PDA

View Full Version : Velocity A23 Question

NickR
06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Someone is selling a wheelset buildup with A23, with 6800 hubs. I’ve had Velocity Aerohead & Stans ZTR 340 wheelsets and felt too much flex for my taste. Been happy with the Velocity Fusions, all wheelset build up by same shop, spoke count and spoke pattern. My question for you folks is the A23 more like the Areohead or Fusion? Looking at the rim profiles the A23 & Aerohead have almost the same height. The A23 is wider, does wider translate to stiffer rim?

oldpotatoe
06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Someone is selling a wheelset buildup with A23, with 6800 hubs. I’ve had Velocity Aerohead & Stans ZTR 340 wheelsets and felt too much flex for my taste. Been happy with the Velocity Fusions, all wheelset build up by same shop, spoke count and spoke pattern. My question for you folks is the A23 more like the Areohead or Fusion? Looking at the rim profiles the A23 & Aerohead have almost the same height. The A23 is wider, does wider translate to stiffer rim?

Fusion, plus 25 grams per rim as well over Aerohead. Just finished a set of A23(rear OC) to Miche hubs..nice rims and hubs.

seric
06-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Be aware that there are two versions of the A23, the newer version is tubeless compatible but Veloplugs do not fit well. I don't have any experience with the fusion or Aerohead in 700c, however my newer version A23's seem similar to my Dyads. I would expect the wider rims to be stiffer, this is going by Ibis's viewpoint on MTB rims.

Hermes_Alex
06-02-2016, 02:42 PM
You can expect that by virtue of its width, with material pushed further from the center, the A23s will be stiffer than either option from side to side (which is generally what is being perceived when people speak of a wheel as being stiff or not).

NickR
06-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Fusion, plus 25 grams per rim as well over Aerohead. Just finished a set of A23(rear OC) to Miche hubs..nice rims and hubs.

Be aware that there are two versions of the A23, the newer version is tubeless compatible but Veloplugs do not fit well. I don't have any experience with the fusion or Aerohead in 700c, however my newer version A23's seem similar to my Dyads. I would expect the wider rims to be stiffer, this is going by Ibis's viewpoint on MTB rims.

You can expect that by virtue of its width, with material pushed further from the center, the A23s will be stiffer than either option from side to side (which is generally what is being perceived when people speak of a wheel as being stiff or not).

Thanks guys for the info.

54ny77
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
I have A23's and like them. Well I like one, the other has a light pulse under braking. Other that that it still rides terrific. Need to get that one rim replaced one of these days....

NickR
06-02-2016, 04:58 PM
the other has a light pulse under braking.

I experience this on the aerohead, drove me crazy...