PDA

View Full Version : 10 Speed Campy Shifter Issue

AJM100
05-29-2016, 11:58 AM
The right shifter on a set of 10 speed veloce shifters works however the alloy lever has more resistance than I have felt from any campy I have ridden. Each click shifts, but it is a bear to push, especially for multiple shifts. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks.

Cicli
05-29-2016, 11:59 AM
The right shifter on a set of 10 speed veloce shifters works however the alloy lever has more resistance than I have felt from any campy I have ridden. Each click shifts, but it is a bear to push, especially for multiple shifts. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks.

Cable? Loosen it from the derailuer or frame stop and see if it is the lever or cable.

carpediemracing
05-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Your description screams cable problem.

If it's a new set up then maybe your housing wasn't cut cleanly and is dragging on the cable. Also if you put a thicker cable into a thinner housing it'll be super bindy, like if you swapped cables because you cut it short or something.

Put the derailleur in the big cog. Then, without pedaling, shift into the small cog. You should be able to unhook the housing at the rear. See if the last section of derailleur/cable moves easily. If it does then the cable/housing is okay there.

Check under BB for fraying. If it's okay then you move forward.

Unhook the housing up front. Shift the shifter while pulling on the cable. I'm guessing that at this point you'll feel a lot of friction, i.e. when you push the thumb button to let out cable it it doesn't feed out easily, and it'll be just as hard to pull the cable in as it is when the derailleur is under tension. If this is the case then you have either something wrong with the housing, the liner, or the cable. It could be routing, a bad cut on the housing, frayed wire on the cable, wrong or missing liner. If new it'll most likely be a parts/installation thing - wrong cable, wrong housing, wrong liner, cut wrong, wrong routing.

If not new then I'm guessing the cable frayed either as it enters the lever body (but you'd see it if you looked inside the lever) or just after it - this is what I usually see. However I've seen cable fray at other random points.

To re-hook housing just push derailleur to under big cog with one hand, make sure the shifter is all the way out (thumb button pushed all stops), cable is pulled out from handlebar area, hook up housing.

It might be something else but I haven't seen anything else go wrong with a Campy set up, except the shifter internals getting worn out.

AJM100
05-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much for the guidance. Yup, no cable ferrel installed. Checked housing, installed ferrel and re-cabled . . . all good now. Gotta luv the knowledge of this forum . . . again thanks. :banana: