PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed...

OldDog
06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
I am loaning out long term a Spectrum ti I have to a buddy just starting out riding. He is very close to my size, height and weight wise, but has femurs the length of a gazelle.

With the post now on the bike (older american classic) I cannot get the seat (currently a regal) back far enough back to get a KOP (as a starting point). He is about 3 cm too far forward.

I posted a WTB to the classifieds this morning for a set back post, hoping I can get him back.

Question: He is a newbie with zero bike skills. Will I be creating a handling problem with a set back post? I have yet to address the stem length however eyeing him up as he now sits, he's a bit cramped. With the setback post, he may not need a longer stem (11 now on the bike, 53 st and 54.5 tt).

I am no fit expert and need to question the fore / aft weight distribution as it relates to handeling before I send him on his way.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

OD

djg
06-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I am loaning out long term a Spectrum ti I have to a buddy just starting out riding. He is very close to my size, height and weight wise, but has femurs the length of a gazelle.

With the post now on the bike (older american classic) I cannot get the seat (currently a regal) back far enough back to get a KOP (as a starting point). He is about 3 cm too far forward.

I posted a WTB to the classifieds this morning for a set back post, hoping I can get him back.

Question: He is a newbie with zero bike skills. Will I be creating a handling problem with a set back post? I have yet to address the stem length however eyeing him up as he now sits, he's a bit cramped. With the setback post, he may not need a longer stem (11 now on the bike, 53 st and 54.5 tt).

I am no fit expert and need to question the fore / aft weight distribution as it relates to handeling before I send him on his way.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

OD

I'd get a post that lets you put the saddle more-or-less where you think it should go and not worry too much about the rest for now. I assume that the newbie has ridden some sort of bicycle and doesn't need training wheels. If he's new to road bikes, coming from a mtb or a ... um, hybrid ..., then any road bike might feel a bit skittish at first. Start him out someplace without much traffic, let him rack up a few miles, and he'll get used to it. Consider slightly wider tires for starters, if there's room. If he has comfort problems on the bike, then try to address them as they surface.

As for seatposts: if you can find a deal on a Look ergopost, you'll get more setback in the rear position, and more fore-aft adjustability, than on just about anything else.

SoCalSteve
06-26-2006, 09:39 AM
FSA makes very nice and fully adjustable seatposts. They come in carbon and aluminum. The aluminum one being pretty inexpensive.

Good luck,

Steve

NateM
06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I have a Helbent setback post in a 27.2mm,350mm. It is probably the only post that will move him back 3cm from where you are now.I used it on an old project bike and would be willing to loan it to you until you are done with your loan.Word of caution...its got a funny bend,ugly,black,but strong.Ask William.Let me know.NateMerrill

keno
06-26-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails.php?idProdotti=48&idProd1=2

BTW, Albert Bold would be very reluctant to make a seatpost with 50mm setback and won't guarantee it. He said that.

keno

OldDog
06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys. Nate, I will keep you in mind, thank you very much. Keno, I have seen these but availability may be a problem. Keep you informed. DJG, yeah my buddy is a newbie, 45 years old and not on a bike in ions. My question is directed at possable handling problems due to the slight weight shift. We live in hilly terrain with steep fast decents. I doubt anything would happen, but never hurts to get the opinion of the pals here. Then there is the fact his wife would kill me if I brought him home in pieces...

djg
06-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys. Nate, I will keep you in mind, thank you very much. Keno, I have seen these but availability may be a problem. Keep you informed. DJG, yeah my buddy is a newbie, 45 years old and not on a bike in ions. My question is directed at possable handling problems due to the slight weight shift. We live in hilly terrain with steep fast decents. I doubt anything would happen, but never hurts to get the opinion of the pals here. Then there is the fact his wife would kill me if I brought him home in pieces...

I understand. FWIW, lots of pros use setback posts and then slam their seats back about as far as they'll go on those posts. They handle their bikes just fine. I don't want to sell myself as any kind of setup expert, but, personally, I wouldn't worry too much that moving him back just a bit will make things at all unstable. It seems to me that the more basic issue is finding a way for him to get some miles in his legs--and some turns under his belt--before you take him on any screaming mountain descents. I'd raise the same point no matter who set him up on the bike--the best balanced ride in the world still requires handling skills if things get fast and twisty.

Good luck with the project. Don't bring him home in pieces. If he's salvageable, call an ambulance. If not, just keep riding.

Kevan
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
a Ti Spectrum?!

Livin' large. ;)

OldDog
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
a Ti Spectrum?!

Livin' large. ;)

OK, an 11 year old Ti Spectrum. With Grease Guard yet. Hey, I'm grooming the boy right. I could have set him up on an old Schwinn Circut, but if your going to introduce someone to riding, get them on a great bike to begin with.
Besides, I may be cultivating a buyer, as I'm still jones'n for a Legend.

rePhil
06-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I just parted (literally) with my Circuit. It was a 1988, on it's 3rd paintjob. It was a very nice riding frame. If it fit your friend I would have no reservations about setting it up for him.