PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bad movies you've been forced to sit though

Elefantino
06-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Lost a bet to the CFO and the winner got to pick the movie of their choice. She picked "Love and Friendship," from a Jane Austen novella.

Right there, I knew I was in trouble, despite it's 99 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And it was the rottenest of the movies I've seen in a long, long time. In fact, even she hated it. About a quarter way through, when it became apparent that this was a dull farce, we wanted to get up and leave, but there were huge people on either side that prevented easy egress.

Holy crap it was bad. I mean, the costume and makeup people even made Kate Beckinsale look homely.

Guys, have you been forced to sit through insipid chick flicks? Gals, what action film were you forced to endure?

Tickdoc
06-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Lost a bet to the CFO and the winner got to pick the movie of their choice. She picked "Love and Friendship," from a Jane Austen novella.

Right there, I knew I was in trouble, despite it's 99 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And it was the rottenest of the movies I've seen in a long, long time. In fact, even she hated it. About a quarter way through, when it became apparent that this was a dull farce, we wanted to get up and leave, but there were huge people on either side that prevented easy egress.

Holy crap it was bad. I mean, the costume and makeup people even made Kate Beckinsale look homely.

Guys, have you been forced to sit through insipid chick flicks? Gals, what action film were you forced to endure?

Suffering through insidious 3 as we speak:eek:

( my wife likes horror films)

Louis
06-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Let me just say now, as a preemptive strike, that if anyone here says "Into Great Silence" that will automatically mark him or her for life as a shallow individual not worthy of contributing to this thread or maybe even this forum. In reality it's an awesome movie well worth appreciating (but not if you're more of a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" type of moviegoer).

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52851152e4b0070d8ce43c92/55918dd7e4b0ef5332b58160/55919650e4b0b8f716f3a2ad/1438874755588/into_great_silence.jpg?format=1500w

bluto
06-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Napolean Dynamite

Gummee
06-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Rocky Horror *if you're not in a theater with people acting out the movie*

Latest Mad Max movie. I caught it halfway thru and figured I'd missed the good bit and watched the whole thing. Nope. No such luck

M

Gsinill
06-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Independence Day (by far)

vav
06-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Frozen a couple of times with my kiddo :crap:

makoti
06-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Into The Wild.

bicycletricycle
06-02-2016, 09:46 PM
I will basically watch any movie.

But

Saw 5 was bad, haven't seen the other 4 saw movies. Don't really like horror movies.

I watched it on a date with a crazy girl, I think she liked it.

seric
06-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is remembered as one of the worst movies I sat through.

cadence90
06-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Independence Day (by far)

Really bad.

And, yet, even worse (by far) was that other sci-fi Will Smith movie (I can't recall the title thank heavens); the one "co-starring" his obnoxious son.

gdw
06-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Joy Luck Club.

bicycletricycle
06-02-2016, 09:57 PM
That movie was world record bad.

Really bad.

And, yet, even worse (by far) was that other sci-fi Will Smith movie (I can't recall the title thank heavens); the one "co-starring" his obnoxious son.

dustyrider
06-02-2016, 10:05 PM
My mom forces me to watch the little drummer boy with her every Christmas. When I was six, it was cool! Now that I'm in my mid-thirties singing "shall I play for you pa rum pum pum pum" for days after the event is painful, hilarious and lovely all at the same time. It's sort of a film I love to hate cause it's time with my mom in the most annoyingly joyous kind of way.

eddief
06-02-2016, 10:07 PM
but i did not enjoy the revenant.

Tony T
06-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I mean, the costume and makeup people even made Kate Beckinsale look homely.

That is not possible :)

cadence90
06-02-2016, 10:13 PM
That movie was world record bad.

I am not a violent person, by any measure.
The entire time, during that thing, I so wanted to really punch that brat out.

KF9YR
06-03-2016, 01:08 AM
but i did not enjoy the revenant.

Just watched this weekend with my Fiancé. Neither one of us really enjoyed it either.

cachagua
06-03-2016, 01:48 AM
Saw 5 was bad... watched it on a date with a crazy girl, I think she liked it.

Anybody who goes out on a date with a crazy girl is a friend of mine! (Listen -- introduce me, maybe?)

So, worst movie I ever sat though -- "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou". This will be heresy to some, but here's the thing: that movie pretended to be based on the Odyssey. But all "based on" meant, in this case, was that they'd taken a half dozen motifs from the original, put them in the blender, and spewed them out onto a mile of film, in any old sequence and shape. What the people who made that movie failed to realize is that stories consist only superficially of personalities and events -- their profound meaning is in the relations between those elements. So their having someone trying to go home, and a guy with one eye, and some ladies singing, and so forth, was, I'm sorry, a total waste. Utterly meaningless. The story was gone, in their version, and they offered nothing at all to take its place. And the saddest thing, to me, was that the success of the movie depended on a cynical assumption that so few people would know the story of the Odyssey, that practically no one would mind that they'd raped it. Mind? No one would notice!

"Naked Lunch" -- another example.

cadence90
06-03-2016, 01:49 AM
That is not possible :)
I agree; that seems impossible.
So, to quash those images, Ele, you could watch Kate + costume + make-up in the "Underworld" flicks.
Just a friendly suggestion....;)

Joy Luck Club.
Ewwww.

My mom forces me to watch the little drummer boy with her every Christmas. When I was six, it was cool! Now that I'm in my mid-thirties singing "shall I play for you pa rum pum pum pum" for days after the event is painful, hilarious and lovely all at the same time. It's sort of a film I love to hate cause it's time with my mom in the most annoyingly joyous kind of way.
:D Awesome post, made me laugh.

cadence90
06-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Anybody who goes out on a date with a crazy girl is a friend of mine! (Listen -- introduce me, maybe?)

So, worst movie I ever sat though -- "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou". This will be heresy to some, but here's the thing: that movie pretended to be based on the Odyssey. But all "based on" meant, in this case, was that they'd taken a half dozen motifs from the original, put them in the blender, and spewed them out onto a mile of film, in any old sequence and shape. What the people who made that movie failed to realize is that stories consist only superficially of personalities and events -- their profound meaning is in the relations between those elements. So their having someone trying to go home, and a guy with one eye, and some ladies singing, and so forth, was, I'm sorry, a total waste. Utterly meaningless. The story was gone, in their version, and they offered nothing at all to take its place. And the saddest thing, to me, was that the success of the movie depended on a cynical assumption that so few people would know the story of the Odyssey, that practically no one would mind that they'd raped it. Mind? No one would notice!

"Naked Lunch" -- another example.

+1.
+2. (Excellent analysis of OBWAT.)
And +3.

Bruce K
06-03-2016, 04:59 AM
I thought I was alone in thinking The Revenant was formulaic and boring.

:beer:

BK

cadence90
06-03-2016, 05:20 AM

BK
I haven't seen it yet, but the combination of Iñárritu (more formulaic every film he makes, it seems) and LDC (one of the most formulaic actors ever, period), along with the sentiments expressed here, makes me feel that I will agree.

I will probably be more satisfied watching "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" for the umpteenth time.

Llewellyn
06-03-2016, 05:37 AM
Sea Biscuit. I had a toothache when I was watching it and just as my toothache got worse and worse as time went on...............so did that movie. Complete and utter Sh**e

peanutgallery
06-03-2016, 06:11 AM
When I was a kid and we got our first video player (a betamax) the old man opened up an account at the video store and came home with heavens gate. It was terrible

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(film)

parris
06-03-2016, 06:22 AM
3 Kings. My wife and I saw it when it came out hearing it was a good flick. Literally 15 minutes in we were looking at each other saying "it's got to get better right"? We both agreed that we stayed only because we kept thinking that it had to get better. NOPE

AJM100
06-03-2016, 06:26 AM
Forces of Nature - cir. 1999

Gawdaweful - almost slit my wrists . . .

cadence90
06-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Jumanji.

slidey
06-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Revenant

Llewellyn
06-03-2016, 06:44 AM
The Tourist. After about 15 minutes we knew it was going to be dire. My wife wasn't feeling well and I offered for us to leave but she said "no, we'll stay". What she didn't realise is that I was desperate for her to say "let's go".

goonster
06-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Anything by Michael Bay.

that movie pretended to be based on the Odyssey. [...] What the people who made that movie failed to realize is that stories consist only superficially of personalities and events -- their profound meaning is in the relations between those elements.

The Coens often play tricks with their title cards (Fargo was not based on a true story), and they are obviously riffing on Homer in the loosest possible way, so it would be a shame if that ruined the whole thing for you. The film's title itself is a fairly elaborate in-joke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan%27s_Travels), .

The primary storyline takes a backseat to individual vignettes, and the "profound meaning" can be found beneath a veneer of absurdity.

I always enjoy the Coens' movies more on second and third, etc., viewings.

oldpotatoe
06-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Maggie...arnold movie...slow.......

JasonF
06-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Third place: Fried Green Tomatoes
Second place: Steel Magnolias
First place, in a runaway: Beaches

Let's just say I was much younger and sat through these to please my then girlfriend (and now wife). I guess it worked, but jeez these are painful to watch for any guy with a normal level of testosterone.

Joxster
06-03-2016, 07:42 AM
The wife wanted to watch the BFG (80's version) the other night and it was utter tosh :crap: the remake had better be a vast improvement, no doubt I'll dragged along to that

OtayBW
06-03-2016, 07:48 AM
An inverse situation: When I was in college, I met a cute girl one day and took her to see Apocolypse Now. FAIL! After ~20 minutes, she began to slide down in her seat (not in a good way.....), eventually covering her eyes with her hand. We didn't stay for long.....:help:

paredown
06-03-2016, 07:53 AM
An inverse situation: When I was in college, I met a cute girl one day and took her to see Apocolypse Now. FAIL! After ~20 minutes, she began to slide down in her seat (not in a good way.....), eventually covering her eyes with her hand. We didn't stay for long.....:help:
I kinda went the other way and it also didn't work--I took my cute girl to see Bergman's 'Scenes from a Marriage'--it was hard going but I thought it was great. Ebert gives it 5 stars and has this line in his review "And so begins one of the truest, most luminous love stories ever made..."

She came out of the theatre and said it was the worst film she had ever seen.

ultraman6970
06-03-2016, 07:55 AM
The worse of the worse for me???

The Bodyguard with costner... that movie was so painful to watch that actually made me tougher to watch bad movies.

josephr
06-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Oh Brother Where Art Thou, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen......

alancw3
06-03-2016, 08:35 AM
PULP FICTION. could not believe i had to sit through this atrocity!! can't believe any actor of credence would even be associated with this movie. so terrible!

45K10
06-03-2016, 08:56 AM
The worse of the worse for me???

The Bodyguard with costner... that movie was so painful to watch that actually made me tougher to watch bad movies.

+1 on this one. I had to watch it dubbed in German while on a bus and hungover

rugbysecondrow
06-03-2016, 09:01 AM
The most recent one I remember was the new Annie...it was terrible. So terrible that I actually wrote a bad review on Rotten Tomatoes, which I never do. I took my daughter to see it in the theater and I actually decided it was better value to sleep (as a paid nap) then watch the movie.

The music, the casting, the acting, the story tweaks...the who thing was just a big turd.

simonov
06-03-2016, 09:06 AM

BK

I tried watching it a few times because I figured it had to be good given all the hype. I never managed to stay awake and finally just gave up. Two thumbs down.

MattTuck
06-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Crystal Skull has to be one of the worst for me. But I paid the money to see it in a theatre, and I rarely go see moves in theatres, so I sat through it.

CampyorBust
06-03-2016, 10:19 AM
While a fair argument for OBWAT has been made I would argue the exact opposite. No time to really get into it now but a few thoughts…One of the best soundtracks ever, John Goodman playing yet another moral degenerate and John Turturro is in it (this automatically takes it out of the running IMO) dunno it’s done good by me. So many good lines but three quotes that make me chuckle every time…

“Them Sireeens did this to Pete, they loved him up and turned him into a horny toad”
“Sorry, Pete, I know we're kin, but they got this depression on. I got to do for me and mine”
“Is you is or is you aint my constituency?”

Oh yeah so worst movie ever ever ever – Mario Brothers (1993)! Bob Hoskins I forgive you. The Ace Venturas and that Eddie Murphy vampire flick, no not Blade :D. Crystal skulls – is that technically a movie or a snuff film?

1happygirl
06-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Might I add the X chromosome component?

I will second most all of the suggestions already mentioned such as Napoleon Dynamite, Joy Luck Club etc.

Pineapple Express? Ugghhh. not funny. At all.

I was gonna say Platoon but on second thought, not a bad movie. In fact probably a great movie but too graphic for me. A guy friend brought over to school me on war, which I'm sure it's realistic. I think it must be a chick thing. Apocalypse Now. Yes realistic, but not a bad film.

Kill Bill - I see what it was doin there but I'll call that one bad.

just saw the Bodyguard listed. I'll second or fourth that. Really bad but the soundtrack rocked.
Two for the Road (Audrey Hepburn) I wasn't even born yet but saw on tv. Can see where would be a horrible date movie from my X chromo standpoint but great movie. Disaster marriages movies like SFAM (scenes from a marriage), War of the Roses (a bad movie standing alone, much less date movie) , not great boy-girl night out picks.
Sorry but most anything Woody Allen. I don't get his movie clout.

cinco
06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
My son wanted me to take him to see the Zoolander 2 movie for his birthday. What a joy to have him still want to be in the same zip code as me (he turned 15), but holy cow! such a painfully unfunny movie! And we both liked the 1st one.

Andy in Houston

sandyrs
06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Birdman.

https://thedissolve.com/reviews/1152-birdman/

okie1kenobi
06-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Blair Witch Project, that was the last time I have ever set foot in a movie theater.

What an overhyped turd of a movie.

okie1kenobi
06-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Birdman.

https://thedissolve.com/reviews/1152-birdman/

+1 Hated it

ultraman6970
06-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Oh the minions movie, watched 10 minutes and went ZZZZzzz then woke up at the last 10 minutes.

Hollywood is all for the money and not the quality, too much cgi IMO took away our ability to get impressed with the FXs. Another example of this is the fantastic 4 movie, good watched in cable because that thing was just competing with the worse of the worse.

If a movie is low budget production usually i watch them even if they are cheesy, like the sharknado ones that after all are more like a comedy than a thriller sci-fi movie. But when a super budget turns bad heck.. pfff I dont even pay a dollar to watch them, example? the last fantastic 4.

bobdenver1961
06-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Angry Birds movie that recently came out. Both my wife and me fell asleep. Kids loved it though!

johnmdesigner
06-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Ironman at 4am in emergency waiting room at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital with 4 junkies going through withdrawls.

gone
06-03-2016, 01:11 PM
The Peter Jackson monstrosity: The Hobbit. Only saw the first one, there isn't enough money in the world to make me watch the other two.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull also had me wanting to slash my wrists or, better yet: Spielbergs.

Greg

seric
06-03-2016, 02:00 PM
A little off topic, since I didn't watch the entire movie. Long ago I remember going on a Drive-In date to see Batman & Robin with George Clooney and Arnie. We looked at each other in horror during the opening ice skating scene and promptly decided to leave and rent a move instead. It was simply awful.

tv_vt
06-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Enduring Love (2004), unsurprisingly not a popular movie, was one of the creepiest and awful movies I've seen. Made me wish I could just scrub it out of my brain afterwards. Wife felt the same way. Was shown as one of six films as part of a local college film festival. God that was sick. One character in particular will give you the heebie-jeebies.

rugbysecondrow
06-03-2016, 02:07 PM
My son wanted me to take him to see the Zoolander 2 movie for his birthday. What a joy to have him still want to be in the same zip code as me (he turned 15), but holy cow! such a painfully unfunny movie! And we both liked the 1st one.

Andy in Houston

This reminded me of another classically bad movie, Anchorman 2...another big turd of a movie. Stopped it about 20 min in, couldn't stomach it.

bikingshearer
06-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Frozen a couple of times with my kiddo :crap:

What we sit through to humor our kids is a whole 'nother level of torture. But I have one in that category that makes "Frozen" look like "Citizen Kane." Submitted for your consideration - "The Pokemon Movie." Absolutely mind-numbingly horrible. Not even of the "it's so bad it's kind of fun" variety - just plain no-redeeming-feature-at-all awful. I only wished I could have gone to sleep - no such luck. :help:

Even worse, it had an old-fashioned "short" before it, another "Pokemon" themed animated thing. Imagine witnessing an explosion at a paint factory while on a bad acid trip and the scene lit by a strobe light while listening to a "Tesla" album playing at 78 at about 110 dB's. It was worse than that, but you get the idea.

Fortunately, my son is now 25 and such agonies are a thing of the past - at least until I have grandkids . . . .

ultraman6970
06-03-2016, 04:16 PM
When you go watching movies with your kids you have to set your mind in... "kids like to see the characters" and leave everything else behind because as usually happens the script is as bad as it can be.

At least the Dragon Ball movies in general arent that long.

cinema
06-03-2016, 04:47 PM
The Heat is the worst in recent memory.

oldpotatoe
06-03-2016, 04:58 PM
While a fair argument for OBWAT has been made I would argue the exact opposite. No time to really get into it now but a few thoughts…One of the best soundtracks ever, John Goodman playing yet another moral degenerate and John Turturro is in it (this automatically takes it out of the running IMO) dunno it’s done good by me. So many good lines but three quotes that make me chuckle every time…

“Them Sireeens did this to Pete, they loved him up and turned him into a horny toad”
“Sorry, Pete, I know we're kin, but they got this depression on. I got to do for me and mine”
“Is you is or is you aint my constituency?”

Oh yeah so worst movie ever ever ever – Mario Brothers (1993)! Bob Hoskins I forgive you. The Ace Venturas and that Eddie Murphy vampire flick, no not Blade :D. Crystal skulls – is that technically a movie or a snuff film?

Me too, loved that movie and sing 'down to the river' almost everytime I put my 5 year old to bed..nothing spiritual, just pretty.

echelon_john
06-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Hail, Caesar! on Tuesday night. Surprisingly bad. I expected it to be at least a little fun & entertaining, given that Clooney can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants and even the "Oceans" series were at least a romp. This thing just didn't go anywhere. I generally like the Coen brothers, too.

The Thomas Crowne Affair remake was PAINFUL. The original with Steve McQueen is one of my favorite movies, and worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The Pierce & Renée show? Not so much. Ugh.

For extra credit: Hansel & Gretel, Witch Hunters. Oh my god was this a turd. Not even watchable in a 'fascinating train-wreck' kind of way.

Oh, and I hated Kingsmen. Aside from a couple of decent action sequences, just didn't see anything there. How the hell Colin Firth got drafted into that is beyond me.

firerescuefin
06-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Waterworld

Crying Game

Tickdoc
06-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Marley and me. I even took my kids to that one.

pjm
06-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Chicago and Dirty Dancing. Absolute torture.

biker72
06-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Kansas City Bomber starring Raquel Welch. This was just plain awful.

peanutgallery
06-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Charlie don't surf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=&ved=0ahUKEwjwu-WVlo3NAhWIkh4KHTJjCA0QiE4IHTAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Seramount
06-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Tootsie. my baseline 'horrid' movie...

or maybe Howard the Duck...walked out of both.

people ragging on Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse Now, OBWAT...hmmm, yeah sure, whatevs.

and who goes to sequels or remakes...? why?

Louis
06-03-2016, 08:52 PM
people ragging on Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse

These are clearly "guy" movies, but I can see how some with more tender sensibilities might not go for them.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/65/ca/4f/65ca4f31282a2f3ce24e58e90fb76c91.jpg

parco
06-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Everyone has a right to their opinion. But how can a discussion of truly bad movies not mention "The Last Days of Disco".
"And while you're at it why doncha give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it"

summilux
06-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Mamma Mia. Listening to Pierce Brosnan sing is my most horrible cinematic memory.

rpm
06-04-2016, 09:41 AM
What Lies Beneath.

Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer trapped by horrid dialogue and plot. Halfway through the movie, somebody started hooting out loud, and then everbybody jumped in. It was like Mystery Science Theater, where everybody started making fun of it. The movie was wretched but it turned into a good evening.

1happygirl
06-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Tootsie. my baseline 'horrid' movie...
or
SNIP

Aww Seramount we can't sit together on a Sat night then.

I love, love that movie (It's the X chromosome in me talking)

saab2000
06-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Thankfully, I don't have these experiences because I rarely go to a cinema except for a movie I am likely to enjoy and I already know what's coming.

One exception would be The Hobbit films. I know the story and love all things Tolkien and am a huge fan of the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit prequel was not great, except for the scenes that are more or less out of the Silmarillion and lay the groundwork for how the whole thing started and most people who aren't familiar with this story wouldn't have understood those parts of the film. I paid to watch The Hobbit films and was mostly disappointed. That said, I'd be surprised if I don't end up with them in my DVD collection.....

I wouldn't say it was torturous to sit through, but I was thoroughly disappointed in the latest Star Wars movie. There was little new thinking and it just seemed like a walk down memory lane for fans of the Franchise. I would rate it about a 3.5/10.

Most of my movie watching is done on airplanes where I can switch between them and some of my favorite movies have come from this method. I discovered "The Grand Budapest Hotel" on a tiny screen on a United flight to Zurich a few years ago. It's a fantastic film and one people don't seem to know much about.

dgauthier
06-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Chick flick that even my wife hated: Angels and Insects.

Guy flick that should have been good but felt like being beaten with a stupid stick: Chappie.

Last movie we walked out on: The Ring. Yes, the Peter Jackson one.

bluesea
06-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Everyone has a right to their opinion. But how can a discussion of truly bad movies not mention "The Last Days of Disco".
"And while you're at it why doncha give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it"

I liked The Last Days Of Disco. But then again I forced someone else to watch Flash Gordon (Max Von Sydow) last night. Didn't Flash come out at about the same period portrayed in TLDoD?

CampyorBust
06-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Me too, loved that movie and sing 'down to the river' almost everytime I put my 5 year old to bed..nothing spiritual, just pretty.

Yup, I wish I had angelic southern belle sing me to sleep every night with that song. Sorry Oldpotatoe though I am sure your singing is just fine.:)

Don't know how people can't appreciate this, pure genius, to each his own I guess. Maybe I'm a simpleton, care for some gopher? Come on in boys the water is fine...

https://youtu.be/2qw6Hon013E

choke
06-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Inglourious Basterds

Louis
06-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Chick flick that even my wife hated: Angels and Insects.

Saw that ages ago on video with my GF. I'd give it 2/5 stars. She really liked it...

cadence90
06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
The Da Vinci Code.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Mfw+tom+hanks+_2bbd90ef7e790002f9e9b1e2f975aea7.jp g

slidey
06-04-2016, 03:38 PM
I discovered "The Grand Budapest Hotel" on a tiny screen on a United flight to Zurich a few years ago. It's a fantastic film and one people don't seem to know much about.

I really liked this one too. Did you get a chance to watch "Moonrise Kingdom"? I really liked that one as well.

Louis
06-04-2016, 03:44 PM
The Da Vinci Code.

Having read the book (talk about dross!) you couldn't drag me to see that, even if it were the last movie showing on the face of the earth.

cadence90
06-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Having read the book (talk about dross!) you couldn't drag me to see that, even if it were the last movie showing on the face of the earth.

Good for you, Louis!
I read the book too, before the movie came out. :eek:
I rarely pay for movies these days, and either rent from the library or watch on Netflix. Nonetheless, even for free, the Da Vinci Code is 100% awful...even worse than the book.

1) Dan Brown is a truly terrible writer, the equivalent of some kind of numb-skull who got rich on a stupid idea and now smugly thinks he's the smartest guy around. His writing is the worst kind of facile, undisciplined, lowest-common-denominator tripe out there, and yet he acts like a literary genius.

2) Dan Brown was an EP on "TDVC". Enough said. Avoid at all costs.

saab2000
06-04-2016, 06:38 PM
I really liked this one too. Did you get a chance to watch "Moonrise Kingdom"? I really liked that one as well.

I haven't. But if it's as good as Budapest Hotel, it gets better with every viewing as there are details and nuances that aren't obvious on the first viewing.

sparky33
06-04-2016, 07:33 PM
First place, in a runaway: Beaches

Let's just say I was much younger and sat through these to please my then girlfriend.

Same here.
I don't know of another reason to watch that movie.

molly47
06-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Dirty Grandpa awful ....turned it off disgraceful..

dnades
06-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Millennium with Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd. Manhattan theater goers made up for the awfulness of the movie. Really funny evening. Terrible, terrible movie.

echelon_john
06-05-2016, 05:11 PM
In the Wes Anderson canon, I think Grand Budapest Hotel isn't close to the top, so if you liked it, definitely watch Moonrise Kingdom, The Darjeeling Limited, The Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Royal Tenenbaums. Personally, I loved The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but that one seems to be pretty polarizing.

Not that GBP is a bad film--it's not at all--but if you like it, you'll probably REALLY like the others named.

I haven't. But if it's as good as Budapest Hotel, it gets better with every viewing as there are details and nuances that aren't obvious on the first viewing.