PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on your ride?

mecse
06-03-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm surprised I couldn't find another thread about this. Does anyone else carry their (or someone elses?) dog on their ride. Whether commute or a longer ride or whatever. I figure a fun photo album could be nice. I see this commonly in the city, people putting their little dogs in a basket or a backpack. Or sometimes their giant labrador in a trailer.

Here's my addition of a yorkie in a front bag repurposed for doggie on the rainy streets of NYC today.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cU-gXP7WZQbP_Ae_0bvr_kkAB5RW-IxLfzCjZtnAJrvtnlBJHspiofOTyh2VWFq1-j1YeL8VR5eBSv8Il0zIwOc_Vry3vRgXu0FvkntonAT3kQ8i-emwT8QDzlpf0suQwB7slhCfzEIFG7JW8lx3WddMEsOIZEW2vVs ikL6MwiqM6tQ50PeAj3x9EoZmqH-f-ucIBk18nSG40OxI30DarKGrX_Lcyo9eVMLaq-yMMVkrFgu211lxoapOjAJl5aNoiPS9SOcHqk3cKH5CDpuqosh6 6YnBjWV0cPhW3HhMy32uO7ytDekii6l5allTZ1UzJ7z8zXqiev pXtBPeL6qaAjKbwYcxOlCuW1zBtGVpQ0L8OQjNbbjtf7Alrin3 NqlRAJX9iFHChta3FMAIPa75TEj_bhmbOOvE3Cu-kSWGV0tdh3cyRwb3uQ8HUJ86LCYEu_85uln28eyyoqphyUAlK9 fdzJnAQIr-st2A-txFWhfldkjY4Le0JjURelM5sSUVlNROUS4K-AySBxuY2_5yDDpDvfTXiZEdnelj-auP7359Y0-Yp2ftkINsvCCJBaqad10czMjnNtUdgo8nbXTZfpM67nWGVnOD= w550-h734-no

Ken Robb
06-03-2016, 03:42 PM
I have thought about ways to take 13 pound Eric on my rides but he's too big for a handlebar bag. He might fit in my BIG saddlebag (Rivendell Hoss) but I couldn't keep my eye on him back there and he might jump out to chase something--- like another cyclist. :)

mecse
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
I have thought about ways to take 13 pound Eric on my rides but he's too big for a handlebar bag. He might fit in my BIG saddlebag (Rivendell Hoss) but I couldn't keep my eye on him back there and he might jump out to chase something--- like another cyclist. :)
This is a 9 pound guy, and he's sitting in a Swift Industries Ozette XL. He sits very very quietly and just looks around for a 30 minute ride.

I guess it all depends on their personality. This one just sits and loves it (he wants to get in the box!)

OLB
06-03-2016, 04:47 PM
This is my 14 lbs Chihuahua Dachshund mix (chiweenie).
He fits nicely in a milk crate with a modified leash strapped to a harness to keep him in place while still giving him some room to move around a bit.
The crate can be zip tied to rear rack, but he prefers to ride in front on top of a Wald pizza rack. I prefer having him in front because he sometimes gets anxious and I can pet him to calm him down. I have a foam pad at the bottom of the crate for comfort, which allows us to ride for a while. Our longest ride has been about 25 miles.
Neither setup is ideal and I might get a pet specific trailer in the near future.

Tony
06-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Corbin our Airedale goes on rides with the wife and I, coffee, and happy hour at several of our favorite downtown spots. We trained him to stay in a cart at a young age. He now has a bigger cart that he rides in and loves cruising with us.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107709068384636814318/Corbin12Weeks

audiisaac
06-03-2016, 06:26 PM
I ride with my 70 pound lab, but she runs next to me on an elastic leash. We do a 3.5 mile commute to and from my shop almost every day. No way would she stay in a trailer. Tried it a few times but she just wants to run! It's one of the most amazing things to see. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlyon
06-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Now available on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d-namic/pow-pet-on-wheels

rrudoff
06-14-2016, 06:50 PM
We used to carry our 10 lb Chi-Terrier mix in a Jandd grocery bag Mesh pannier with a cover, along with a leash. With a nice pad in the bottom, he seemed to enjoy it greatly when he was younger. He was well contained with the lid. But we got a little nervous in traffic or just somehow stupidly dropping the bike, so we finally quit and left him home.

I have also carried him in a doggie back pack on easy off-road rides, e.g. the kind I can do on my cross bike comfortably, but even then I always took it easy and walked any of the trickier single track.