PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback on Polar M450

purpurite
05-31-2016, 04:28 PM
Anyone have one? I know the lack of ANT+ bothers some, but it doesn't mean much to me at all. It seems to do everything I would need, but I'd love to hear some first-hand experience with this unit.

MattTuck
05-31-2016, 08:27 PM
If you haven't seen it already, here's DC Rainmaker's review. (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/polars-cycling-computer.html)

I'm apparently now in the market for a new GPS computer.

purpurite
05-31-2016, 08:29 PM
I read his review and watched the videos he put together. The Strava connectivity is important to me, and it looks like they have that worked out now. I could care less about ANT+ and I like the HRM background of Polar, so this one falls right in the sweet spot for me.

I'm hoping someone here has first-hand experiences with one. My trigger finger is gettin' itchy and an Amazon shopping cart awaits.

purpurite
06-02-2016, 10:31 AM
So... no one here has one of these? :confused:

MattTuck
06-02-2016, 11:10 AM
So... no one here has one of these? :confused:

Would not surprise me. They announced this and then like 2 weeks later, Garmin announced the Edge 520 and the smaller Edge 20 and 25. Which pretty much filled the niche that the m450 was attempting to fill. So, most people (I'd think) would go with Garmin (a known quantity, been doing these types of computers for a while) rather than take a chance on Polar (unknown how good their GPS is, sort of new into this higher end cycle computer game).

My understanding is that the m450 has a better black/white screen that is great for day light viewing. other than that, it seems the Garmin line up has better features.

purpurite
06-02-2016, 11:49 AM
I do like the Polar HRM integration. Does Garmin have that capability?

I'm a Garmin neophyte, coming from simple Cateye speed and distance computers for like, forever.

ftf
06-02-2016, 02:51 PM
I do like the Polar HRM integration. Does Garmin have that capability?

I'm a Garmin neophyte, coming from simple Cateye speed and distance computers for like, forever.

Garmin has heart rate, though it's through a ANT+ hrm strap. Frankly if the polar is still using their own personal technology, this is a win for Garmin, as you can use stuff like the Scosche Rhythm+, or whatever comes out in the future that is better. With polar you are possibly wedded to their options, which as far as I know is just chest strap.

Garmin makes a couple chest straps as well, I have their older one, and it works fine.

Garmin pretty much can accept data from any device, where as the Polar is much more locked down.

MattTuck
06-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Garmin has heart rate, though it's through a ANT+ hrm strap. Frankly if the polar is still using their own personal technology, this is a win for Garmin, as you can use stuff like the Scosche Rhythm+, or whatever comes out in the future that is better. With polar you are possibly wedded to their options, which as far as I know is just chest strap.

Garmin makes a couple chest straps as well, I have their older one, and it works fine.

Garmin pretty much can accept data from any device, where as the Polar is much more locked down.

I don't think that is true with the M450. I believe it has Blue Tooth low power, which is an open standard, unlike the ANT+ which Garmin controls.

Wahoo makes HRM, speed cadence sensors that use the Blue Tooth standard, so you are in theory not locked in. I'd expect more and more devices in the future to include both ANT+ and bluetooth as wireless options.

ftf
06-02-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't think that is true with the M450. I believe it has Blue Tooth low power, which is an open standard, unlike the ANT+ which Garmin controls.

Wahoo makes HRM, speed cadence sensors that use the Blue Tooth standard, so you are in theory not locked in. I'd expect more and more devices in the future to include both ANT+ and bluetooth as wireless options.

While true Ant+ is marketed by a subsidiary of Garmin, Dynastream, bought after the technology was invented, I don't know what that has to do with anything, it's currently the most used standard for fitness devices.

Polar is obviously using BlueTooth Smart for power, says so right on their website. They don't mention on their website about HR, though I did just check the DCrainmaker site, and apparently you are right that it uses Bluetooth Smart for HR.

Anyways Bluetooth smart has yet to catch on, while I'm sure more devices in the future will have it, as you pointed out they are all chest straps, and to my knowledge there aren't any, reliable at least, armbands for hr, so you are still stuck with a cheststrap, which personally I hate. As for the mentioned Wahoo products they broadcast in Ant+ was well.

leftyfreak
02-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna revive this thread...

The Polar M450 is very inexpensive on Amazon at the moment, and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience using one.

Thanks!

Bob Ross
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
My wife has had an M450 for 4 or 5 months now.

When it works, she loves it. But...

:crap:

It seems to be a very finnicky device in terms of maintaining ride data if you stop mid-ride, or finding/pairing with the speed, cadence, & heartrate sensors if you stop the "recording" and then attempt to re-start it.

Also, she's pretty underwhelmed with Polar's tech support; everyone she's communicated with when trying to troubleshoot the various problems she's encountered comes across as a non-expert (and non-English speaker) who's simply reading from the Owner's Manual.

I'll ask her if she wants to add any more details to this thread.

sulfate125
02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
I have been using one for a year and I think it is great. It has never lost data except when the battery wore out after 11 hours of riding. I admit polar's tech support is worthless, but it is easy to use. The only issue is that I often have to re pair my power meter (stages at the beginning of a ride). Polar's web site is good and allow downloading the data. Highly recommended.