PDA

View Full Version : Please help with 9000 FD cabling...

oldguy00
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
OK, I don't have the plastic tool thingy....I am trying to recable a 2010 Cervelo S3. I cannot get the DA fd to tune properly so that it has enough pull to fully move the fd to the point of no chain rub when in the fd, despite the limit screw being wide open.
I've now fished two fd cables through this frame because the first got too frayed from attempts at getting this to work. I'm about to lose my ****.....

Please tell me how to properly rout this cable in the fd bolt!!!! Help!!!!

oldpotatoe
06-03-2016, 04:26 PM
OK, I don't have the plastic tool thingy....I am trying to recable a 2010 Cervelo S3. I cannot get the DA fd to tune properly so that it has enough pull to fully move the fd to the point of no chain rub when in the fd, despite the limit screw being wide open.
I've now fished two fd cables through this frame because the first got too frayed from attempts at getting this to work. I'm about to lose my ****.....

Please tell me how to properly rout this cable in the fd bolt!!!! Help!!!!

Ya need the plastic thing or at least route the cable the 'other' way. Like this ir this. And cable needs to be TIGHT(adjust chain touching cage in bg cog, small ring...then pull on cable, as tight as you can..tighten fixig bolt, then turn inner limit screw out a wee bit..0.0-.5mm clearance, clarence).

BobbyJones
06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I just went through this last week with my first DA9000 install.

Set everything up (using the cable guide) and noticed the same issue. Went for a 10 mile ride to bed everything in, figuring I'd just stay out of the big/small combo to avoid cage rub as I was anxious to get everything else all set. Noticed the FD had enough clearance if I pulled on the cable, but the shifter just wasn't pulling those extra millimeters

Got home and did about 2 hours of internet research and found all sorts of work arounds.

Went through a by-the-book set up again but making sure the cable was pulled TIGHT as OP says. The 9000FD needs a lot of tension to work properly from everything I read. All was good after that. ( I also have barrel adjusters at the DT)

If that fails, Zinn did a nice, explanatory article at VeloNews on it. My last resort was to give this a shot...post #31 (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/shimano-9000-front-derailleur-setup-issues-36114-2.html?)

Good luck. (and why the heck are your cables getting frayed?)

hmai18
06-03-2016, 10:26 PM
http://www.moonigan.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/15/how-to-setup-a-shimano-ultegra-6800-front-derailleur/

geordanh
06-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Barrel adjust that sucker till it trims proper.

Gummee
06-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Ya need the plastic thing or at least route the cable the 'other' way. Like this ir this. And cable needs to be TIGHT(adjust chain touching cage in bg cog, small ring...then pull on cable, as tight as you can..tighten fixig bolt, then turn inner limit screw out a wee bit..0.0-.5mm clearance, clarence).

You may need to go back and loosen the barrel adjuster a tad depending on how tight you've gotten the cable.

I've gotten things working in the stand, then had customers coming back saying 'its rubbing in the top X gears' with the above method.

...but when you DO get em working... like buttah

M

John H.
06-04-2016, 10:00 AM
I have seen some bikes that seem to work poorly with a 9000 front derailleur.
Particularly older frames with smaller diameter seat tubes and the braze-on with clamp format (31.8).
The one I am speaking of was a Parlee Z3.
It just never seemed right.
I would set up the limit stops perfectly, but when I got enough tension on the der. cable to make it move out all the way on the big ring it would no longer drop all the way to the inner limit.
I ended up fudging the inner limit so I could add a bunch of tension but it still felt like it was less than ideal.

nate2351
06-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Also make sure you have the tail adjustment screw set properly. It's a new bolt for the new gen derailleurs. I can't say how many customers bring bikes into the shop trying to set up 6800/9000 and dont know that screw exists.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Also make sure you have the tail adjustment screw set properly. It's a new bolt for the new gen derailleurs. I can't say how many customers bring bikes into the shop trying to set up 6800/9000 and dont know that screw exists.

??? The screw on brazeon types against the wee plate for stiffening?

commonguy001
06-05-2016, 06:40 AM
??? The screw on brazeon types against the wee plate for stiffening?

Agreed, I think he is talking about the support bolt specific to the braze on version.