PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 9 speed triple question

rwsaunders
05-28-2016, 02:19 PM
My one riding bud has a Shimano 9 speed triple setup with a Gossamer crank and external bb bearings....I guess that Specialized saved money on the crank. It's time to replace the rings on the crank as they are pretty worn and I suggested that he just upgrade to a Shimano crank.

Is a Shimano 10 speed crank compatible with a 9 speed chain? I ask as it seems to make sense to purchase a newer version of the Shimano cranks with the external bb. Thanks

bikinchris
05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
It SHOULD work, if the chainstays are long enough and you use a 10 speed chain. But if it doesn't, you can space one of the rings out a tiny bit.

05-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Yes. it is.

But if you have a 9-speed setup, you can usually get 9 speed triples pretty inexpensively on eBay. The triple is an interesting configuration, as follows: It looks superficially like a track crank with only one shoulder on the outside to hold a chainring. But the middle ring is a custom one that bolts to the inside of the crank arm, albeit at a different place. And the small ring bolts to the middle ring.

To use it, you need a triple Octalink bottom bracket, which are also not hard to find (the double-ring Octalink bottom brackets are very rare and expensive). This will be a 118 mm triple bottom bracket for English threading. Get the Ultegra one rather than the Dura Ace one -- the Dura Ace is a beautiful design but requires very religious maintenance. The Ultegra is superb and has the added benefit of being completely indestructible.

There's no reason you can't get a 10-speed (it'll have to be a double rather than a triple ring). Be sure your frame wasn't made with right chain stay crimps to fit a triple only (I've seen that a few times) and that you can get a good chainline with a double. Both the 7800 and 7900 cranks are very nice cranksets, but they are both quite dark in color and not a match at all to the bright silver of 7700. That's where you may want to get that 7703 triple crankset.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2016, 03:52 PM
My one riding bud has a Shimano 9 speed triple setup with a Gossamer crank and external bb bearings....I guess that Specialized saved money on the crank. It's time to replace the rings on the crank as they are pretty worn and I suggested that he just upgrade to a Shimano crank.

Is a Shimano 10 speed crank compatible with a 9 speed chain? I ask as it seems to make sense to purchase a newer version of the Shimano cranks with the external bb. Thanks

Since the CRs are a little closer together on 10s, it'll work fine. Use a 9s chain. Since the Der is designed to move a little farther for 9s, easy to adjust for 10s rings. Start a little further inboard via limit screw.

Opposite not true sometimes, 10s front Ders/shifter don't travel as far per click and may not work with a 9s CR spacing/triple.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Yes. it is.

But if you have a 9-speed setup, you can usually get 9 speed triples pretty inexpensively on eBay. The triple is an interesting configuration, as follows: It looks superficially like a track crank with only one shoulder on the outside to hold a chainring. But the middle ring is a custom one that bolts to the inside of the crank arm, albeit at a different place. And the small ring bolts to the middle ring.

To use it, you need a triple Octalink bottom bracket, which are also not hard to find (the double-ring Octalink bottom brackets are very rare and expensive). This will be a 118 mm triple bottom bracket for English threading. Get the Ultegra one rather than the Dura Ace one -- the Dura Ace is a beautiful design but requires very religious maintenance. The Ultegra is superb and has the added benefit of being completely indestructible.

There's no reason you can't get a 10-speed (it'll have to be a double rather than a triple ring). Be sure your frame wasn't made with right chain stay crimps to fit a triple only (I've seen that a few times) and that you can get a good chainline with a double. Both the 7800 and 7900 cranks are very nice cranksets, but they are both quite dark in color and not a match at all to the bright silver of 7700. That's where you may want to get that 7703 triple crankset.

5500 109mm/5503 118mm, octalink BBs still made, easy to find. DA triple BB(118) was cart bearing like 6500/5500. 7700 for double(109mm) the needle bearing/wee ball bearing type and a pita.

The DA 7703 was the bizarre, small ring bolted to middle but 6500 was conventional 130/74mm triple. 6600 was ala 7700 if memory serves.

rwsaunders
05-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks folks!

Fatty
05-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Why not just make the jump to ten speed?
Nothing against 9 speed , run it myself.
But if the rings are gone, he'll need a new chain and most likely a cassette, maybe a bottom bracket to boot.
For a couple bucks more go all new and fresh. 10 speed Tiagra groups are dirt cheap on the e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-Shimano-Tiagra-4600-Triple-Road-Bike-Group-Set-Silver-fits-ultegra-105-/271373768190?hash=item3f2f2315fe:g:0r8AAOSw-7RVGwwQ

bobdenver1961
05-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Or you could get a brand new Tiagra with a compact crankset from Ribble for $278

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-double-groupset/

Ronsonic
05-28-2016, 08:42 PM
I'm running a 10s SLX crankset on an otherwise 9s setup with a 9s chain with almost no problem. It shifts fine and runs smoothly except my front der does not have enough low side adjustment range to run quietly on the inner ring. I'm blaming this on either the cheap Altus front der or my crank install and there should be another / thicker shim on the drive-side BB cup.

In any case it works very well and I'm confident that a better install / better front der will work perfectly.

djg21
05-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Why upgrade the crank? It's an old 9-speed bike. If the gossamer crank ain't broke, why bother. Your friend should replace the worn out rings and go ride his bike. He's not likely to know the difference between a Shimano crank and an FSA crank, and if you were blindfolded, you'd never know the difference either. Tell him to save his money and if he gets into riding, he might then consider a more modern bike.

commonguy001
05-28-2016, 09:52 PM
I have a really nice 7703 DA 9 speed triple if your buddy can use 175mm arms.