PDA

View Full Version : Flat pedals / Fender suggestions

Exonerv
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM
The wife has signed up for a 7 day group ride in the Niagara/Ontario region scheduled for August 5-11. We're in the process of outfitting her Salsa LaCruz for the event. After sustaining a fall last August that cracked her collarbone, she's been reluctant to clip-in again. Bless her heart even with the injury, she insisted on completing the 26 miles of trail riding back to the car...

As I know nothing about flat pedals, I tried the PL search function without success. I'm sure it's been covered before, so a gentle push in the right direction would be appreciated. I'm not wanting to put her on shin shredding aggressive MTB pedals, just a safe & secure, reasonably-priced platform she can readily exit should the need suddenly arise.

Also, I'm thinking of installing fenders. Not wanting to break the bank as she won't be riding in the rain back home. However, should she encounter a rain day or 5 in Canada, fenders might make the day more tolerable.

Where to begin?

p nut
06-03-2016, 04:50 PM
I've had good luck on my MKS Lambda aka Grip King pedals. Bit slippery when wet, but not bad. They're kind of skinny, but may not be an issue with females. I think I bought mine for $40 on Amazon. My wife just uses some plastic BMX pedals on her Surly Trucker. Doesn't poke holes in shins, skids gleefully over rocks and curbs, and very cheap.

Fenders: What about clip on fenders, like Raceblades? I have an XL version somewhere that I probably won't ever use. Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Raceblade-XL-Fender-Set/dp/B008G35CAG

OLB
06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I like MKS Touring pedals. They are wide and grippy enough for most situations. They are well built, can be serviced easily, and reasonably priced.

I like SKS longboards for fenders and some of the Planet Bike options are nice too.

seric
06-03-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm fond of the Velo Orange Grand Cru Sabot Pedals I have on the tandem. The pins are replaceable with sharper versions if needed.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-sabot-pedals.html

bicycletricycle
06-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Mks sylvan touring

SKS fenders

JAGI410
06-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Fyxation Gates or Mesa pedal, ass saver rear fender

Slow Eddie
06-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Ergon pedals; SKS Longboard or Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. Go big or go home, I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatty
06-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Two flats that I like.
Tioga Spyder. Smaller bodied pedal, very light, they comes with blunt and sharp spikes.
Shimano Saint. Really liking these, have a tiny bit of concave to the surface where the foot hits. Super stable feel to em.

Exonerv
06-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Appreciate the guidance offered...

Her LaCruz has fender mounts, so my lean is to go with a more fitted solution over clip-on's. She's running 28mm Gravelkings and has plenty of clearance both front & back. The SKS options look like the way to go. Anything other considerations when purchasing/installing fenders?

Ken C
06-04-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm fond of the Velo Orange Grand Cru Sabot Pedals I have on the tandem. The pins are replaceable with sharper versions if needed.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-sabot-pedals.html

I know some velo orange stuff is pretty hit or miss, but these pedals are really nice. Put them on my wife's mixte because i wanted something in all silver. a little expensive though.

I prefer berthoud ss fenders. I have them on two bikes but did put velo orange on my wifes because she wanted the hammered look. I thought they were not going to hold up as well, but so far so good. SKS is probably the answer for cost and ease of install if you are only going to use for for this one event. I would add a flap on them as the coverage is not as good as metal fenders. shoes will get wet without one.

Ken Robb
06-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Good info on flat pedals on Rivendell site. I have Grip Kings on one bike and MKS Touring on a couple of others and like them both. When I wear shoes with very thin soft soles the Grip Kings' extra area is slightly nicer and they stick out slightly less than the Tourings which might help for rider who pedals through turns. OTOH I think the Touring pedals look better. Riv also sells short spikes that can be easily screwed into the Grip Kings to increase grip in wet/muddy conditions. I find the standard texture without spikes to be fine for all the rubber-soled shoes I have used.

roguedog
06-04-2016, 05:32 PM
bought all the pedals from rivbike

installed the mks sylvan touring on a friend's bike and during a rainy ride, she said it was slippery. Swapped out those for the thin gripster pedals and the next ride that was during rainy conditions, she said they were much much better.

on a personal note, per grant's recommendation, i bought the sneaker pedals and found them comfy. didn't try them in the rain though.

559Rando
06-04-2016, 10:34 PM
The Ergon flats are pretty great, IME

David in Maine
06-05-2016, 08:11 AM
I found Ergon pedals slick in the rain and super ugly. These have worked well and they're cheap. http://www.vp-usa.com/vp-001/
Definitely put mud flaps on plastic fenders.

AllanVarcoe
06-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Plastic Odyssey BMX pedals are less than $20, come in a wealth of colors and have great grip without needing surgery should you slip a shin into them.

http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/pedals/twisted-pc/

559Rando
06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
I found Ergon pedals slick in the rain and super ugly. These have worked well and they're cheap. http://www.vp-usa.com/vp-001/
Definitely put mud flaps on plastic fenders.

The Ergon size large have been great for me, even in the PNW rain. They are ugly (and mine are size L -- even uglier), heavy but pretty much zero maintenance.

VP-001s are cheap? They're good quality, so maybe you mean inexpensive? But they're $80--not what I'd call inexpensive. They're good pedals, IMO, but the risk of shin bites is still there with these.

There are lots of SKS fender variations. I think the ones on my commuter/lockup bike were $25.