for my Kirk.

Here is something I saw this weekend: Art's Cyclery is having a "sale"...you get back a gift card for meeting spending thresholds. Spend over $1650 and get a $500 gc. Etap starts at $1660....

If I had the coin I would get the shift/rd/fd group....after gc the price would be about $1100.

chiasticon
06-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Considering the $ sram pours into 'cross, I'm surprised they don't do better. In the US, not bad, in Europe..pale to shimano.its beside the point and not worth arguing over, but this is untrue. biggest teams are Sunweb, Telnet, Golden Palace, BKCP. there's many more, but those are the most well-known and successful ones. only BKCP was on Shimano as of last season, but I think Telnet will be on Shimano/Trek this year.

benb
06-06-2016, 08:46 AM
How is eTap with full finger/winter gloves? Seems like it would be ideal.

SoCalSteve
06-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Here is something I saw this weekend: Art's Cyclery is having a "sale"...you get back a gift card for meeting spending thresholds. Spend over $1650 and get a $500 gc. Etap starts at $1660....

If I had the coin I would get the shift/rd/fd group....after gc the price would be about $1100.

Thanks for the heads up...but, the sale ended yesterday and they don't have it in stock ( only applies to stock on hand ).

Anyone else have thoughts on ways to get a discount?

Thanks!

chiasticon
06-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up...but, the sale ended yesterday and they don't have it in stock ( only applies to stock on hand ).

Anyone else have thoughts on ways to get a discount? larts. code "SAVE15"

SoCalSteve
06-06-2016, 09:50 AM
arts. code "SAVE15"

No go, all the SRAM items I want don't apply for discounts. Thanks for the thought!

sitzmark
06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Maybe enter JensonUSA via activejunky.com for a 6% cash back rebate?
High demand item, so off shelf discounts going to be hard to come by for now. No LBS affiliation - ride club membership with accompanying hardgoods discount?

Steve the Bike Guy - Sherborne, MA has full gruppo in stock ready to go, but not likely that he's discounting or splitting ... just giving choices on crank options.

chiasticon
06-06-2016, 10:31 AM
No go, all the SRAM items I want don't apply for discounts. Thanks for the thought!it definitely does work for etap shift kit (ask me how I know). maybe not right now with the coupon deal auto added to your cart though...

SoCalSteve
06-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Maybe enter JensonUSA via activejunky.com for a 6% cash back rebate?
High demand item, so off shelf discounts going to be hard to come by for now. No LBS affiliation - ride club membership with accompanying hardgoods discount?

Steve the Bike Guy - Sherborne, MA has full gruppo in stock ready to go, but not likely that he's discounting or splitting ... just giving choices on crank options.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Steve! Nice guy, had a complete grouppo with the options I wanted at a decent price...so, I bought it!

Look for my Kirk in the gallery soon with a complete ETap Red 22 group. Very excited!!!

djg21
06-07-2016, 05:58 PM
No go, all the SRAM items I want don't apply for discounts. Thanks for the thought!

I always buy gruppos from Performance. I am a Team Performance member and get points for the purchase towards future purchases. I also find the lowest internet pricing that Performance will match. Last time I bought my full Dura Ace group except for the crankset, and then used the points to pay for the crankset and other miscellaneous parts in a second transaction. Try to wait for a double-points promotion if you can.

SoCalSteve
06-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I always buy gruppos from Performance. I am a Team Performance member and get points for the purchase towards future purchases. I also find the lowest internet pricing that Performance will match. Last time I bought my full Dura Ace group except for the crankset, and then used the points to pay for the crankset and other miscellaneous parts in a second transaction. Try to wait for a double-points promotion if you can.

Wonder if after all that you still paid more than buying it from the UK...:confused:

sitzmark
06-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Excellent! Wishing you many many miles of riding enjoyment on the Kirk.

Steve probably surprised - not a shop I frequent often I but knew he had the gruppo. Happy it all worked out.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Steve! Nice guy, had a complete grouppo with the options I wanted at a decent price...so, I bought it!

Look for my Kirk in the gallery soon with a complete ETap Red 22 group. Very excited!!!

kitsnob
06-07-2016, 06:45 PM
My experience after a couple thousand miles on eTap:

-SRAM Cassette: SRAM-y. Very solid shifts. Occasional SRAMnoise.
-Campy Cassette (Chorus and Super Record): Shifts a bit cleaner than the SRAM cassette, but very occasional hesitation.
-Shimano Cassette (Dura Ace): Ehhhh...it shifts okay, but I experienced a lot of noise. I was less than enthused.

Of course, a few other factors come into play - wear, chainline, etc, so you may have a lovely time with Shimano hard parts on eTap.

Heisen:
Some have reported that if your accustomed to DI2/EPS and move to ETap, the shifting is not as crisp, "fast" as the Italian/Japanese stuff and those that are not familiar with it don't notice ...
Since you have ridden them ALL way ahead of the general population, what do you say/think?

SoCalSteve
06-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Excellent! Wishing you many many miles of riding enjoyment on the Kirk.

Steve probably surprised - not a shop I frequent often I but knew he had the gruppo. Happy it all worked out.

He was totally surprised! Was a bit confused as well ( but not in a bad way ).You may want to go in and see him to clear it up.

Seems like a great guy. Generous with his time and knowledge. Said he would ship tomorrow and included shipping in his ( less than MSRP ) price. Rather do business with someone like that than R & A. They have full groups in stock, but wanted a couple hundred more.