PDA

View Full Version : OT: Coffee by region,likes and dislikes???

skiezo
06-02-2016, 07:52 AM
I buy most of my coffee from a few local roasters. I tend to like the lighter roasts.
What regions is your favorites from??
I tend to go with the Africans most of the time with the Central Americans second and the Indonesian in a close third.
Got some from this place yesterday and there Congo is out of this world as a pour over.
http://www.hatchetcoffee.com/

For some reason the South Americans do nothing for me.
It is all in how it is roasted I guess. The extraction method has alot to do with it as well.

AngryScientist
06-02-2016, 08:04 AM
i'm currently loving a mocha java blend i got locally, which is a combo of arabian and indonesian beans. mocha-java is a pretty classic blend of flavors, but everyone does it differently, and the roast i'm drinking right now is killing it.

joosttx
06-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Dunkin donuts for the east coast

I am a Central American fan. African coffee beans are a little too acidic for me . South American coffees are a little more sweet and mellow. Blue Bottle Coffee in SF makes a blend called Bella Donavon which is my favorite

grawk
06-02-2016, 08:15 AM
I love the coffees from Bali and India.

bcroslin
06-02-2016, 08:17 AM
A friend of mine is roasting some of the best quality and most interesting beans I've tasted in a very long time. He roasts in small batches and the price is spendy but if you want to try something that is bright and has legit red berry and mango flavors with a hint of florals check it out

King State Aricha Natural Yirgacheffe Ethiopia (http://kingstatecoffee.com/merch-1/k3nel9nnfmnne6hekq2ara1kou5rbs)

skiezo
06-02-2016, 08:18 AM
i'm currently loving a mocha java blend i got locally, which is a combo of arabian and indonesian beans. mocha-java is a pretty classic blend of flavors, but everyone does it differently, and the roast i'm drinking right now is killing it.

What is the name of the roaster that you are getting this from? I would love to order some up.
I sometimes order from coffee bean direct in NJ and there roasts are not bad at all.

Mzilliox
06-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Im a roaster and a snob

Medium to light roasting profiles suit me, i like to taste beans, not caramels.

African coffee is by far the best.
Ethiopia is my gold standard
I will always try a Rwanda or Kenya.
I have had good luck with Hondurans, but otherwise South American coffee is not fruity or acidic enough for me, it however does provide a good espresso base.
I can take or leave islander coffee

Right now I'm loving a roastery in Bend, Oregon called Thump.
wrecking ball in SF had a small selection of very goood coffees when i was last there.

today im drinking an ethiopia natural processed coffee from Thump that has a sort of overripe strawberries vibe, and a perfect mouth feel, just stays on the tongue long enough.:beer:

ptourkin
06-02-2016, 08:24 AM
My current profile is very much Central and South American. I like sugars and chocolates with light fruit at the end. Yirgacheffe and the heavy fruit type Africans don't do it for me right now.

keevon
06-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Home roaster here. I'm in the middle of an African kick now, primarily Ethiopians. Recently roasted a dry process Yirgacheffe that blew me away with its strawberry aroma. I also really enjoy Burundi's.

awdwon
06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm on the mostly Central American tip as my first preference but I dabble in pretty much everything. I usually order from Counter Culture and try to change up my order every time. Their variety of single origin stuff is pretty awesome and allows me to try a ton of different coffee.

ColonelJLloyd
06-02-2016, 09:11 AM

I have had good luck with Hondurans, but otherwise South American coffee is not fruity or acidic enough for me, it however does provide a good espresso base.

Same here. Bourbon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey)and Bourbon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_coffee)for me. I almost always buy Ethiopian beans.

Joxster
06-02-2016, 09:43 AM
I like my coffee like my women, dark, bitter and ground up in the freezer.

dsillito
06-02-2016, 10:35 AM
I like my coffee like my women, dark, bitter and ground up in the freezer.

So do I, but I'd have said: hot, sweet, velvety-smooth, and resting on my lap on a lazy Sunday morning :)

I usually get Mexican, mostly because it is the closest to my location. I'm not a fan of shipping things all over the world, but I've been unable to kick the habit, so that is my lame compromise.

SoCalSteve
06-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Ethiopian, by far...

Felt a bit rich last week and bought some Kona, pretty disappointed with it. Especially for how spendy it is.

You want spendy but excellent, try Klatch Roasting some time. Their espresso is excellent as are their drips.

Enjoy!

Lanternrouge
06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Ethiopian, by far...

Felt a bit rich last week and bought some Kona, pretty disappointed with it. Especially for how spendy it is.

Enjoy!

For Hawaiian coffee, try coffee from Molokai.

ftf
06-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Of all the coffee I've tried, Jamaican blue mountain is the best.

OtayBW
06-02-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm simple: I tend to like the less acidic, full-bodied 'deserty' coffees from Indonesia/Sumatra. Dark roast please.

warren128
06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
I keep trying others but I always come back to Kenya. :)

scho74
06-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Also love the Yirgacheffe but was in the mood for something a bit lighter. Tried some Sulawesi and wow, that stuff is delicious. Not as acidic and rich in flavor. Try it out.

maxdog
06-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Ethiopian followed by Ethiopian and as a last resort Ethiopian.

beeatnik
06-02-2016, 12:10 PM
You like the Guatemalan?

Im a roaster and a snob

wrecking ball in SF had a small selection of very goood coffees when i was last there.

today im drinking an ethiopia natural processed coffee from Thump that has a sort of overripe strawberries vibe, and a perfect mouth feel, just stays on the tongue long enough.:beer:

seric
06-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Washed Ethiopian is my go to, but I switch around a bit. Rarely leaving the light to medium light territory.

skiezo
06-02-2016, 12:43 PM
I had some malawi peaberry fair trade organic a few weeks ago that was roasted a med. lite.
Med acity,bright,slight citrus and berry'ish and a bit earthy.
French pressed for 3 1/2 mins and ground slightly course.
Very good flavor and not to heavy of a body.

flydhest
06-02-2016, 01:26 PM
I am a big fan of Indian coffee. Rich, complex, and off the beaten track. Great as pour over but also a serious SO espresso.

I have been a fairly serious roaster for almost 15 years or so.

adamhell
06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
washed ethiopia or kenya is the perfect amount of sweetness. kenya is probably my favorite as the fruit flavors are more complex than the basic blueberriness of an average ethiopia. a typical tasting note of a kenyan coffee is "currant". i used to be amazed by the fruitiness of a natural ethiopia, but now i find the natural processed fruit bombs to be a turn off. the typical fermenty natural process flavor reminds me of sweet hot diarrhea to be honest. i've found hondurans and panamas are the fruitier coffees from the americas, where guatemalans and colombians embody the classic chocolatey nutty full body coffee flavors of a diner coffee.

washed ethiopia geisha is the best. it's the most scrumptious, dynamic flavor i've ever tasted. harbinger coffee in fort collins is my favorite coffee shop i've been to. the owner, jonathan jarrow, has a 1st place north central brewer's cup trophy. he got allegro coffee (whole foods) to do a custom roasted ethiopia geisha that he gave me and it was the best ever. if you ever cruise through fort collins, CO, go there.

veggieburger
06-02-2016, 02:42 PM
I am a fan of the dark, heavy coffees. Best cup of coffee in recently memory was a Honduran bean from the Olancho region. Exceptional.

We should really have a coffee exchange here on the forum! :rolleyes:

Bruce K
06-02-2016, 02:50 PM
I used to like Kona. Sort of over it.

DD if I'm on the fly - can't stand Starbucks.

Atomic Cafe is a great local roaster and very much cycling friendly

BK

benb
06-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Kona is my favorite.. I'm not a dark roast guy at all. I tend to be real careful about coffee now and can't drink it daily without it making me sick to my stomach. :crap:

That said the only real good Kona coffee I've had was stuff I bought right at the farm (co-op actually) when I was visiting the area. 99% of the Kona coffee I've had is garbage to the point I don't always even believe it's real. Lots of it that you buy on the mainland is labeled in small print "10% Kona" if you start digging into it, and IMO Kona is pretty much ruined if it's dark roasted. I tried some Starbucks that they were advertising as 100% Kona that they made on the Clover and it was garbage, I'd have never been able to tell it was Kona. Whereas some of the other stuff they do on the Clover I can kind of tell it's something unique even when they burn the coffee.

Raffy
06-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Ethiopian followed by Kenyan for me. Then South American varietals.

LJohnny
06-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Back in 2007 I got my hands to 20lbs of green Central American Geisha. Marvelous.
It has skyrocketed in price and I would not even envision to try even 5lbs now.

I prefer very light to medium roasts, sweet, aromatic and not bitter under even an overloaded coffee maker. So Central American Arabica and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe fit the bill for me. The latter, the smaller and rounder the beans the more it suits me :)

oh, my dislikes are anything close to a dark roast ala *-bucks... such a waste

geordanh
06-02-2016, 03:58 PM
+1!

South american cofee is boring which is probably why most North Americans like it so much.

Im a roaster and a snob

flydhest
06-02-2016, 05:32 PM
+1!

South american cofee is boring which is probably why most North Americans like it so much.

Totally disagree with that generalization. Single fazenda, small lot Brazillians can be amazing. SO espresso, when you control the roast has so many possibilities with Brazillians. Besides Indian, I think they lend themselves best to SO espresso

Joxster
06-03-2016, 04:18 AM
I normally just stick with Lavazza, I can get it in bulk from Costco. But I've found an Independant supplier that will match the Costco price for an Espresso Forte for a similar price so I'll give them my business.

There's only two types of coffee Breakfast and Espresso ;)

bcroslin
06-03-2016, 07:57 AM
For you roasters and coffee snobs: can you recommend an inexpensive "bright" bean for cold coffee? I'm a little horrified every time I grind up half a bag of $15 coffee to make cold brew. I was thinking of trying dunks when it goes on sale and maybe even a few of the blonde starbucks coffees.

skiezo
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I have used both good as well as store bought coffees for a cold infusion.
My method is to put the course ground coffee in a 1/2 gallon mason jar and add warm water and let it sit in the grounds for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours.
Next I strain through a fine metal filter and transfer to a 1/2 gallon glass jug and put in he fridge.
Not much noticeable difference between good coffee and DD or other less expensive coffees.
I do pour it in a glass and add some sweetened condensed milk,stir and add ice.

seric
06-03-2016, 02:17 PM
For anyone else interested in accelerating the process of making cold brew coffee, I'll share the technique I learned in a molecular gastronomy course with Dave Arnold.

In a 1qt Whipping Siphon I add 500g of water and around 100g of coffee that's been ground rather on the large side in a burr grinder. I then charge the unit with two N2O cartridges, shake it gently, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. At this point you want to evacuate the N2O as rapidly as possibly in order to promote nitrogen cavitation. You then filter as normal. The same technique can be used for infusing alcohol, however instead of a couple hours you only need let it rest for 30 seconds or so.

Rpoole8537
06-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Overall, I prefer a light to medium roast. However, darker roast is much more available where I live, so I often have problems finding good coffee. I used to roast my own, but I found a Guatemala coffee that I love that is shipped to me from a nearby roaster. I also ordered some Guatemala beans from Sweet Maria's that I liked. It was so much that I immediately ordered another five pounds from the same farm. It was not the same. Oh well.
I use a porcelain pour over cup through a filter. I do use a press pot sometimes if I have a guest.
I have had some great Kenyan coffee, but I don't have a good source. Nay suggestions of where I could purchase light to medium roasted African coffees?
Also, is there a chart available that indicates the best season for a specific coffee bean. I saw one once but I could not find it recently.