PDA

View Full Version : Help With Frame Decision

97CSI
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Have two frames, both with 54cm seat-tubes. One has a 54.5cm top-tube and the other a 55.5cm top-tube. All else being equal, which should I select for climbing? And, why? Thanks.

atmo
06-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Have two frames, both with 54cm seat-tubes. One has a 54.5cm top-tube and the other a 55.5cm top-tube. All else being equal, which should I select for climbing? And, why? Thanks.

climbing?
on the jersey shore!
i am intrigued atmo.

cpg
06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Given all of this information, our chances of guessing the frames' colors would be greater than answering your question.

Curt

nicrump
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
i say go with the 55.5. if you are in the same position over the cranks, you stand a better chance of beating the guy next to you since your front projection might be further out.

Needs Help
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
The lighter one.

Sandy
06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Those in the know need a great deal more info on the bike than you have given. Do you have the geometry specifications for the frames? One particular dimension is basically useless. I would think that even with all that info, an easy answer could not be made. There are so many dynamics working simultaneously that are involved. Your positioning on the bike, among others, would be very important.

Sandy

Sandy
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
The lighter one.

Not really.

Sandy

97CSI
06-26-2006, 11:43 AM
climbing?
on the jersey shore!
i am intrigued atmo.C'mon. We have bridges. Just like in FL. And I want to be the first over the top. Or, at least the first on a lugged steel frame (no one else in club rides lugged steel these days - only those funky new designs).

Hmmm....always thought there was a 'pat' answer to this, given that 'all else is equal'. Sounds from these few answers that I can take my pick. Then the red Lemond (from the era where he owned the company name) will get a carbon fork w/CK headset and become the 'climbing' bike. 50 times back-and-forth of over the Longport bridge every week and I'll be heading to CO.

Actually, we are moving to Media, PA next month (a move to maintain marital bliss :rolleyes: ). Lots of hills over that way.

atmo
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Actually, we are moving to Media, PA next month (a move to maintain marital bliss :rolleyes: ). Lots of hills over that way.
all things being equal, i would choose the marital bliss atmo.

sspielman
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Is the alternative Blue Ball, PA?

atmo
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Is the alternative Blue Ball, PA?
don't start -
the state just to my north has a few choice towns atmo.
this thread could devolve swiftly!

Ray
06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
C'mon. We have bridges. Just like in FL. And I want to be the first over the top.

Oh yeah, we got hills around here that no amount of bridge riding will ever prepare you for. I hope you like it - I'm not fast at any of it, but I'd much rather spend the day going up and down and winding around curvy stuff than going long, flat, and straight like out at the 'shure'. Keeps it fun and interesting and a variable level of effort is way easier to feel good at than the consistent, unchanging effort you get riding nothing but flats.

Welcome,

-Ray

djg
06-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Definitely. Select the one for climbing that you usually climb better on. Why? Because that's the one that works for you when you're climbing.

For climbing, all things equal, lighter is better. For climbing, all things equal, red ... no, blue. Is everything else really equal? The best top tube is the one on the bike that fits and suits you best.

97CSI
06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Ray - Actually, I've been a member of the DVBC for many years. We moved 'down the shore' before grand-kids. Now we must go back to be near them.

Once, again, I must offer my humble thanks for all the enlightening responses. Things to take into account that I have never given any thought to.

Now, please........let the devolving begin. May the best devolver win!

BoulderGeek
06-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I ride in Colorado now. But, I grew up riding with the Red Rose Cycling Club, and taking scenic tours of the Lancaster County (PA) countryside.

So, yes, I'll say what atmo knew someone would: in addition to Blue Ball, I know Bird in Hand, Intercourse and Paradise, too!

Lots of rolling hills to keep one entertained between all of those well-known stops.

davids
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
don't start -
the state just to my north has a few choice towns atmo.
this thread could devolve swiftly!
Ware?

vaxn8r
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
The one that you can use a longer stem...

Seriously, I'd rather lengthen the stem (withing reason) than have one too short, especially if you plan on riding out of the saddle. Longer stem feels better, more leverage out of the saddle and the bike handles better.

Are the other dimensions exactly equal? It probably doesn't matter a whole lot as there is a range of sizes that can work well for any one rider.

atmo
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Ware?
start with the A's atmo.

manet
06-26-2006, 01:07 PM
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/US/25/a/A/

davids
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Of course, 01007 and 01031 are sorta funny too. Even 01026, maybe.

Fat Robert
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
climbing more hills will help you climb better

as will cutting out dessert

buy the frame whose color is nearest to red on one of those art-class color wheel things