PDA

View Full Version : Recumbent trike...

SoCalSteve
05-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

Never paid too much attention to " bents ", but on a bike ride yesterday I saw a recumbent trike ( with the 2 wheels in the front and one in the rear ). The guy riding it was hauling butt and it handled like a go cart, seriously looked like fun!

Anyone ever ridden one of these? Thoughts, opinions and flames welcomed.

Steve

Cicli
05-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

Never paid too much attention to " bents ", but on a bike ride yesterday I saw a recumbent trike ( with the 2 wheels in the front and one in the rear ). The guy riding it was hauling butt and it handled like a go cart, seriously looked like fun!

Steve

I rode one down from Big Bear Ca. It was like a gocart. Went downhill awesome. Uphill? Not so much.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2016, 06:50 PM
I rode one down from Big Bear Ca. It was like a gocart. Went downhill awesome. Uphill? Not so much.

There was a tailwind. Probably helped...:bike:

eddief
05-28-2016, 06:51 PM
use different muscles than normal bike, but those are good muscles too. climbing a bitch to learn, but ya spin and you go, other sorts of fun and challenge to be had. trikes are killing it in the bent world.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2016, 07:01 PM
use different muscles than normal bike, but those are good muscles too. climbing a bitch to learn, but ya spin and you go, other sorts of fun and challenge to be had. trikes are killing it in the bent world.

I can see why. Thing was on rails!!! Looked really fun! But, I bet they are horrible to transport, store, etc. . Now that I no long have my house, have to take all that into consideration....:crap:

dustyrider
05-28-2016, 07:38 PM
I test rode a few of these awhile back. Couple things I didn't like were rear wheel flex with some models, the boom slamming into the asphalt when braking suddenly, controls seemed to get in the way when turning(I didn't really spend the time to set them up) and the fact you're lying flat on your back next to moving vehicles that have no idea you're there is extremely frightening.
Glad I can ride upright!

firerescuefin
05-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Brother in law has one exactly like shown...Not a cycling replacement IMO....but so much fun. I liked it a lot.

EPOJoe
05-28-2016, 07:47 PM
I have a Trice Q-26 which is similar to the Vortex you posted. Yeah, they're lots of fun, especially downhill. I had ridden road bikes for around fifteen years when I got a little bored and ventured into recumbents. Spent a few years just on recumbents and now I'm back to mostly road bikes, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. They do use different muscle groups than an upright, and even when you get your "bent legs" I find that the trikes tend to require more wattage to travel as far and as fast as a two wheeler, but it's hard to beat the fun quotient with these things. Here's a video I made back when I first picked up my Q-26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhxNMX6VavM

CampyorBust
05-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I have experience with three bent tadpole trikes and they are sooo much fun. I promised to do an in-depth review comparing a regular road bike to recumbent trike. Never got around to it and not too crazy about posting pics of my bikes online. Anyways some thoughts…

They are so much fun and can really move, just not up hill (but if you have the legs you can certainly make a valiant effort). The best part is the childlike grin they put on the rider and everyone they come in contact with.

I like to play leap frog with regular Freds on the bent trike. It is rare that we are heading in the same direction but it has happened a few times and the glory of my conquest was epic. I smoke them on the down hills, up hills not so much. If I am really going for it, yeah I can hold them off but only just and these are usually mediocre riders on bike boom ten speeds or a Fred on a Madone (which is a worthy sacrifice if you ask me). Of course if I come across a serious roadie I get spanked.:(

There is no comparing a modern carbon bike to a trike. I have tried to match my times on my carbon bike 15.8lbs with the Catrike 700 and while it’s a respectable result its not even close. Basically any hill in the way is a major hindrance, not a insurmountable but you are not setting any records or keeping up with your roadie buddies that’s for sure. On the flats you can hold lower to mid 20s no problemo.

Can a recumbent trike replace a traditional road bike for an average road bike enthusiast who still likes traditional road frames? NO it can’t.

Can it be an excellent candidate for N+1? Heck yeah!

If you have some sort of physical disability, aversion to real bikes, or are just reaching that point in you life where riding a regular road bike causes more fatigue than pleasure then yes these are worth a serious look. You feel like a fighter pilot, I have no idea what that feels like but I image its pretty awesome. You have to lean into the turns and you have to joy sticks to steer with. It only takes a little imagination and you got lazer beams on that bad@$$ and pew pew pew…

Road safety - with a blinky and flag on the back the amount of room cars give you is noticeably more than with regular bikes. The amount of considerations drivers give you is much more that with a traditional bike. Plus you can take the whole lane and they will think thrice about giving you lip, but you must have a flag. Maybe we should all start riding with flags… perhaps just tassles for the aero folks?

Flipping – yes you can flip them, I don’t recommend it. Just don’t be a moron trying show off in front of soccer moms on a basketball court trying to see how fast you can corner on that super smooth pavement. You will end up bleeding and being laughed at, don’t ask how I know this.:crap:

Transportation – The Ice Vortex you have pictured is foldable (I think), as well as most of the Ice Trikes. The Catrikes are not foldable, maybe the new Road model. NO issues fitting any of them into a small hatch or any SUV. You can also throw it on the roof along with a few nice custom options out there.

Wheelsize – it always makes a difference doesn’t it? Trikes are no exception. The smaller real wheels climb better, the larger wheels are faster on flats and descents.

Material – no news around here but steel is real baby! Ice – steel, Catrike – aluminum.

Steering – Direct vs Indirect – I have limited experience with indirect steering and that was with a entry level Sun trike. IMO its no comparison, I like Catrikes direct steering the responsive feel and small turning radius. However the Ice trikes are indirect as well and apparently are rather nice. Check the Bent forums for more info, but this is certainly an area of discussion worthy of a look see.

Seat angle – This makes a big diference. I for one find myself more fatigued in the more reclined position of the 700. The Vortex I think has an adjustable seat.

Gearing – There are no out of the saddle efforts so you want to be able to spin. From what I have seen of the 700 and Vortex they have some no nonsense gears on those things – 2x10. I have a 3x setup on the 700 and I like it fine, I even went down from a 26 tooth granny to a 24, no regrets.

Ice trikes are more expensive and are considered more exclusive than Catrikes (by some) and good luck finding a used one.Then you have the uber exotic custom carbon options and then thing really get out of hand. Catrikes can be found for a decent price used and are really nice, and I say this as a foaming at the mouth aluminum naysayer, still these are nice bike and ride very well. Got a Conti 4000Sii 28mm on the back and it is smoooooth!

A word about my 5 minutes on a regular recumbent…squirrelly.

Oh and hands up the best part of riding a recumbent trike…. Two handed wave.:banana:

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu78/jimnic1-photos/smilies/waving_zps034c2126.gif

oldpotatoe
05-29-2016, 05:54 AM
Hi all,

Steve

I toyed with a gent I know who couldn't ride an upright.

heavy, climbing is tough
somewhat difficult to see from and be seen on(low)
nothing in your jersey pocket
complicated, unique stuff, 3 chains..

kinda a $50 answer to a $10 question but if you can't ride an upright for some reason, it is a HPV..

Plum Hill
05-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Like a Big Wheel for...ahem...adults.
A good number of trikes are showing up on the local paved trails.
I always thought the most attention-getting flag would be an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini.