PDA

View Full Version : Just built up a travel bike....Campy 10 Triple with Power Tq shifters

Ralph
05-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Needed a bike for an upcoming trip to mountains. Something different from what I usually ride around here. (CAAD 10 with mid 2000's mostly Chorus Campy parts)...39-52 cranks with 13-26, (adaptor sleeve for BB30), etc.

Had a great riding Jonathan Greene custom steel frame with Enve fork hanging in the garage (it was between builds while I thought about it). Some 2011 Centaur 10 speed Power Torque double/triple shifters, Centaur 10 triple crank, Record Triple FD, a late 9/early 10's Centaur Med cage RD, some 32 hole wheels with black Record hubs and IRD rims, had some Ritchey WCS aluminum bars and stem, and WCS seat post, had all the JagWire housing and cables, a new unused Specialized Power saddle just sitting there also. Also had a 12-30, a 13-29, and 14-23 10's cassettes sitting in boxes. May cannibalize them and make up a 13-30 or a 14-30 (14-15-16-17-18-19-21-24-27-30) cassette.

So....put all that together, and it works great. Don't be afraid of using PT shifters for a set up like this. On a triple....don't need to dump gears like on a compact. True....the FD is positional (as OP says), but it bangs the shift fast, and can be trimmed up....but not down. However....the way I have it set up.....no need to trim at all. The FD cable does need to be tight. I like the quick shifting feel.

Have used this same set up in past with some 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift 10's double/triple shifters (still have them also). They worked great also.....but no longer available. Frankly....for this set up.....don't prefer one over the other.....and Veloce 10's triple (and double) shifters still available.....dirt cheap. All these parts still available....dirt cheap.... for that occasional use bike....or regular use if you live in mountains and need help with long steep hills.

If I didn't already have these parts....wouldn't hesitate one second buying Athena 11 triple group with PT shifters to build a bike for this purpose (or Veloce triple).

thwart
05-27-2016, 05:48 PM
Ralph, nice write-up about the build.

But as someone once said... this thread is nothing without pics. ;)