PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPod's S*ck

ti_boi
06-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Got one for free and loaded up with music....changed PCs recently....music 'appeared' on the new PC and then for some reason disapeared....I sincerely think that Apple is 2nd rate with their support. They package the turds they sell in pretty boxes.....

bostondrunk
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Is the music still on your ipod?
How did you move the music to your new computer? Ipod's aren't meant to share their music with multiple computers and ipods, although I believe there are ways around this.
I have the ipod mini and it works great.

BoulderGeek
06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I concur with BostonDrunk.

I've had three iPods of varying generations. I think that they are magnificent achievements of form and function. But, as a disclaimer, I've been drinking the Steve Kool Aid since 1985, and am a huge devotee of NeXT and OS X.

If you do a google search for "ipod music extract" you should be able to find all of the resources that you need.

The iPod is not to blame for a lack of networking or operating system savvy. The PC is pretty much crap (I assert, as a 20-year systems support person with certifications in several operating systems and networking methodologies). Any particular level of usefelness is incumbent on a sufficiently knowledgable user to make that happen.

I share music between 5 machines with four different operating systems, and several iPods. But, I have a ubiquitous network and properly shared network resources. It can be done, and without too much strain and misery.

Of course, for a more seamless ease of use, ditch Windows and use OS X. Once you unlearn all of the poorly implemented Microsoft kruft, your digital life may be far more enjoyable. Given the choice, you wouldn't ride a Huffy instead of an Ottrott, would you? :D

It appears to me that your issue is not with the iPod, per se, but with your operating system, data transfer experience, and iTunes on Windows.

This message entered on OpenSUSE 10.1.

Jiwa Jiwa
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
operator error sucks too.

since you're on a pc, i can't help too much but echo the point that there are many many ways to hack into the playlists and share music off your ipod with a computer (though it *is* a hack and not intended to work that way. artist roylaties blah blah blah.)

http://www.ipodaccess.com/

EDIT: there is a version for windows.

swoop
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
when you hook an ipod up to a new computer it will display the ipod sing list. you can't transfer the contents of the ipod onto that computer unless you saved the songs as files (which means you are using the ipod as a back up device).

everytime the phone rings i pick up my shoes and put it to my ear and it doesn't work. nike sucks. oh, the doorbell is ringing, i better lick the wall to get it to stop.

yeehawfactor
06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
you actually can extract the music from your ipod without doing anything special. there are several programs for doing this, i'll post their names when i get home and remember their names!

ti_boi
06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
when you hook an ipod up to a new computer it will display the ipod sing list. you can't transfer the contents of the ipod onto that computer unless you saved the songs as files (which means you are using the ipod as a back up device).

everytime the phone rings i pick up my shoes and put it to my ear and it doesn't work. nike sucks. oh, the doorbell is ringing, i better lick the wall to get it to stop.

Yeah...this is what happened....they suck...form/function....yeah, keep drinking Mies --

ti_boi
06-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Apple made all 207 files available and able to be downloaded....after I sent them a terse little missive.....I do appreciate their support and the chance to vent here....but they handled things....carry on :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Apple made all 207 files available and able to be downloaded....after I sent them a terse little missive.....I do appreciate their support and the chance to vent here....but they handled things....carry on :rolleyes:

take this opportunity to burn the songs you've purchased to an audio cd(s).
That way, not only can you play them on a cd player, but if your digital
files go missing, you can always import them back on to your computer.

g

ti_boi
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
i did that with a few of the purchases.....but what threw me was watching the files evaporate from the iPod...... :crap: I feel better now...... :banana:

Grant McLean
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
keep this link handy:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/

g

Roy E. Munson
06-26-2006, 06:58 PM
My Ipod is strictly a storage device so I can take my music with me. I've actually never burned a song in my life. Every song on my Ipod lives in my CD collection as well.

Grant McLean
06-26-2006, 07:07 PM
My Ipod is strictly a storage device so I can take my music with me. I've actually never burned a song in my life. Every song on my Ipod lives in my CD collection as well.

I think that's one reason why the iPod/iTunes is so popular, because it works for
people however they want to use it. Rip all your cd's to go. Take news podcasts
for the car. Download a new single. Stream internet radio to your home stereo.
With all three parts to the package, you can use the music store, or iTunes,
or the iPod in any combination you want, or not at all. I know lots of people
who've never bought a song, and others who buy songs and don't use an iPod.
It's all good.

g

manet
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
oh, the doorbell is ringing, i better lick the wall to get it to stop.

"And the Tourette Syndrome crowd embraced me based on one story that I wrote," said Sedaris, referring to "A Plague of Tics," which recounts compulsions such as licking light switches and pressing his nose against the car windshield that afflicted him as a child.

Grant McLean
06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
"And the Tourette Syndrome crowd embraced me based on one story that I wrote," said Sedaris, referring to "A Plague of Tics," which recounts compulsions such as licking light switches and pressing his nose against the car windshield that afflicted him as a child.

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/lists/sedaris/

g

Serpico
06-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Sedaris :beer:

(Amy too!)