PDA

View Full Version : Powertap troubleshooting help

MattTuck
05-30-2016, 09:10 AM
I am trying out a power tap SL+ wheel, and it seems to lose the connection with my Garmin Edge 705 when coasting.

If I keep pedaling, it seems to keep transmitting data. But, once I start coasting for a few seconds, it stops and Garmin does not pick it back up.

Anyway, trying to determine if this is the wheel, or the Garmin that is the problem. Is the powertap just broadcasting the data, or is there some sort of handshake between a head unit and the hub?

I can borrow a friend's wahoo rflkt, that I believe can do the ANT+. I wonder if the power tap could send data to both, so I could see if that is the problem. Or does the power tap just have to be connected to only one?

Thanks.

makoti
05-30-2016, 10:23 AM
I am trying out a power tap SL+ wheel, and it seems to lose the connection with my Garmin Edge 705 when coasting.

If I keep pedaling, it seems to keep transmitting data. But, once I start coasting for a few seconds, it stops and Garmin does not pick it back up.

Anyway, trying to determine if this is the wheel, or the Garmin that is the problem. Is the powertap just broadcasting the data, or is there some sort of handshake between a head unit and the hub?

I can borrow a friend's wahoo rflkt, that I believe can do the ANT+. I wonder if the power tap could send data to both, so I could see if that is the problem. Or does the power tap just have to be connected to only one?

Thanks.

It should be able to be seen by more than one unit at a time. A unit can only see on meter at a time, though.

R3awak3n
05-30-2016, 10:48 AM
that is strange. So it works first but then stops working when you coast? Does the power number stay at 0 or the power field is blank?

fresh batteries?

MattTuck
05-30-2016, 10:56 AM
that is strange. So it works first but then stops working when you coast? Does the power number stay at 0 or the power field is blank?

fresh batteries?

Yes, I thought it was a battery issue, so I had them replaced.

It works at first, like... if I start off a ride with a climg for 20 minutes, it is all good, but coast for 5 seconds and its gone, never to return.

And yes, it is blank, power reads as --, not 0.

bjf
05-30-2016, 11:23 AM
How is the Garmin set? If it's something like 30 sec average, then it will go to -- when coasting.

MattTuck
05-30-2016, 11:59 AM
How is the Garmin set? If it's something like 30 sec average, then it will go to -- when coasting.

It is set to 3 second average.

And yes, I'd expect that when coasting. But after coasting, you'd expect it to then start displaying power data. It never does. It just remains "--" for the rest of the ride. If the coasting happens in the first 5 minutes of the ride, I get the first 5 minutes of power data, then nothing. If the coasting doesn't happen until 30 minutes into the ride, I get 30 minutes of power data, then nothing.

The issue isn't that it displays "--" when coasting, it is that it displays that even after the coasting stops.

spartanKid
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Have you tried a firmware update? Have you entered in the ANT+ ID in the garmin instead of having it just search for a new PM?

Also, do you have any other ANT+ devices paired to the Garmin too? If so, do they also have intermittent connections?

Peter P.
05-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Perhaps a friend has a Garmin you can pair YOUR Power Tap to? If the problem goes away, then obviously it's your Garmin that's the issue.

Conversely, try pairing YOUR Garmin with someone else's Power Tap.

Also, try changing the Averaging time period to see if the problem remains. Next step would be a global reset of the Garmin.

MattTuck
05-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Have you tried a firmware update? Have you entered in the ANT+ ID in the garmin instead of having it just search for a new PM?

Also, do you have any other ANT+ devices paired to the Garmin too? If so, do they also have intermittent connections?

Yes, I have a HRM and speed/cadence sensor. both work flawlessly. Have never had a problem with them. This is an Edge 705, I have not seen anywhere in the menus where the ANT+ ID would be entered.

And yes, I did the latest firmware update for the Garmin when this problem first occurred. I don't know how to do the firmware update on the wheel, but I'll look into it.

Oh, and another wrinkle. Today's ride, same thing happened. Had good data for about 10 minutes, then I accidentally coasted for a few seconds and it was gone. 2 hours into the ride, I stopped to refill water bottles at a store. After I started again, it picked it back up. The timer was running the whole time (I don't have auto-pause enabled)... but again, accidentally coasted and it was gone.

Perhaps a friend has a Garmin you can pair YOUR Power Tap to? If the problem goes away, then obviously it's your Garmin that's the issue.

Conversely, try pairing YOUR Garmin with someone else's Power Tap.

Also, try changing the Averaging time period to see if the problem remains. Next step would be a global reset of the Garmin.

Yep, hopefully can get another head unit tomorrow and try to isolate the problem. Good idea on the averaging time period. I'll look in that. THanks.

spartanKid
05-30-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't know how to do the firmware update on the wheel, but I'll look into it.

What you can do is remove the end cap where you would replace the battery, and there should be a mini-USB port on there. Connect it to your computer and find the various software from Saris/PowerTap.

djg21
05-30-2016, 05:12 PM
What you can do is remove the end cap where you would replace the battery, and there should be a mini-USB port on there. Connect it to your computer and find the various software from Saris/PowerTap.

This is only true of the G3 model, which is the current generation. You cannot update the firmware of the SL+. Have the batteries in the hub been changed recently? My old SL+ acted erratically when the batteries were weak.

Tandem Rider
05-31-2016, 05:21 AM
On mine, the watt number will be -- if I coast when it is set for 3s averaging, returns to the reading shortly after resuming pedaling. When set to no average, the reading is 0 when I coast. Mine has always been this way and a battery change is all I ever had to do for it.

Have you tried hub batteries yet?

spartanKid
05-31-2016, 02:26 PM
This is only true of the G3 model, which is the current generation. You cannot update the firmware of the SL+. Have the batteries in the hub been changed recently? My old SL+ acted erratically when the batteries were weak.

Ah right. I forgot I have an SL+ hub with a G3 end cap. Carry on!

OldCrank
05-31-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm a PowerTap noob.

The support folks in Madison (Saris) were great when I was setting up my set, email turnaround was almost instantaneous.

support@powertap.com

They do seem to chew through batteries quickly...

Good luck!

MattTuck
05-31-2016, 08:24 PM
So, after doing a firmware update on the Garmin and trying to trouble shoot this thing, the Garmin just wouldn't turn on today.

Just hung on the boot up screen. Tried resetting it, same thing.

Seems that it may just be my Garmin's time...