PDA

View Full Version : OT: SUV reccomendation

gasman
06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
I decided that the collective wisdom of the forum could help with a car decision. I have a '99 Chevy Suburban. It has been our family trip car as the kids were growing and now it's a trip car for my wife and I. The problem is it has stranded us a couple times in the last few years. Our last "adventure" was having the exhaust system corrode away from the exhaust manifold-resulting in fumes through floor of the truck and hot exhaust blowing onto the starter. Spent the night in Doris, California-a meth filled community in far Northern California. We had to get towed one more time to get the vehicle fixed. This happened in spite of our mechanic giving the car a good looking over before we left. He did replace some parts that were ending their life cycle.

We've been looking around and have yet to hit on a good replacement.

We want something with an ability to fold the seats flat and the two of us to be able sleep in the back. The Suburban with the third seat taken out and the second seat folded up gives you acres of flat territory for our bags and gear.

We want to be able to hit rutted dirt roads to reach some trailheads for hiking. We don't need serious off-road chops but enough to get us to some pretty inaccessible trailheads. Finally, it's got to be reliable. Did I mention reliable ? I want to get a Toyota Tundra but wife does not want to sleep in a shell covering the bed. She wants an SUV. We've looked at what Toyota has to offer, except the Land Cruiser which is out of budget and is too small in the back I think.

The new Suburbans and Tahoes don't have seats that fold completely flat and they cost an arm and a leg. The same problem with the Ford Expedition. The Highlander was just barely big enough to sleep in with some extra support but I'm not sure of it's off-road chops. Subies are probably pushing it for the two of us to sleep inside.

Any reasonable ideas are welcome. Did I say reliable ?;)

firerescuefin
06-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Didn't like the Sequoia? Nice rigs...actually looked at them (used) before convincing my wife a minivan was a better fit for us (in this stage of life)

I decided that the collective wisdom of the forum could help with a car decision. I have a '99 Chevy Suburban. It has been our family trip car as the kids were growing and now it's a trip car for my wife and I. The problem is it has stranded us a couple times in the last few years. Our last "adventure" was having the exhaust system corrode away from the exhaust manifold-resulting in fumes through floor of the truck and hot exhaust blowing onto the starter. Spent the night in Doris, California-a meth filled community in far Northern California. We had to get towed one more time to get the vehicle fixed. This happened in spite of our mechanic giving the car a good looking over before we left. He did replace some parts that were ending their life cycle.

We want something with an ability to fold the seats flat and the two of us to be able sleep in the back. The Suburban with the third seat taken out and the second seat folded up gives you acres of flat territory for our bags and gear.

We want to be able to hit rutted dirt roads to reach some trailheads for hiking. We don't need serious off-road chops but enough to get us to some pretty inaccessible trailheads. Finally, it's got to be reliable. Did I mention reliable ? I want to get a Toyota Tundra but wife does not want to sleep in a shell covering the bed. She wants an SUV. We've looked at what Toyota has to offer, except the Land Cruiser which is out of budget and is too small in the back I think.

The new Suburbans and Tahoes don't have seats that fold completely flat and they cost an arm and a leg. The same problem with the Ford Expedition. The Highlander was just barely big enough to sleep in with some extra support but I'm not sure of it's off-road chops. Subies are probably pushing it for the two of us to sleep inside.

Any reasonable ideas are welcome. Did I say reliable ?;)

gdw
06-01-2016, 10:02 PM
How tall are you?

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Fire- We looked at the Sequoia but the seats don't really fold flat. Nice rig though.

gdw-I'm just over 6' and shrinking yearly at age 62.

jghall
06-01-2016, 10:08 PM
4Runner not work?

shovelhd
06-01-2016, 10:10 PM
The Highlander should be fine on mild dirt roads but the seats don't fold flat. What you need is an old beater Buick wagon with snow tires. Campy stickers optional.

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:14 PM
4Runner not work?

4Runner comes close. Seat isn't quite comfortable enough for the wife and it's not as quiet as she would like.

Ken Robb
06-01-2016, 10:16 PM
I have no opinion since I haven't ever considered flat floors as a factor in choosing a car. Flat cornering maybe, but not floors. OTOH, my OLD neighbors who were old enough to be my parents used to camp in their Subaru wagons when they had to be older than you, GASMAN. :beer:

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:17 PM
The Highlander should be fine on mild dirt roads but the seats don't fold flat. What you need is an old beater Buick wagon with snow tires. Campy stickers optional.

When my wife and started dating 1979 her Dad let us take his old Buick up to go skiing on Mt Hood. That thing was huge and the chains were a b**ch to put on. No Campy stickers either :)

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:20 PM
I have no opinion since I haven't ever considered flat floors as a factor in choosing a car. Flat cornering maybe, but not floors. OTOH, my OLD neighbors who were old enough to be my parents used to camp in their Subaru wagons when they had to be older than you, GASMAN. :beer:

Ouch. Maybe we'll look harder at Subies.

Okay, flat floor request is odd but harder to find than I thought .

Andy sti
06-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Used Sportsmobile? Tacoma with a roof top tent? Or any smaller SUV with a roof top tent. Element with an Ecamper?

Just some ideas. I have a Sprinter and love it.

AngryScientist
06-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Gosh, you need an odyssey with AT tires

saab2000
06-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I recently sold my father's 1998 GMC Yukon as it too was failing piece by piece. One of the great points of that car/truck/SUV was the flat floor when everything was folded down. I too have been looking for the same feature, which seems to no longer really exist. Sadly.

The current GM models don't have it as far as I can tell, despite their enormous growth in size. I would strongly consider another one if they had it. The Yukon had a sleepable back area with everything folded.

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:48 PM
I like the Odyssey and Sprinter ideas but I wonder about their rutted road capability. We've hit some seriously rutted stuff.

Ken Robb
06-01-2016, 10:49 PM
OTOH, our 2014 MAZDA 3 has the 2.5L engine with 6 speed automatic and it is a wonderful drivetrain with good acceleration and 32+ MPG overall. If one of their SUV-type vehicles fits your needs you won't be disappointed with its performance. 22,000 miles and ZERO problems, 3 services for $150 +/-.

vqdriver
06-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Hrm. I'd lean more towards minivan than suv for that kind of utility. Does chrysler still do stow n go for flat floors?
Oh wait, you said reliable.....

Andy sti
06-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Can handle forest service roads and some good size ruts. Mine is not the new 4x4 but I do have larger AT tires.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/andysti1/85D52ED4-465B-4A3D-A4E1-D3E547D49ACB_zpsaowwyppl.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/andysti1/IMG_2517_zpsb562440c.jpg

gasman
I recently sold my father's 1998 GMC Yukon as it too was failing piece by piece. One of the great points of that car/truck/SUV was the flat floor when everything was folded down. I too have been looking for the same feature, which seems to no longer really exist. Sadly.

The current GM models don't have it as far as I can tell, despite their enormous growth in size. I would strongly consider another one if they had it. The Yukon had a sleepable back area with everything folded.

Well the '98 Yukon shared the same platform as our Suburban. Though it's slowly killing me with one thing after another it's kind a pisser as it only has 130,000 miles been garaged and well maintained it's whole life. Maybe I should have whipped it more.
Yes, the new Suburbans don't have the flat floor space and I noticed they have an air dam under the front that seriously decreases your approach angle. Guess it's not meant to be off road any more.:crap:

pjm
New CX-9 should be out soon. The early reviews are positive. (Speaking of Mazda)

gasman
06-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Nice view of the Sisters Andy !

I didn't know they were bringing back the a CX-9. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Ken- I know others who love their Mazdas.

Andy sti
06-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Nice view of the Sisters Andy !

That's actually Shasta, which of course involves a lovely trip through Doris. It does look like it could be the Sisters though.

gasman
06-01-2016, 11:13 PM
That's actually Shasta, which of course involves a lovely trip through Doris. It does look like it could be the Sisters though.

It didn't look quite right but I saw you were from Bend so I assumed wrong.You had a nice camping spot.
Doris is not a vacation Mecca is it ?

grawk
06-02-2016, 04:16 AM
I think the reliable, flat floor, and comfortable is a hell of a combination to shoot for :)

Ford diesel econoline van with a quigley 4x4 conversion probably comes closest.

gomango
06-02-2016, 04:38 AM
We recently visited my wife's family in Costa Rica.

I rented a Landcruiser Prado and was pleasantly surprised.

Decent cabin room, handled like a mountain goat and had reasonable mileage numbers.

The diesel had good torque and seemed to handle all of the challenges up in the Cloud Forest we tossed at it.

Looks to me like there isn't one available here in the US, but the 4Runner gets us close to the same size.

We'll definitely give a 4Runner a thorough look see the next time we buy a vehicle here in Minnesota.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/2/1716/24250386159_0f42de9c9a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CWVyWc)IMG_2826 (https://flic.kr/p/CWVyWc) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

rnhood
06-02-2016, 04:55 AM
The Odyssey with AT tires has another name, "Pilot". Just like the van, the floors go flatter than a pancake when the seats are folded or removed. I slightly favor the van for its greater cargo space but the Pilot is very good too. And of course you will get Honda reliability.

The new Suburbans are nice too but they are rather large.

Climb01742
06-02-2016, 06:33 AM
How about a used Land Cruiser/Lexus version? If it has 75-100k miles on it, it still has at least 100k left. Your choice may come down to Detroit size vs Toyota reliability. While it's true that the Land Cruiser may not have quite a Suburban sized length of space, it does have pretty impressive height back there, which helps with storage and sleeping/sitting up back there. I had the Lexus version. Except for gas milage, it was quite a vehicle. Never did off-road stuff but, man, it got me through some of the worst snow situations I've ever been in. While driving it, you feel like nothing will stop it. Its adjustable body height is a very useful feature. I was able to get an incredible amount of bikes, baggage and stuff in it. One thought to add more storage: how about putting a Thule-type box on top? Then buying a cherry-picker to load it?:D;) Seriously, a pre-owned one might be the ticket, at least the best option available today. Good searching!!

AngryScientist
06-02-2016, 06:50 AM
The Odyssey with AT tires has another name, "Pilot". Just like the van, the floors go flatter than a pancake when the seats are folded or removed.

excellent point. forgot about the Pilot, my buddy has a newer one and it is just what dave is looking for. check's all the boxes.

William
06-02-2016, 07:41 AM

A Honda Element fits those requirements. Reliable, better mileage then a Suburban, deceptively lots of room, seats that fold down, and nimble enough to get into many areas that don't need a full blown 4x4 to access. You could even go full hog and get the ECamper conversion from Ursa Minor...though not really an absolute. Plus Honda has lots of accessories like tents and awnings that attach to the vehicle. I've laid down the seats and put a self-inflating bed roll down and it was very comfortable.

William

William
06-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Also separate Roof-top tents if that's something you would want...

p nut
06-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Flat floor is really a non-issue. There are plenty of options to build a sleeping platform: Drawers (which would also be really handy for storage), or simple DIY plywood method. I would not base my buying decision on flat floors.

That said, for an suv with lots of room, Suburban/Yukon is hard to beat. Land Cruisers are cool (had a 2000 model year), but at 6'2", you're not fitting in the back without taking out (not just folding up) the back seats. But if you're ok with taking the back seats out, 4Runner will fit someone of your size.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/97683-rickashays-sleeping-platform.html

Just a note: MPG in the Land Cruiser sucks (same with Sequoia). Sub/Yukon is much better and from what I've seen, on par with the 4Runners. I will say no Toyota has left me stranded.

jh_on_the_cape
06-02-2016, 09:47 AM
http://www.sportsmobile.com/
expensive though.
i have a ford E150 cargo van and it's flat in the back. super reliable. its not 4x4. you could do a 4x4 and lift conversion if you found a low mileage used donor vehicle. then put in some nice captains chairs up front.

Schmed
06-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Sprinter van with BFGoodrich tires. Handles the ruts just fine, stand up tall, sleep stretched out, carry as many bikes as you want, and get 24 mpg:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/Sprinter/IMG_2403_zpssdjns12d.jpg

p nut
06-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Sprinter van with BFGoodrich tires. Handles the ruts just fine, stand up tall, sleep stretched out, carry as many bikes as you want, and get 24 mpg:

Nice van, Schmed!! I saw a couple of those down in So Utah last week. Looked pretty sweet. I would need AWD personally (which I think is an option), but love the tall roof and gobs of room inside.

Tickdoc
06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/Sprinter/IMG_2403_zpssdjns12d.jpg

I could live in a van down by the river with that!

Schmed
06-02-2016, 10:38 AM
You might have seen me in S Utah last week!

I travel from Denver to Durango/Cortez/Moab monthly and the Sprinter is getting a lot of use for that and there's ALWAYS a bike or two in the back!

Schmed
06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
I could live in a van down by the river with that!

My wife threatens to turn me into that guy.

mvrider
06-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I couldn't convince my wife to buy a minivan, but the AWD Toyota Sienna was intriguing. Better spacer utilization than the Highlander.

p nut
06-02-2016, 11:26 AM
I couldn't convince my wife to buy a minivan, but the AWD Toyota Sienna was intriguing. Better spacer utilization than the Highlander.

For gasman, it wouldn't work.

"We want to be able to hit rutted dirt roads to reach some trailheads for hiking. We don't need serious off-road chops but enough to get us to some pretty inaccessible trailheads."

Although the Sienna might get them to the trailheads, suspension parts just weren't meant for the abuse of rough roads. I wouldn't trust it anyway.

p nut
06-02-2016, 11:27 AM

I travel from Denver to Durango/Cortez/Moab monthly and the Sprinter is getting a lot of use for that and there's ALWAYS a bike or two in the back!

We were more west (Escalante), so probably wasn't you. But love the styling and utilitarian look, down to the steel wheels.

AngryScientist
06-02-2016, 11:35 AM

that rig is sweet.

Ken Robb
06-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I f you use a fat air mattress like ours (8" high +/-) you would only need floors almost flat to sleep comfortably. We gave up on sleeping bags and small mattresses/pads in favor of a queen size mattress inflated with a rechargeable battery-powered pump and pillows and down comforter from home. This covers almost the entire bottom of our "3-person" tent leaving room around the inner perimeter to store stuff. Obviously we are not backpackers but this all fits on a motorcycle.

Ozz
06-02-2016, 11:41 AM

"We want to be able to hit rutted dirt roads to reach some trailheads for hiking. We don't need serious off-road chops but enough to get us to some pretty inaccessible trailheads."

Although the Sienna might get them to the trailheads, suspension parts just weren't meant for the abuse of rough roads. I wouldn't trust it anyway.

I believe on the AWD models it also has run-flat tires....so no spare, and pricey to replace.

54ny77
06-02-2016, 11:56 AM
those are very nice. buddy of mine has one, takes it everywhere.

with a little bit of computer tuning, the ford diesels have some nice get up & go as well, esp. for what is a VERY heavy vehicle.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/
expensive though.
i have a ford E150 cargo van and it's flat in the back. super reliable. its not 4x4. you could do a 4x4 and lift conversion if you found a low mileage used donor vehicle. then put in some nice captains chairs up front.

gasman
06-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Wow- thank you everyone for some great suggestions !
Go to bed and wake up with lots of thoughtful responses .

Nooch
06-02-2016, 12:32 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/34/51/c23451ac945282ee8dd9c4bf8c6d4ffb.jpg

carpediemracing
06-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Not a serious suggestion but I liked these vehicles.

We went on a couple Pink Jeep tours. They have these cool truck things. We went on some rutted roads which, as it got worse, were definitely road car impassable and even mountain bike tough (I wouldn't have been able to clear some of the "roads" without walking/dabbing a lot).

https://www.pinkjeeptourslasvegas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/trekker-parked-outside-in-the-desert.jpg

That image is from 2014. We went a few years about 5-7? years ago so I think we were in different vehicles. I asked what happened to them when they got "old" and the guide didn't know. I'm sure they sell them off at some point. If I could have gotten one as a tow vehicle for the trailer that'd have been cool. Remove a bunch of seats etc etc.

Hm I wonder if I have pictures of the ones were were in. Nothing on the local drive.

soulspinner
06-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Base Volvo XC90 can be had with lower power motor, two rows and a sub 50000 sticker...........

Climb01742
06-02-2016, 02:32 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/34/51/c23451ac945282ee8dd9c4bf8c6d4ffb.jpg

The first ever Toyota that wasn't coma-inducing boring. Kinda cool. Almost bad @ss.

p nut
06-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Not a bad way to spend $150k. :D

taylor_walker
06-02-2016, 03:09 PM
For real world SUVs that fit the bill, I am in agreement with the Honda Pilot/ AcuraMDX suggestion -- they seem to have the flattest folding seats, and they are reliable AWD cars. For extended bike trips and camping, the MB van is hard to beat, but it's a challenge as a daily driver if you live in an urban area or hope to get it into a typical home garage. A good friend of ours has the MB with a Sportsmobile "penthouse" and a flat sleeping platform below it -- sleeps 4 and has room to stash a few bikes under the lower sleeping platform -- very trick, but lots and lots of money. http://www.sportsmobile.com/penthouse-expandable-top/

Taylor Walker
SF CA

mgm777
06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Gasman -- Toyota 4Runner! Nuff said. Can't speak to the newer versions, but my 2007 has plenty room for two with the seats folded flat. And...whatever slight discomfort you might feel because it feels just a little too small, or the seats are not completely comfortable, will be mitigated by the Uber-reliabilty you will experience with a 4Runner. Nearly 10 years and 110K on mine without a single problem.

gasman
06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Gasman -- Toyota 4Runner! Nuff said. Can't speak to the newer versions, but my 2007 has plenty room for two with the seats folded flat. And...whatever slight discomfort you might feel because it feels just a little too small, or the seats are not completely comfortable, will be mitigated by the Uber-reliabilty you will experience with a 4Runner. Nearly 10 years and 110K on mine without a single problem.

That's ! Why I love Toyotas !

gdw
06-02-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm a Toyota fan as well and measured the bed of our 2002 4Runner for you. It's 5'6" with the rear seats folded down and 6' with them removed. If you build an elevated platform and fold down the front seats you would probably have around 6.5' to work with. The newer models look like they would offer the same amount of space. 4Runners are very reliable, have good clearance, and can easily handle rough rocky roads.

Gummee
06-02-2016, 05:00 PM
At 130k, that Sub is barely broken in.

...a repair bill's still a LOT less than a car payment. AMHIK

You have one vote for keep it. It does what you want and is presumably paid off. Something to be said for paid off.

M

gasman
06-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks gdw. I think they are even longer now as I could lay down in the back with the 3rd and 2nd row seats folded. They keep making these things bigger. Highlander was also long enough for me to lay down in but with both I'd need to some modifications to fill in the voids and get good support.

Gummee-the Suburban may only have 130k and it is paid for and my wife loves it but I want to be able to go way into the boonies and not worry about breaking down again. (exhaust system,water pump, rear U-joint) The good thing is every little town out west has somebody that can work on it and has the parts.
I've also avoided having an issue when I noticed the alternator showing a slightly low voltage output, the fuel pump getting weak (wouldn't start pointed uphill ,fine on the flats) Just tired of having a concern before each trip.

I need to check out the Honda Pilot and a few others- that heavily modded Toyota looks great-just not 150k great.

gasman
06-02-2016, 05:38 PM
This is what we may get.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/Abenteuer_Allrad_2013_-_Unimog_437_U4000_6x6_RV_Unicat_MD52h.jpg/640px-Abenteuer_Allrad_2013_-_Unimog_437_U4000_6x6_RV_Unicat_MD52h.jpg

Couldn't get the image to upload here.

Louis
06-02-2016, 06:03 PM
This is what we may get.

Or an Earth Cruiser: http://earthcruiser.com/

http://expeditionmotorhome.com/wp-content/uploads/ec2.jpg

gasman
06-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Or an Earth Cruiser: http://earthcruiser.com/

http://expeditionmotorhome.com/wp-content/uploads/ec2.jpg

Perfect !

Louis
06-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Perfect !

Just down the road from you:

“EarthCruiser makes some of the most incredible and capable vehicles on the planet. Based on a 4-wheel-drive Mitsubishi Fuso platform, the EarthCruiser FX averages 15 miles per gallon, has a 1000 mile range and can carry enough fresh water to keep you off the grid and self-sufficient for months at a time. Founded in Australia and now based in Bend, OR, an EarthCruiser should be on the short list of vehicles to consider if your dream involves selling your house and traveling the globe for years at a time.”

avalonracing
06-02-2016, 06:44 PM
4Runners rock! Love mine and buddy has 353,000 miles on the original engine on his 2001 and it runs like a top. I'm thinking about trading up my '98 for a '16.

dustyrider
06-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Do you know anyone with a pickup/topper camping setup? Maybe if the wife sees what the back can be like in a pickup, she'd be more into it. Take a camping trip with them and she might change her mind... I know lots of couples who get along quite well in the back of their pickups. I just don't have any photos of their setups.
I suppose you could just build something flat into anything you can fit into. I've used several cars in this way. Once you're willing to commit to seat removal, cars have amazing square footage.

Louis
06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Do you mean something simple like this:

http://www.flippac.com/#page_1/

Or a whole camper in the back of a pickup?

Clarification Edit: The two images show two different vehicles, each with a different set-up, but both using a FlipPac to create sleeping space over the top of the truck cab and more standing room in the back.

http://www.flippac.com/images/page3_img6.jpg

http://nonurbia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DSC000841.jpg

Ralph
06-02-2016, 08:45 PM
I have a friend who is a hiker and cyclist, and goes to remote National Forests (Not Parks) all the time.....stays gone about 6 months of the year in the West and NW. He also drags a small Airstream to these places where 4X4 is required.

He uses a 4 door Dodge 4X4 pickup.....with a V8 engine. Has coil springs in rear instead of leaf like most pickups. I rode in it....rides almost like a car. Huge bed....and he also has a shell over it where he hauls his bikes....fork mounted.

I think when you need something to do a truck's kind of work....get a nice riding truck. Otherwise....doesn't the Toyota van come with all wheel drive? Don't know if it has increased clearance.

gasman
06-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Do you know anyone with a pickup/topper camping setup? Maybe if the wife sees what the back can be like in a pickup, she'd be more into it. Take a camping trip with them and she might change her mind... I know lots of couples who get along quite well in the back of their pickups. I just don't have any photos of their setups.
I suppose you could just build something flat into anything you can fit into. I've used several cars in this way. Once you're willing to commit to seat removal, cars have amazing square footage.

Yea we do. She sat in it and felt claustrophobic. Our friend told her that she has occasional problems with water leaking in around the shell in hard rain. That killed the pickup truck idea though I love a good truck.
I do like the idea of seat removal and building a sleeping platform.

dustyrider
06-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Yea we do. She sat in it and felt claustrophobic. Our friend told her that she has occasional problems with water leaking in around the shell in hard rain. That killed the pickup truck idea though I love a good truck.
I do like the idea of seat removal and building a sleeping platform.

Done deal. Oh well.
I can't recall exactly which Subaru forum has several nice examples, but folks trick their wagons out for two. I'd imagine a suv gutted would be rather roomy. Maybe take a new look at the list without rear seats...? Have fun checking out all the nice rides out there.

Louis
06-02-2016, 11:29 PM
I'd start by checking some of these out:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=702&q=adventure+van+4x4&oq=adventure+van&gs_l=img.3.4.0l5j0i30l3j0i5i30l2.555.3048.0.7191.1 3.9.0.4.4.0.113.936.0j9.9.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0 .13.962.e-BP7zo5VNg

(Google image search on the terms "adventure van 4x4")

If you don't need much off-road capability, then a modified full-size van will do the trick.

KF9YR
06-03-2016, 12:59 AM
Are you sure Suburbans don't have rear seats that fold flat?

My dad has a 2015 Escalade and the seats fold flat. I've loaded/unloaded plenty of stuff for my parents. They have electric folding seats but doesn't the Chevy or GMC have this feature?

I know the Escalade is very expensive but I also know they never want to give us much for a trade, are the used ones still really expensive?

Good luck with your search.

poff
06-03-2016, 08:20 AM
What is wrong with the Nissan Armada?

Mikej
06-03-2016, 08:31 AM
How much did you want to spend? Because I think you want the features of a $150k+ adventure 4x4 for a lot cheaper. The suburban would be hard to beat, especially when travel and requiring repairs, many dealers available. I'd go with an EARTHROAMER-

AngryScientist
06-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Dave, Have you considered a small tow behind micro camper? As you may know i built my own, but there are various manufacturers who make them, including some nice ones geared for off-road adventure. these could offer several advantages, including letting you use whatever vehicle you want for towing. you could definitely get an ultra-reliable tacoma or something and go anywhere with one of these. the micro camper offers the luxury of keeping screeded windows open all night and turning on a fan for good bug free airflow for when the temps are warmer. just a thought.

http://moby1trailers.com/assets/images/models/xc.jpg

gasman
06-03-2016, 05:44 PM
I haven't looked at the Escalade but it's basically a fancy Suburban. I'm not enamored with American autos/trucks at the moment.

poff- I'll check out the Armada. That has not been on my radar.

Louis- There are a lot of serious off road vans 4x4's out there. They all seem expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Not sure i want to spend that much money.

Nick- We have thought of both a big and small trailer, in fact we rented an Airstream for 5 days last year. We liked having a place to crash but when your driving it's very hard to stop spontaneously toes a historic marker or ID an interesting bird. (yes , we are those people who suddenly signal and pull over).

Thanks for all the input. I hope to spend not more than $60 k for everything. It should be possible.

texbike
06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
How about a used Land Cruiser/Lexus version? If it has 75-100k miles on it, it still has at least 100k left. Your choice may come down to Detroit size vs Toyota reliability. While it's true that the Land Cruiser may not have quite a Suburban sized length of space, it does have pretty impressive height back there, which helps with storage and sleeping/sitting up back there. I had the Lexus version. Except for gas milage, it was quite a vehicle. Never did off-road stuff but, man, it got me through some of the worst snow situations I've ever been in. While driving it, you feel like nothing will stop it. Its adjustable body height is a very useful feature. I was able to get an incredible amount of bikes, baggage and stuff in it. One thought to add more storage: how about putting a Thule-type box on top? Then buying a cherry-picker to load it?:D;) Seriously, a pre-owned one might be the ticket, at least the best option available today. Good searching!!

I have a LX 470 and love it! It has 210K miles on it and is rock solid. I've hauled trailers with other (lighter) cars on them, horse trailers, taken it on deeply rutted trails/roads where I wouldn't dare drive a car or minivan, and run it comfortably at 75-80 on the highway. It's been incredibly reliable over my 35K miles of ownership with nothing more than maintenance and wear items addressed. The gas mileage is terrible and the worst part of the equation. It was intended to be a short-term purchase but has become a part of the family. We call it "The Tank". The 100 series Land Cruisers and LXs were produced from 1998-2007. The nicest, newest ones can be found for around $25K. They drop in price from there...

Land Cruisers are cool (had a 2000 model year), but at 6'2", you're not fitting in the back without taking out (not just folding up) the back seats.

Just a note: MPG in the Land Cruiser sucks (same with Sequoia). Sub/Yukon is much better and from what I've seen, on par with the 4Runners. I will say no Toyota has left me stranded.

Again, agreed on the mileage. As for room in the back, my son and I have ended up sleeping in it twice now on camping trips as opposed to putting up a tent. Even at 5'10", I found it a bit tight inside for sleeping in the back and not quite as comfortable as I would like.

Texbike

William
06-03-2016, 06:36 PM
This ticks all the boxes...:)

http://landcruiserrestorations.com/available-for-restoration

I put well over 350,000 on mine.

William

gdw
06-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Quick question for the Landcruiser owners.... how many miles per gallon are you getting on the highway? My FJ60 averaged 13 and my friends with FJ80 series models report the same. Are the 100 series Toyota/Lexis more efficient?

William
06-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Quick question for the Landcruiser owners.... how many miles per gallon are you getting on the highway? My FJ60 averaged 13 and my friends with FJ80 series models report the same. Are the 100 series Toyota/Lexis more efficient?

I figured mine a wee bit higher than that but considering it has 33's it was skewed a bit.

William

texbike
06-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Absolutely more efficient. 15 mpg. :)

Texbike

gasman
06-03-2016, 07:22 PM
This ticks all the boxes...:)

http://landcruiserrestorations.com/available-for-restoration

I put well over 350,000 on mine.

William

I agree. But, those old inline 6's were pretty underpowered and they got lousy milage ! They lasted forever. A good friend of mine took and turned in his old 80 series Land Cruiser for the cash for clunkers before I knew he was going to do it. I wished I had gotten to him before he took it in. Low milage at 165,000.

Louis
06-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Louis- There are a lot of serious off road vans 4x4's out there. They all seem expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Not sure i want to spend that much money.

It's super-easy to spend other folk's money on the internet. ;)

In my case, if I were spending my own money, I'd probably get something like a FlipPac on a 4x4 truck to give me versatility, if all I wanted to haul was a bit of stuff, two bicycles, and do a bit of camping.

If I wanted to haul my motorcycle and have a bit more comfort (eg fridge, microwave, air conditioner, etc) I would use the same truck FlipPac combo and add to that something like the Micro-Lite Car-Go Lite Xtreme toy hauler:

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/images/xtreme/xtreme_1.jpg

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/images/xtreme/xtreme_3.jpg

ripvanrando
06-03-2016, 07:29 PM
I have an off-road built 2003 land cruiser and a new 200 series land cruiser.

The 200 has more leg room and more space in the back than the Hundy. It is also much more comfy and much better milesge

Removing the 2/3 rear seat and building a platform is easy. I have a fridge freezer in there. No problem laying flat to sleep. I'm 6'4''.

If you don't need the off-road capability, the land cruisers are over the top but they are built like brick s houses

gasman
06-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I have an off-road built 2003 land cruiser and a new 200 series land cruiser.

The 200 has more leg room and more space in the back than the Hundy. It is also much more comfy and much better milesge

Removing the 2/3 rear seat and building a platform is easy. I have a fridge freezer in there. No problem laying flat to sleep. I'm 6'4''.

If you don't need the off-road capability, the land cruisers are over the top but they are built like brick s houses

I looked at a used '15 LC today. It did seem that taking out the seats would give us just enough room and building a platform would be easy. Great to hear that at 6'4" you fit in there fine. They are built to last and I know that the off-road capability will be used. Not daily but used.

gasman
06-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Louis-it is easy to spend other people's money over the internet. I also love to think about choices. The wife has nixed a trailer.

AngryScientist
06-03-2016, 07:50 PM
edited, looks too short for you dave.

Louis
06-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Are you a member on ADVrider? (have to be to see the classifieds)

'87 FJ60 (asking $27.5k, which seems steep to me) Rust-free, in AZ

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1987-fj60-toyota-land-cruiser-silver-27-500-00.1150818/

Edit: I know this wouldn't be a serious contender for something your wife would like, but I just had to add it to the list...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/sethro950/Adventure%20Driven%20body%20peaks-1_zpstrrzbccs.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/sethro950/dash-1_zpst19dyjtm.jpg

gdw
06-03-2016, 08:24 PM
I loved my FJ60 but it was really underpowered for highway driving in mountainous terrain. Driving to Leadville or Moab from Boulder was an adventure when your truck can barely break 40mph climbing up to Eisenhower Tunnel or Vail Pass. The only vehicles that it could pass were old VW vans, Isuzu Troopers, and loaded semis.

ripvanrando
06-03-2016, 08:32 PM
I looked at a used '15 LC today. It did seem that taking out the seats would give us just enough room and building a platform would be easy. Great to hear that at 6'4" you fit in there fine. They are built to last and I know that the off-road capability will be used. Not daily but used.
My teen son and I did a bunch of Wells guidebook red rated off road stuff in Colorado last summer in the built land cruiser 100. I don't have the lift or Gompers or sliders or 35 inch tires or wench etc on the new one. Nonetheless I would not hesitate to take forest service road in its stock config. I'm going to get better tires and leave it like that. The only thing I don't like is the cold drink box stealing valuable space in the center armeet

Walter
06-04-2016, 06:55 AM
I have not read every post in this thread so apologies if I repeat anything already said...

I bought a new 4Runner. They are incredibly durable and capable. Great resale. I am getting 20 mpg in town.

I too love the FJ60's, but they get really poor mileage and are underpowered to a fault as some have posted here. One thing I considered is a V8 engine swap in one, but I just lacked the energy to embark on the project.

Good hunting...

p nut
06-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Absolutely more efficient. 15 mpg. :)

Texbike

I saw 16mpg highway. Mixed was 13. Not its forte. Makes up for it in comfort and off-road prowess.

saab2000
06-04-2016, 06:47 PM
It's not as rugged as a Land Cruiser, but also probably a bit more mainstream and serviceable. And it's still truck-based.

What about a Sequoia? I saw a first generation one at my uncle's place yesterday and it was roomier than the Yukon I just sold. I think it was a 2004 or something like that and in very good condition. He bought it used a couple years back as a local runabout for his summer home in Wisconsin and it got me thinking about them. My cousin told me it will fit a queen sized mattress. I'm skeptical but I suppose it's not out of the question. Never measured.... But it doesn't quite seem possible. The third row (it has one!) is removable, not foldable and to me this is a really nice thing. It appeared as though you could have a flat floor if you wanted it and I do find that a desirable thing.

Fuel economy is poor though, same as with the GM products. But quality and durability are likely far, far better and this is reflected in the used prices of these vehicles.

Anyone here have a Toyota Sequoia? Comments? I'm moderately interested in replacing my old Yukon with a Sequoia.

Louis
06-04-2016, 09:52 PM
More inspiration:

http://nyti.ms/1XnKJZG

William
06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
It's not as rugged as a Land Cruiser, but also probably a bit more mainstream and serviceable. And it's still truck-based.

What about a Sequoia? I saw a first generation one at my uncle's place yesterday and it was roomier than the Yukon I just sold. I think it was a 2004 or something like that and in very good condition. He bought it used a couple years back as a local runabout for his summer home in Wisconsin and it got me thinking about them. My cousin told me it will fit a queen sized mattress. I'm skeptical but I suppose it's not out of the question. Never measured.... But it doesn't quite seem possible. The third row (it has one!) is removable, not foldable and to me this is a really nice thing. It appeared as though you could have a flat floor if you wanted it and I do find that a desirable thing.

Fuel economy is poor though, same as with the GM products. But quality and durability are likely far, far better and this is reflected in the used prices of these vehicles.

Anyone here have a Toyota Sequoia? Comments? I'm moderately interested in replacing my old Yukon with a Sequoia.

We drove our sister-in-law's Sequoia around Nor-Cal and Southern Oregon from the Coast up to Crater Lake and back. Really liked it, lots of room and good power. The gas mileage wasn't the best but that's the trade off for room and horses. I think some of the years had frame rust issues so worth looking into if it's something you are considering.

William

William
06-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Oh oh oh....

Nice LC Prado not too far from you in Bend....I think that could tick all the boxes for you.

https://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/5583122648.html

William

texbike
06-05-2016, 11:35 AM

What about a Sequoia? .

I came VERY close to buying a Sequoia before the 100. I'm happy with my choice, but if the seller and I had agreed on a price for the Sequoia, I'm sure that I would have been perfectly happy with it as well. The materials and finish quality isn't as high as the LC, but there is definitely more room in the back of the Sequoia.

Texbike

saab2000
06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
I came VERY close to buying a Sequoia before the 100. I'm happy with my choice, but if the seller and I had agreed on a price for the Sequoia, I'm sure that I would have been perfectly happy with it as well. The materials and finish quality isn't as high as the LC, but there is definitely more room in the back of the Sequoia.

Texbike

Yeah, it's a bit strange. They get mediocre reviews from the magazines but I suspect there's something to them because used prices are pretty high. The actual owners seem to like them and they hold their value fairly well. My uncle's looked much more spacious than my old Yukon. I don't really need a Land Cruiser, though it would have the proverbial "Street Cred"!

I'd like space for bikes and stuff and to be able to transport people when needed.

colbyh
06-05-2016, 11:42 AM

my father just traded in his Sequoia with ~300K miles on the thing. lugged around everything from car parts to kids for more than a decade, really fantastic truck.

saab2000
06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
my father just traded in his Sequoia with ~300K miles on the thing. lugged around everything from car parts to kids for more than a decade, really fantastic truck.

I'm really tempted to find a low-mileage, southern/desert Sequoia from the 2005-2007 era. Last years of the first generation.

weisan
06-05-2016, 01:20 PM
I'm really tempted to find a low-mileage, southern/desert Sequoia from the 2005-2007 era. Last years of the first generation.

saab pal, are you marrying a single mom with 12 kids?!
:D

p nut
06-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it's a bit strange. They get mediocre reviews from the magazines but I suspect there's something to them because used prices are pretty high. The actual owners seem to like them and they hold their value fairly well. My uncle's looked much more spacious than my old Yukon. I don't really need a Land Cruiser, though it would have the proverbial "Street Cred"!

I'd like space for bikes and stuff and to be able to transport people when needed.

A close friend went from a Sequoia to Tahoe. The Tahoe is actually slightly bigger with tiny bit more cargo, I believe. He's had few issues with the Sequoia but it held up well for the 150k miles he had it. But they much prefer the ride and performance (16mpg vs 20+ mpg) of the Tahoe. Of course, that's comparing a vehicle 10 years old to a new one, so take that for what it's worth.

If I were buying today, I'd get a Tahoe if I were doing lots of road trips and moderate dirt roads. If u were doing more "expedition" travels over harsh terrain, I'd go Land Cruiser ( 200-series). For most people, Tahoe makes more sense.

William
06-05-2016, 02:34 PM
If you are going to go down the used Sequoia route, check for recalls and service bulletins (described as recall bypass) about frame rot. 2001 - 2004 for sure, though I've heard rumors of other years that Toyota refused to cover.

Do your homework!http://www.dfonexus.com/styles/executive/xenfocus/smilies/emot-eng101.gif

William

saab2000
06-05-2016, 03:35 PM
saab pal, are you marrying a single mom with 12 kids?!
:D

Ha! Na, I just enjoyed the space in my old Yukon and I'm not going to lie, I also enjoyed the higher seating position and commanding view of the road. I just don't really want a pickup truck. I enjoyed the space inside the vehicle to put all my stuff, but I have to admit, the Sequoia's advertised fuel "economy" is eye watering... That alone makes it unlikely to happen.

A close friend went from a Sequoia to Tahoe. The Tahoe is actually slightly bigger with tiny bit more cargo, I believe. He's had few issues with the Sequoia but it held up well for the 150k miles he had it. But they much prefer the ride and performance (16mpg vs 20+ mpg) of the Tahoe. Of course, that's comparing a vehicle 10 years old to a new one, so take that for what it's worth.

If I were buying today, I'd get a Tahoe if I were doing lots of road trips and moderate dirt roads. If u were doing more "expedition" travels over harsh terrain, I'd go Land Cruiser ( 200-series). For most people, Tahoe makes more sense.

I looked at the current generation Tahoe a couple years ago. It was vastly larger than my old '98 Yukon. Somewhere I have a picture of the two sitting next to each other and my '98 looked like a mini-ute crossover comparatively. I'm not particularly concerned with real off-roading. I'd probably hit a few gravel roads occasionally. As far as reliability, it's hard to say over the long haul. My '98 started to nickel and dime me towards the end and the rust underneath the vehicle was epic. That's what killed it.

William
06-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Since I'm spending Gasman's money....:D

How about a 4Runner Diesel?

http://www.importperformanceusa.com/project/1999-toyota-4runner-limited-diesel-22950-00/

This truck was build about a year ago by Import Performance. This customer is already for his next project with a Tacoma and is selling this 4runner! Over 30 grand invested in this perfect 4runner. The conversion was done with a MANUAL transmission! You heard me right! This is a very rare manual diesel 4runner conversion. The donor Hilux Surf was a manual transmission and we converted this Limited 4runner to except the manual transmission. It received a new clutch, timing belt, water pump, all new seals and fluids when the conversion was completed. We also installed 5100 Bilstein shocks which raised it up just a hair. It has a new ARB bumper, black pro comp wheels and roof rack. It does have new tires on it that are not pictured. This truck is in perfect shape inside and out.

William

thirdgenbird
06-05-2016, 06:29 PM
That 4Runner is awesome

gasman
06-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Oh oh oh....

Nice LC Prado not too far from you in Bend....I think that could tick all the boxes for you.

https://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/5583122648.html

William

I love this LC. I checked out his website and saw the 4 runner also. I'm going to contact the guy tomorrow. I may have a day trip over to Bend this week.

Thanks for the heads up William ! I love having people spend my money :banana:

Dave

William
06-06-2016, 07:01 AM
I love this LC. I checked out his website and saw the 4 runner also. I'm going to contact the guy tomorrow. I may have a day trip over to Bend this week.

Thanks for the heads up William ! I love having people spend my money :banana:

Dave

That Prado is nice, and I dig the 4Runner set up. If I was still in Corvallis or PDX I would take a trip over to check them out...and I'm not even in the market right now.

I like spending other people's money!:D

Good luck...and ride report if you come home with one!

William

azrider
09-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Gasman.....whatdja end up getting?

Wife and I have been looking for something similar to what you mentioned in OP and ended up going with '97 Montero. I bought it from an 'enthusiast' so it had extremely detailed maintenance and came with 4x and rear lockers, 33" mud tires all with only 150K on the od. He was selling only because he found a Gen2.5 Montero and wife wouldn't let him keep both.

Cargo area is enough to house two bikes (could probably squeeze three in there) and I'm in process of building fold out bed for weekend camping trips with wife and kid.

I've already put it through some DD duties and took it off-road couple of times and this thing is extremely capable rig.

William
09-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Gasman.....whatdja end up getting?

Wife and I have been looking for something similar to what you mentioned in OP and ended up going with '97 Montero. I bought it from an 'enthusiast' so it had extremely detailed maintenance and came with 4x and rear lockers, 33" mud tires all with only 150K on the od. He was selling only because he found a Gen2.5 Montero and wife wouldn't let him keep both.

Cargo area is enough to house two bikes (could probably squeeze three in there) and I'm in process of building fold out bed for weekend camping trips with wife and kid.

I've already put it through some DD duties and took it off-road couple of times and this thing is extremely capable rig.

Nice score D!

Per our discussion, and on the Mitsu front...I'm currently looking into the Delica LC300 Starwagons. 4x4 Turbo Deisel minivans. They can bring them into the States now (per the 25yr rule) and most are very low mileage. Manual or auto options...you just have to get used to right hand drive. Unusual and very capable rigs.

A walk around...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiI6mUGaTvk

William

azrider
09-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Nice score D!

Per our discussion, and on the Mitsu front...I'm currently looking into the Delica LC300 Starwagons. 4x4 Turbo Deisel minivans. They can bring them into the States now (per the 25yr rule) and most are very low mileage. Manual or auto options...you just have to get used to right hand drive. Unusual and very capable rigs.

Thanks William! Excited to put it through it's paces.

That Starwagon you IM'd me thats located in CO looks pretty legit. Very cool rigs for sure.

1happygirl
09-09-2016, 01:17 PM
I know Gasman said SUV but for me it has always been Chrysler Town and Country Van for the fold flat seating.
They have been totally redesigned for 2017 and rebranded as the Pacifica model.

Full disclosure:
I didn't read all the responses but I will go back and do so because I always learn from you guys.(Heck I may even have responded already and slept since then!).
They are upwards of 45k fully loaded.

To get a more scholarly and fairly objective opinion here is an auto columnists view as this would be the one car to have (even as a dude):
http://www.wsj.com/articles/chrysler-pacifica-a-minivan-minus-the-shame-1469130436?tesla=y

I recently had the opportunity to drive one for a week and I'm sold. I would not consider the 5k sunroof/full roof moonroof, however, which would cut the cost a little. The gass (ha) mileage to me for the amount of space is insane. I recently drove a small compact car around for a week also and didn't get the mileage that was obtained on the 2017 Pacifica.
Now to go rob that bank....

azrider
09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
I know Gasman said SUV but for me it has always been Chrysler Town and Country Van for the fold flat seating.
They have been totally redesigned for 2017 and rebranded as the Pacifica model.

While nice, the Pacifica wouldn't check the below box(s) from OP, epecially the reliability factor :p:p

We want to be able to hit rutted dirt roads to reach some trailheads for hiking. We don't need serious off-road chops but enough to get us to some pretty inaccessible trailheads. Finally, it's got to be reliable. Did I mention reliable ?

1happygirl
09-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks AZ

My bad for sure (I'm sleep deprived or depraved)! Maybe:

www.sportsmobile.com

Convert it to a 4x4

True and they (the chryler mV) have not been that reliable (meaning upwards of 100 miles) anyway but with the new redesign?
(Can u tell I'm really sold on it though)?
PS I saw where you AZ got the Montero. Heard some good things. Wasn't that at one point (or at least the brand) the go-to for the Paris-Dakaar rally cars?

paredown
09-09-2016, 01:41 PM
We drove our sister-in-law's Sequoia around Nor-Cal and Southern Oregon from the Coast up to Crater Lake and back. Really liked it, lots of room and good power. The gas mileage wasn't the best but that's the trade off for room and horses. I think some of the years had frame rust issues so worth looking into if it's something you are considering.

William

AFAIK, the Sequoia and Tundra shared common frame components (and other bits including bumpers etc)--and both were under the recall for frame rusting. Affected years were 2000-2003 for Tundra, and possibly 2001-2004 for the Sequoia.

For my Tundra, it was not a big deal--took it to the dealer, they took the box off and sprayed some sort of non-drying gunk all over the frame. Some people did have enough rust that frames were replaced.

gasman
10-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Well, after a lot of research I think I'll be looking for a 100 series Land Cruiser or the Lexus 470 equivalent. That means a roughly a 2000-2007 vehicle with around 100K miles. Make sure the motor is sound, minimal rust and all maintenance performed regularly. Bit more than we need off road wise but they are so bullet proof.
It's going to be a hard search but I plan on taking out the 2nd and 3rd row seats. Build a platform with storage underneath. A few suspension mods. Big bumper.
I'm looking forward to the search which will start in the next few weeks in ernest.

p nut
10-24-2016, 09:49 PM
If you can swing it, I highly recommend an 05-07. Better power, 5-sp, etc. or at least an 03 for the 5-speed transmission.

Kirk007
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM
here you go Dave. Fly to Chicago, catch a world series game and drive on home (yes I have too many internet car search browsers open).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2005-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-c3962#listing=150957145

gasman
10-24-2016, 10:05 PM
If you can swing it, I highly recommend an 05-07. Better power, 5-sp, etc. or at least an 03 for the 5-speed transmission.

Good points !

gasman
10-24-2016, 10:07 PM
here you go Dave. Fly to Chicago, catch a world series game and drive on home (yes I have too many internet car search browsers open).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2005-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-c3962#listing=150957145

😀 Yea, but I'm looking for a west coast car where they don't salt the roads.

You do have too much time and too many windows open.

Louis
10-24-2016, 10:07 PM
here you go Dave. Fly to Chicago, catch a world series game and drive on home

Chicago IL to Eugene, OR = 2135 miles

2135 / 16 mpg = 133.44 gal

133.44 x ~2.25 $ / gal (guess) = $300 - Not too bad, and way less than WS tickets on StubHub.com

jh_on_the_cape
10-25-2016, 05:55 AM
This is in my town. Mileage ok but older year. Ready for adventure.
http://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/5831976419.html

humboldt
10-25-2016, 09:57 AM
We have a 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser and love it. It has 230k miles but still solid and reliable.

jtbadge
10-25-2016, 10:21 AM
This thread has been interesting. I have been looking at 90's-ish Land Cruisers, but honestly they are probably too big. Might need to size down to a 4Runner.

William
10-25-2016, 10:37 AM
😀 Yea, but I'm looking for a west coast car where they don't salt the roads.

You do have too much time and too many windows open.

Chicago is where I found my 60. After much communication, lots of pictures, and researching, I flew out there. Checked it out, drove it around DT Chicago, and then drove it home to RI. It was a fun adventure.

William

gasman
10-25-2016, 01:28 PM
This is in my town. Mileage ok but older year. Ready for adventure.
http://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/5831976419.html

Good looking vehicle set up similar to what I envision only with a lower platform and smaller pull outs. Too bad it's a 1991-they were way underpowered (155hp) for getting over big passes in the West with a full load.

William-
I assume your vehicle must not have had much rust to buy it. I would be concerned about the salting of the roads in the midwest and elsewhere.