PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tire selection for mixed riding

RobJ
05-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Sorry.. not a tubular vs. clincher discussion. Drank the cool-aid :o

I'm getting back to riding after some back surgery, building up a cross bike for mixed riding (roads, gravel/trails, commuting) and going with tubulars. I can go as wide as 35's. If I want to do some dedicated road riding/training I have another set of wheels that I can have with dedicated road tires. With that any good recommendations? I was thinking a file tread cx tire might work, like the Clement LAS. The Challenge Gravel Grinder only comes in 36's. Thanks.

redir
05-27-2016, 09:45 AM
File tread sounds like a really good idea to me.

benb
05-27-2016, 09:53 AM
The Challenge tires might fit although that's an expensive experiment. You never know till you mount the tires up and measure.

The LAS looks good though. It has less aggressive knobs at the edge if you slide in the dirt but whatever, small difference most of the time. I do think the side knobs help you corner a bit faster in looser stuff, they are legitimately useful.

I LOVE this style of tire, even though I'm using clinchers. I have the KOM on one dirt trail near me and PRed another one yesterday, amazing how good the file tread works in some situations when I compare against the stock 35s that came on my bike. The trail I got my PR on yesterday is 4.5 miles I have lopped 5-7 minutes off with the Challenge tires, although I still can't hammer full out on the file tread like I could with a full knobby tire, there are still places I have to back off, but then they fly when things open up.

Gummee
05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Last few years were spent on Tufo Dry 32s. GREAT tire *if* you prefer longevity and toughness over great ride.

Did 2 Hilly Billy Roubaix-es on the same pair of tires.

Lately I've got Challenge's road-biased (Eroica?) 30c tires on. They ride lots nicer and are lighter, but I'm doubting the durability.

Got some LASes that I'll probably glue up on a pair of tires.

Ditto with a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs that do OK. More rolling resistance than the Dry 32s or the Challenges, but when its a little greasy, the knobs do help.

Tubulars are the best thing ever for riding gravel. NO pinch flats!

HTH

M

Look585
05-27-2016, 02:19 PM
I like CX filetreads for gravel.

Specialized Trigger Pro
Vittoria CrossXN

john903
05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Great post because I use tubulars on gravel as well and am interested in what other people use. I ride mostly forest service roads which are very good shape until they lay down some new gravel in the spring then it is very sharp edged gravel. I use mainly Vittoria corsa elite 25 and pave' 27s they work well, but would like to go up to a 32 or 35 on my cross bike. My concern is more side wall protection from that sharp new gravel they lay down. How well do these other tires that have been suggested (TUFO, Challenge) hold up?
Have a great day.

RobJ
05-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Last few years were spent on Tufo Dry 32s. GREAT tire *if* you prefer longevity and toughness over great ride.

Tubulars are the best thing ever for riding gravel. NO pinch flats!

Looks as if you are in my neck of the woods too. I was just looking at the Tufo today, so good feedback. I was thinking could opt for the Dry Plus for a bit softer ride due to the higher TPI, but might sacrifice wearability. Thanks.

Gummee
05-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Looks as if you are in my neck of the woods too. I was just looking at the Tufo today, so good feedback. I was thinking could opt for the Dry Plus for a bit softer ride due to the higher TPI, but might sacrifice wearability. Thanks.

Was out Wed. Bull Run Mtn rd is rideable on a road bike. Old Busthead is *mostly* rideable on a road bike. Old Busthead has a few wet spots and a few gravelly spots. The connector between em is pretty much a 'better be riding bigger tires' kind of road. Lots of loose stuff on there.

I was on *gasp* clinchers the other day pumped to 50/55. Rolled well, but rode like poo.

Haven't been NW of The Plains lately to say how those roads are doing

M