PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sleeve type product for training rides in over 100 deg temps?

Saxon
06-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Has anybody had luck with any of the sun screening sleeves/legs for heavy duty training rides in the upper 90's and 100's? It's getting to be that time of year again, and I weary of the goop.:p

guido
06-01-2016, 07:31 PM
The DeSoto Skin Coolers have a good reputation among the tri folk...

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/skin-cooler

I really like the long sleeve jerseys from Bouré

http://www.boure.com/jerseysmen.html

donevwil
06-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I have a pair of the Voler sleeves, they work well but must be wet (with sweat or water) and you must be moving at a reasonable clip to yield the swamp cooler effect. I think hard training on a very hot day would be ideal. Stop sweating or slow way down and they revert to being arm "warmers".

Cornfed
06-01-2016, 07:56 PM
The Pearl Izumi sun sleeves got me through some sweltering days on RAGBRAI.

ryker
06-01-2016, 08:05 PM
I am using the Pearl Izumi sunsleeves already. The 2015 model was good and the 2016 is even better — got two sets. I apply sunscreen underneath but don't bring it with me to re-apply. Maybe overcautious but too many hours in the tattoo parlour to mess around lol.

pdmtong
06-01-2016, 08:23 PM
I have a pair of the Voler sleeves, they work well but must be wet (with sweat or water) and you must be moving at a reasonable clip to yield the swamp cooler effect. I think hard training on a very hot day would be ideal. Stop sweating or slow way down and they revert to being arm "warmers".

This was my experience as well with the Rapha screens

Thi

sw3759
06-01-2016, 08:53 PM
have tried about 10 different brands of arm coolers,I swear by them.so far the craft branded were my favorites.for knees and legs I know voler sells some but havn't used them.i'm sure there fine.i'd try them I was going to be riding in the sun all day,or doing 6-7 hr rides day after day.all of the brands seem to yellow fairly quickly and after a season or so of use start to look kind of nasty

jischr
06-01-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of sun block white streaks running down my arms. I bought 2 pairs of Nike golf sun sleeves a couple years ago. As mentioned before they cool nicely if they're damp and don't seem to add any noticeable heat load when dry. On long rides I'll slide them down on my wrists for 10-15 minutes every now and then just to change it up. I like them better than my two long sleeve white summer jersey's. The jerseys feel hotter to me and you can't roll them down (or up).

aaronf
06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Being silly fair-skinned I've been using sun sleeves for at least the last 5-6 seasons, probably longer. Have tried pretty much all of them with the exception of Rapha and Assos; no animosity, just haven't tried them.

I've found the Craft and Loius Garneau to be the best for me. Both are nice and thin and seem to add no thermal load. They fit my skinny long arms well and have stayed bright white through many loads of machine washing and hang drying. Currently like the LG a touch better as they have a silicone gripper at the top to prevent them sliding down my pathetic excuse for biceps.

Definitely prevent burning, but will not prevent mild tanning of skin. In the right light I can see where my watch completely blocks the sun as I wear it over the sun sleeve.

Clancy
06-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Check out Columbia's. Have a technology labeled "omni freeze" which is a little hyped, but still effective. Sold to protect fishermen out in the broiling sun. I've used them for 3 years, work nice. Rode a 3 hour route one day with them on, 100 degrees. Same route next day but no sleeves, my arms baked and I felt noticeably hotter. In South Texas, the sun and heat are relentless, sunscreens are a must. Never saw them 3 years ago, common place not.

I've worn De Soto's, P.I.'s, Craft's, all effective, Columbia's more so

tiretrax
06-02-2016, 08:59 AM
I just bought a new pair of Pearl Izumi to replace an original pair. The new one is lightweight and fine by itself, whereas the original pair was more like a double knit and too hot unless wet.

stephenmarklay
06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I just bought a new pair of Pearl Izumi to replace an original pair. The new one is lightweight and fine by itself, whereas the original pair was more like a double knit and too hot unless wet.

Have used some PI for a number of years and really like them.

stephenmarklay
06-02-2016, 09:03 AM
One thing I like to do is wear gloves to keep the sun off my hands. I am not sure that it keeps me cooler but when I sweat I have better grip too.