PDA

View Full Version : Custom Shoes, RIIVO Props

jmeloy
05-26-2016, 08:42 PM
First longer ride in the RIIVO custom shoes I got fitted for at NAHBS. REALLY comfortable and helping my leg issue. Props to Brad.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/e80c5f931e3b137a74568dc959d501f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

regularguy412
05-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Nice looking shoes. Glad they weren't afraid to use the BOA lacing. Are they domestically made? If I hadn't just purchased some Bontrager xxx last fall, I might be in the market.

Mike in AR:beer:

Tickdoc
05-26-2016, 09:12 PM
And they look good too!

What all is involved in ordering a pair?

Been thinking of trying some lakes. My fiziks are looking a bit ragged.

Tickdoc
05-26-2016, 09:17 PM
And they look good too!

What all is involved in ordering a pair?

Been thinking of trying some lakes. My fiziks are looking a bit ragged.

Holy f%ck those are expensive. I've been hem hawing over buying a new pair, but that is past pucker zone for me to pay for shoes.

bewheels
05-27-2016, 04:17 AM
I had not heard of these guys before. Good to know about your experience with them. Really nicely fitting shoes make such a difference for long hot rides.

Veloo
05-27-2016, 05:54 AM
What was the fitting process like?
I've got D2's and part of that includes using that foam in a box to do an impression of your foot/ step. Then a bunch of tracing and measuring.

Here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjJQtI1AWA

Climb01742
05-27-2016, 06:11 AM
First longer ride in the RIIVO custom shoes I got fitted for at NAHBS. REALLY comfortable and helping my leg issue. Props to Brad.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/e80c5f931e3b137a74568dc959d501f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's great they're helping you. What kind of leg issue are you dealing with? Hope progress continues!

BSBD
05-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Nice looking shoes. Glad they weren't afraid to use the BOA lacing. Are they domestically made? If I hadn't just purchased some Bontrager xxx last fall, I might be in the market.

Mike in AR:beer:

Made in Texas by Brad Harper. He made the shift to BOA earlier this year after completing their production certification process.

What was the fitting process like?
I've got D2's and part of that includes using that foam in a box to do an impression of your foot/ step. Then a bunch of tracing and measuring.

Here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjJQtI1AWA

https://vimeo.com/14525027

I've posted before about Riivo: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=175071

I own three pairs: one semi custom MTB pair, and full custom pairs of road and MTB shoes. My road shoes are heading back for repair after a high speed crash a couple weeks ago where I slid on the outer edge.

I'm glad he made the shift to BOA, the other dials, which D2 also use, are kind of lack luster compared to BOA.

My full custom pairs:
http://i.imgur.com/oAiiexs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WMsTLgH.jpg

jmeloy
05-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Got fitted by Brad at NAHBS so he did all the tracings, etc. when we were together. As noted above, handmade in Houston and took about a month. My issue involves a near total loss of calf muscles so I needed to get the cleats further back to take the forefoot out since I cannot push worth a damn. Seems to be a big improvement. Yeah, pricey but great quality and fit + an answer to a specific issue I have :).

Lewis Moon
05-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Holy f%ck those are expensive. I've been hem hawing over buying a new pair, but that is past pucker zone for me to pay for shoes.

Jeebus Frack, that price gives me a pucker that could bend light.

MattTuck
05-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Glad to hear they're working for you, and hoping that you are able to overcome your calf challenges.

Clearly, the price is worth it if it means the difference between riding comfortably or not riding at all.

Don't forget, adjusting to the new shoes (new position too?) can take a while. Even if they weren't super comfortable, I'd still give them some time so your body can adapt.

Also, if that is your actual pair... pretty good looking shoes. That splash of gold inside is a nice touch. Even though you'd be the only one seeing it as you put them on, it still goes well with the overall design, it'd put a smile on my face when I put them on.

cmbicycles
05-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Price seems fairly well in line with other custom shoes, and I'm sure having shoes made just for your feet would feel great... but, its still too much for many to consider. On the other hand, I know plenty of people buy $$$($) worth of gear a year, so its just a matter of priority.

If it ever became an issue of riding in pain (or having to give up riding) versus riding free of pain, I would gladly pay 1k+ for shoes... and get them color matched to my bike. :banana: Too bad their website doesn't let you play with the color options.

Either way they are good looking shoes, and glad they have you riding pain free.

donevwil
05-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Made in Texas by Brad Harper.

Over the last few years I've spoken to (nearly ?) every custom cycling shoe maker in the US, never left a conversation feeling confident that I would get my money's worth or what would be the best path for me (semi-custom vs full). When I met Brad at NAHBS this year I was struck by how over the top helpful and informative he was. He took the time no other maker had in the past. When I finally commit to a pair it'll be with Riivo.

jmeloy
05-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Spot on with what i found. REALLY attentive to details and getting it right. Pricey yeah but in line with all the other custom shoes out there. Shocked me that by ride number 2 they are my most comfortable shoes.

JeffWarner
06-21-2016, 05:44 PM
I'll put another plug for Brad. I had a set made last year. I was "lucky" enough to not need the full custom treatment. I live in Houston and made the trip to his shop for the fitting. After looking at my feet and doing the tracing, he was pretty confident that doing a few tweaks to his stock last would do the trick. The fit is spot on and the tightly fitted heel cup really feels like it transfers more power on the upstroke.

They were not cheap, but after running into issues finding shoes that fit and my last pair of shoes getting long in the tooth .... I bit the bullet. I have low volume foot with a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. It felt like everything I was trying on was either too tight in the front and if I sized up; got too sloppy of a fit.

bewheels
06-22-2016, 04:31 AM
I am considering some Riivo shoes though the following questions can apply for those that have experience BOA lacing regardless of brand...

- Have you had any BOA functionality issues? not being able to get them to loosen, etc.

- Does dirt negatively affect them? Recently on a ride that involved dirt roads, rain and lots of spraying grit.

- When wearing shoe covers (for winter riding) do the large knobs end up getting pressed into your foot due to snug fitting booties?

FlashUNC
06-22-2016, 08:21 AM
I've had one Boa malfunction on me, but that was a 5 minute fix at the shop. Worked great after.

I've run through a bunch of muck and had some pretty miserable road rides, but grit and grime doesn't seem to affect them all much. I lightly lube the cables once in a blue moon and that seems to keep them happy.

Booties don't press the Boa wheels into your feet at all.

bewheels
06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
I've had one Boa malfunction on me, but that was a 5 minute fix at the shop. Worked great after.

I've run through a bunch of muck and had some pretty miserable road rides, but grit and grime doesn't seem to affect them all much. I lightly lube the cables once in a blue moon and that seems to keep them happy.

Booties don't press the Boa wheels into your feet at all.

Thanks

donevwil
06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
4 years on my Lake MTB shoes and only once, early on, had an issue. I found that if I periodically fully release the BOA (pull out all the cable) and carefully re-wind, the function stays much more consistent.

Mikej
06-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Cool looking! Has anybody ever made custom socks? Seems like an idea.

WOW I JUST SAW THE PRICE!!!!!! I figured like $750 all in top of the line- Glad I wore combat boots in the Corps for 4 years, I've never had an uncomfortable shoe...