PDA

View Full Version : Campy Zondas Opinions

AJM100
06-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Can any weigh in on whether these are suitable for clydesdales (190-195lbs) . . . are they durable and is the G3 lacing sufficient . . . Thanks.

distanc3
06-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Very durable factory wheels and probably the best value in terms of stiffness, weight and smoothness.

I'm running a set and I'm 185lbs. No issues at all.

thirdgenbird
06-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I've got a pair of the older steel spoked eurus wheels that are similar to the current zonda. I'm about 190 right now and they feel stiff and responsive. They have never been trued but they have been down the single track.

Ralph
06-02-2016, 05:14 PM
With UK pricing....I think they are the best wheel value there is. I ride a pair....but I weigh 155. Haven't even trued them in over 5000 miles. Mine are the NON tubeless model....and I like how easy it is to change a tire on side of road, and the no rim strip feature.

I imagine at 190-195......you are pushing it a tad....but believe it will depend on how you ride. My wheel builder friend says she can use off the shelf spokes for repair....if necessary....while she orders Campy spokes. I think that is a plus over the big thick aluminum spokes of higher models.

EDIT addition.....The rear rim is wider and deeper (and heavier and stronger) than the front rim. G 3 pattern not an issue. I sometimes think all the spokes do is connect the rims to the hubs on these wheels.

bigbill
06-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Bigbill here, been trying to destroy a set of Zonda wheels since 2009. I've been as heavy as 255# and currently 230#. I've adjusted the rear hub (bearings) twice, never had to true them. I repacked the bearings two years ago and that was a waste of time because the grease was pure factory white. I will admit I'm a diesel and pay attention to the road so they've taken very few big hits but I also produce a ton of torque. I figured two years max out of a set of $350 wheels but nope, they still get ridden weekly. I thought about buying a second set but I've got no reason to do that.

DarkStar
06-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Very durable factory wheels and probably the best value in terms of stiffness, weight and smoothness.

I'm running a set and I'm 185lbs. No issues at all.
220lbs and no problems after two seasons of use.

jtakeda
06-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Pretty great wheels.

Overkill for me because I weigh 150 soaking wet. Durable but heavy.

FlashUNC
06-02-2016, 06:50 PM
If they're half as good as the Shamals, then they're pretty baller wheels.

Ralph
06-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Pretty great wheels.

Overkill for me because I weigh 150 soaking wet. Durable but heavy.

1550 G not so heavy for clinchers not requiring rim strips. For the price.

Cicli
06-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Good wheels. I have a set of the Zondas and Eurus. Other than weight difference. Hard to tell.

carpediemracing
06-02-2016, 08:29 PM
I had the first gen Eurus so similar, steel spoked kind of thing. Got them in March/April 2004 I think. Raced the full 2004 season, I think started using Reynolds carbons in April 2005 for races, and only got training wheels much later, maybe 2007 or so. Means the Eurus were my training wheels from spring 2004 to sometime 2007.

I was super heavy at that point, 190-210 lbs much of the time. I trained and raced on the wheels for at least a year since it was the only set of 10s wheels I had. When I race my philosophy is to not swerve for road hazards so I rode through everything. I do bunny hop and such but in the field that's sometimes not an option. In training also I generally don't move much so if I'm not paying attention I end up bunny hopping stuff rather than swerve.

Along those lines I hit a massive sharp edged pothole at about 45 mph while drafting a truck. I miscalculated where the pothole was (I knew it was there from prior rides) and hit it direct instead of missing it by a foot or two. I double flatted the tires, cut them actually, and rode the double flat back to the car/office. I would have sworn that the wheels would be bad but I replace the tires/tubes and they were fine, no flat spot, no truing, no nothing. I was absolutely floored. My teammate/friend (he introduced me to my now-wife) has them now - I wouldn't have let him take the wheels if I didn't think they were still okay.

I can't speak for this generation of wheels but if my Eurus were any indication the Zondas should be fine.

A note - I was amazed at how much tension there was in the Eurus and also the fact that the spokes never broke. The tension was such that the wheels almost made carbon wheel noises, there was a whoosh whoosh kind of thing going on.

jghall
06-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Another 200+ lbs pounder at times and no issues. As others have mentioned, one of the better factory built wheels.

Joxster
06-03-2016, 04:10 AM
Best wheels out there, they don't flex when I jump out of corners and I can put a bit of power through them ;)

Davist
06-03-2016, 07:29 AM
to echo earlier 1550g is heavy?! wow.

I was wondering if anyone thinks the 2 way versions are worth it? A guy in my club bought them and is struggling to put regular clinchers on. Is it worth the ~$100 street price difference? I'm guessing no...

Found this on wheels when I was looking, recommended by this guy (I hadn't heard of him) they're recommended for "heavier" (>185lb) riders:

https://intheknowcycling.com/2014/11/08/best_road_wheel_upgrades_under_1000_750_500/

I ended up with C24s b/c I got a used pair for $300, so I'm happy, they work well and have been bulletproof, but considering buying some zondas for bike 2

Joxster
06-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Have a look at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fulcrum-Racing-Zero-Wheelset-700c-With-Upgraded-Ceramic-Bearings-Tires-Bags-/301952661524?hash=item464dc7f814:g:BPoAAOSwt7pXMQd K

ps nothing to do with me, and they're stateside as well