PDA

View Full Version : Basic heart monitor?

HenryA
05-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Who makes a good basic heart rate monitor? I don't need lots of features, just the basics - heart rate and maybe upper and lower alarms. I want it to be reliable and inexpensive.

bigbill
05-29-2016, 10:08 AM
If you want to use a phone app, Scosche makes a transmitter that you can wear on your arm that transmits in Bluetooth and ANT+. There are some great apps that have the features you want.

HenryA
05-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that, but I was thinking of a simple stand-alone device.

Louis
05-29-2016, 03:59 PM
My simple Polar has been super-reliable and the transmitter battery has lasted for a long, long time.

rnhood
05-29-2016, 04:40 PM
The standard Mio Link is pretty simple, reasonably accurate and reliable as judged from reviews, and has an LED that changes color to indicate your heart rate zones (as programmed by the user). If you are also using a Garmin GPS then it communicates with it via Ant+ so that the Garmin indicates your heart rate (just like the standard heart rate strap). They run about $80 on Amazon or from the manufacturer.

Shoeman
05-29-2016, 08:44 PM
My simple Polar has been super-reliable and the transmitter battery has lasted for a long, long time.

What He Said!!!!!!!!!!!!

HenryA
05-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Looking at Polars site, you'd think they don't make a simple monitor. I've looked further now and I'm finding some. Don't know if they're discontinued or not, but I'm seeing some well,under $100 that might work for me. Could y'all give models in particular that fit the basic or simple category and that you are pleased with?

Louis
05-29-2016, 10:18 PM
I would buy the least expensive Polar model that met your needs / desires. That will also presumably be the simplest one.
(unless you feel even the simplest Polar is too complicated and too expensive, in which case, you may want to look elsewhere)

However, since manufacturers tend to make things more and more complicated as time goes on, I'm guessing that there aren't as many "basic" HRMs today as there were over 10 years ago when I got mine.

regularguy412
05-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Check these out at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Black/dp/B003HT88JQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=heart%20rate%20monitor%20strap&qid=1464578428&ref_=sr_1_17&sr=8-17

http://www.amazon.com/Cardiosport-Monitor-Stretch-Fabric-Transmitter/dp/B000O76D8W/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1464585418&sr=1-2&keywords=cardiosport

And free shipping on the polar,,or so it says. I've used a similar cardiosport and it worked just fine.

Mike in AR:beer:

(not affiliated with amazon, cardiosport or polar in any way, but I've used several Polar devices in the last 25 years)

HenryA
05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks all.

I've had several Polars years back and they worked well. But I've not ridden with any electronics now for quite a while. I look at the clock when I leave and maybe note the time when I return. I don't need to know more and don't want to know more.

But, I'm thinking I need to work on my fitness a bit and think I need some structure from watching my heart rate zones while riding - keeping in the right zones. I have some pretty mild goals to ride a bit better and gain some fitness, maybe get back to that feeling of rightness that comes from being reasonably fit.

Anyway, the reason I asked for "basic" is I want no more tech intrusion in my riding than I have to have.

soulspinner
05-30-2016, 09:57 AM
What He Said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya I wore out my strap but otherwise its been multi years no issues.

OtayBW
05-30-2016, 11:24 AM
But, I'm thinking I need to work on my fitness a bit and think I need some structure from watching my heart rate zones while riding - keeping in the right zones.If this is your goal, my suggestion would be to go hog wild and get the HRM with a modest cycle computer. This way, you could could better track your improvement - not just with HR in a vacuum, but with speed and HR per distance traveled, etc. That's still a pretty modest intrusion, IMO, and one that I think accomplishes your needs well.

bcroslin
05-30-2016, 01:59 PM
I've got a like new Scosche available if you're interested. $50

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=187228