PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber pannier rack on Kickstarter

Veloo
05-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Tailfin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tailfin/tailfin-ultra-light-carbon-bike-rack-and-panniers?ref=1.jellop-ads.com&utm_source=jellop&utm_medium=facebook&utm_term=1.jellop-ads.com&utm_campaign=CB&utm_content=Tailfin-CB3

CSKeller
05-28-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks for posting. That looks like a great pannier system that can work with most of today's high performance bikes.

I may have to consider this! I like it a lot better than anything else I've seen and the mounting system is clean, easy and elegant without need for special rack/fender eyelets.

oldfatslow
05-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Interesting. I wonder how it rides loaded. It's essentially the Bob Trailer mount concept but used for pannier rack instead of as a hitch for a trailer. I'm sure the carbon rack is stiff but curious about how it would feel if it isn't torqued down to the bike on which it's installed.

For light loads (a change of clothes and tioletries for the office) it might be great. I can't imagine it would be stiff enough for a heavy load.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks for posting. That looks like a great pannier system that can work with most of today's high performance bikes.

I may have to consider this! I like it a lot better than anything else I've seen and the mounting system is clean, easy and elegant without need for special rack/fender eyelets.

QR for the seatpost? I would worry about it getting stolen.

54ny77
05-28-2016, 06:45 AM
that is really, really cool.

thanks for the link. :beer:

tuxbailey
05-28-2016, 06:51 AM
QR for the seatpost? I would worry about it getting stolen.

Yeah. Maybe take it off along with the panniers to office/hotel?

Edit: If you scroll down, it mentioned that it is lockable with a screw.

bobswire
05-28-2016, 08:15 AM
That's a neat rack, I may have to get a CF frame just to use one of those racks.;)

jds108
05-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Crap, just when I thought I didn't need any other cycling gear.

Ordered.

donevwil
05-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Rack and bags for less than a Ti Tubus, worth supporting I think.

ultraman6970
05-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Super cool product.

cadence90
05-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes, it looks like a great, super clean design. Very nice.

I wonder if the panniers have handles, to carry like a briefcase?

ceolwulf
05-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I really like it but I don't need that kind of race level tech in a rack. Surely they'll come up with an aluminum one next. That I would purchase immediately.

marciero
05-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Why??
The irony is that the bikes they seem to be targetting- higher-performance race-specific bikes-are the machines whose handling would suffer the most from rear loading.
If you insist on commuting or bike packing on your race machine I think that there are a range of options better suited and even lighter. You could start with a Revelate or similar saddle bag.

donevwil
05-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Why??
The irony is that the bikes they seem to be targetting- higher-performance race-specific bikes-are the machines whose handling would suffer the most from rear loading.
If you insist on commuting or bike packing on your race machine I think that there are a range of options better suited and even lighter. You could start with a Revelate or similar saddle bag.

Fully loaded I agree, but I know a lot of people who simply don't have the n+1 with more touring geo yet do a lot of touring. I signed up because my wife is doing a tour at the end of the year and has only her Hampsten GPTi and a 32lb commuter to choose from. This rack would enable her to ride her Hampsten and isn't much more than a nice Tubus.

I was wondering what tire clearance is. Certainly doesn't look like there's clearance for more than a 32 at best and certainly not fenders.

gdw
05-28-2016, 05:46 PM
It looks like a pretty good setup for commuting or light touring.

tuscanyswe
05-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Fully loaded I agree, but I know a lot of people who simply don't have the n+1 with more touring geo yet do a lot of touring. I signed up because my wife is doing a tour at the end of the year and has only her Hampsten GPTi and a 32lb commuter to choose from. This rack would enable her to ride her Hampsten and isn't much more than a nice Tubus.

I was wondering what tire clearance is. Certainly doesn't look like there's clearance for more than a 32 at best and certainly not fenders.

said 35 somewhere on there

donevwil
05-28-2016, 06:36 PM
said 35 somewhere on there

Thank you, I just went back to the webpage:

"Tailfin is compatible with almost all road, hybrid and cyclocross bikes with tyre sizes up to 700Cx35. If your tyre is wider then please message us."

rnhood
05-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Sorta neat, and unique, but I really don't see any advantage over other lightweight racks such as Bontrager's "Backrack Lightweight". In fact the metal construction and attachment means on the Bontrager lead me to think its far more robust. Yea, the Bontrager weighs more at 465g but by the time its all up and ready to roll the roughly 200g savings on the Tailfin is all but meaningless.

Thank you very much, but I'll stick with the tried and true.

marciero
05-28-2016, 07:27 PM

Fair enough. Speaking of which, the Tubus would be another option, esp. the ti version for that bike.

donevwil
05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Fair enough. Speaking of which, the Tubus would be another option, esp. the ti version for that bike.

That's exactly where I was headed (Ti Airy) until I saw the Kickstarter.

cadence90
05-28-2016, 07:46 PM

From the Kickstarter page:
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/316a8fb5edcb67d54c48e733dd392555_original_zpsx0utu z8b.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/316a8fb5edcb67d54c48e733dd392555_original_zpsx0utu z8b.jpg.html)

BobbyJones
05-28-2016, 08:10 PM
That's exactly where I was headed (Ti Airy) until I saw the Kickstarter.

Sounds like you really want this, but as an FYI I've been running a Tubus Fly / QR adapter and arkel Drylite panniers. I don't have the exact weights, but sub 1kg, around $200 all in, more versatile and available right now.

Been rock solid for over a year and works very well on my small sized ti frame.

Why??
...If you insist on commuting or bike packing on your race machine I think that there are a range of options better suited and even lighter. You could start with a Revelate or similar saddle bag.

If you've ever used a Relveate or similar you'll know it's not the same thing as a rack and panniers. The saddlebags have a narrow range of use depending on what you're putting in them.

seric
05-29-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm curious what the retail price will be. After being burned on a few of the 104 campaigns I've backed, I now attempt to be work the savings over retail into the opportunity cost assessment in backing a campaign. This campaign will certainly succeed at this point. The wise dollar might wait to purchase after the campaign once any manufacturing or design issues are identified.

Joxster
05-30-2016, 05:37 AM
Why do we need a carbon fibre rack?

oldpotatoe
05-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Why do we need a carbon fibre rack?

Cuz it's.....carbon. That's why..what's wrong with you?

Joxster
05-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Cuz it's.....carbon. That's why..what's wrong with you?

I don't like carbon, there I said it. It's to flexy

unterhausen
05-30-2016, 06:32 AM
I think bikepacking gear is a lot better answer for touring. I just carry a bag over my shoulder when I'm going to work. Cool idea thought

marciero
05-30-2016, 07:03 AM
If you've ever used a Relveate or similar you'll know it's not the same thing as a rack and panniers. The saddlebags have a narrow range of use depending on what you're putting in them.

Was suggesting Revelate as one of a range of options. Those have surprisingly large capacity, and put the load in a better place. I have used a range of saddle bags and panniers. I would say that the panniers are only more versatile in that they have a larger carrying capacity. I have put a laptop in my Carradice saddle bag. That bag has as much capacity as you would need for commuting or most credit card touring. Of course, it's not carbon, and has a stodgy British look.
My large Ortlieb saddle bag, which is quite small in comparison, is my choice for commuting on the "fast" bike. You can stuffed a surprising amount of clothes, papers, etc.

As far as the Tubus goes, you then also have the option of strapping things to the top of the rack, like shoes. The tubus would be a better match for a ti frame I think.

donevwil
07-31-2017, 04:04 PM
I just (finally?) received my Tailfin rack, anyone else get one?

My needs have shifted a bit, as things tend to do in fourteen months, but I'm eager to mount it up and give it a try.

weiwentg
07-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Why??

Lived in DC with the wifey for a while. We could afford a nice, spacious 1 bedroom apartment, but storage for a small fleet of bikes for me alone would have been very inconvenient - she's not a serious cyclist, and she would not have liked multiple racked bikes in there. So, this is probably going to appeal a lot to young, urban professionals who can do a short bike commute with just work clothes packed, and maybe lunch, plus who have some sort of indoor bike parking at work where they can store a lock there. The sort of people who I have in mind won't have a load that's heavy enough to render their handling unacceptable.

In a smaller 1-bedroom in the Twin Cities, I have one built roadie in the storage closet, and my CX/commuter and her bike live on a bike rack in the garage. Each parking stall gets 1 rack. So, right now, I'm not in a position where I will need it or want it, and I guess I agree this won't end up being a huge market, but what the heck. I hope it works out!

My concern when seeing this was whether the panniers were clamping to a carbon structure. I will trust carbon for many things, but not where it might get abraded, e.g. by a clamp - my panniers have worn the finish off my steel tubed-rack in a couple spots. Looks like their panniers are not clamping directly to a carbon structure. So, the last point of long-term concern would be where the carbon fork bonds to the alloy seat post clamp - is that going to hold up over time? I bet Calfee or someone could fix that, but a) would it be worse the price, and b) if it fails mid-ride, is there a risk of injuring the rider, anybody nearby, or damaging the bike or anything nearby?

kookmyers
07-31-2017, 05:09 PM
I just (finally?) received my Tailfin rack, anyone else get one?

My needs have shifted a bit, as things tend to do in fourteen months, but I'm eager to mount it up and give it a try.

Did you get their bag as well? I am interested in hearing about how you like it. Since your needs have changed, consider me first in line to buy yours. ;)

donevwil
08-01-2017, 02:30 AM
Did you get their bag as well? I am interested in hearing about how you like it. Since your needs have changed, consider me first in line to buy yours. ;)

I did get two bags. I'm going to fit it to my Potts in hopes that it will indeed clear a large 32mm tire. That said, both my wife and I have acquired big tire/fendered/racked bikes that will likely make this rack superfluous. I'll let you know.

benb
08-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Anyone actually ride this yet and have a report?

Definitely a neat concept but I'd still be worried about the handling and the 1000g difference they're talking about seems relatively meaningless once you actually fill the bags, assuming the bags hold much. I wonder if they can hold a 15" MacBook pro + lunch, pair of shoes, clothes, etc..

If they can't hold that I'm not sure what kind of "tour" they're targeting.

donevwil
01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
I finally took the opportunity to try out the Tailfin. It was actually a situation perfectly suited to the system's convenience, a local frame builder and his wife hosted a potluck so my wife and I considered it appropriate to ride over on our bike's that he'd built, i.e. not my BMC MonsterX already set up with racks.

From in the box to on the bike in about 5 minutes, no kidding. Rode 3 whole miles with ~5 lbs of risotto, a growler of beer and a bottle of grappa. Very rigid system and easy to secure and remove their bags. Yes, the fender is more novelty than functional fender, but whatever. I was concerned with bag to heel clearance since the bag mounts are not adjustable, but they cleared fine (size 50 shoes, 180 cranks and 425mm chainstays). Tires are 28 GP 4000s that run 31, so much larger tires would clear the rack.

Ultimately I am very pleased, both the rack and bags are extremely light and high quality. Without the bags I couldn't even tell the rack was there. My wife is looking forward to trying them on her 20 mi commute enabling occasional "fast" commutes on a road bike v. the hefty commuter.

Veloo
01-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Bumping this up.
Anyone else bought and used the Tailfin system and care to give feedback?
Not a cheap system. Arguable that it's more worthwhile to get a bike that is pannier friendly.

donevwil
01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
I still use mine bi-weekly for CSA pickups and for errands around town, 15lb load split is probably the max I've hauled. No touring or rides further than 30-35 mi or so. Same opinion as before, much lighter and stiffer than a traditional rack and panniers, the position is higher and further forward, but that seems to work very well especially on a road bike. No waggle and out of the saddle is far better than the traditional setup I was using on a Monstercross. I have not tried regular panniers on the included adapters, only the Tailfin ones.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697968171&d=1539294127
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697968172&d=1539294134

54ny77
01-05-2019, 01:39 PM
that's a sharp looking setup and a very nice bike! where/what is black mountain bike from?

donevwil
01-05-2019, 01:48 PM
that's a sharp looking setup and a very nice bike! where/what is black mountain bike from?

Black Mountain Cycles (https://blackmtncycles.com/) in Point Reyes Station, CA (Marin County). I bought this one from echelonjohn. Mike Varley is the proprietor, has many years in the bike biz and is an elite mechanic and wheel builder. The shop is tiny, but a museum. No better bang for the buck framesets out there, designed and prepped by Mike, built overseas (other than his MUSA offering).

roguedog
01-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Perfect timing. I've been looking at these as well.. and kinda lusting after one. Shoulda known we'd have a review on the forum. Am looking at their new trunk bag since that seems perfect for commuting.

Hmm..