PDA

View Full Version : Bike rental in Geneva,Switzerland

gasman
05-26-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm heading to Geneva with my wife and son the last half of June. My son and I are going to visit the LHC and we want to ride one day while we are there. I found a company called Bike Switzerland online that does tours but also just rents what look like decent road bikes.

Any suggestions from this wise group about other possible bike rental places and areas to ride ?

sg8357
05-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Going to there first half of June, I have Trek 720 rented with Bike Switzerland,
I'll try to post how it works out.

I've ridden there before, like Disneyland for bikes, but cleaner and better run.

gasman
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Going to there first half of June, I have Trek 720 rented with Bike Switzerland,
I'll try to post how it works out.

I've ridden there before, like Disneyland for bikes, but cleaner and better run.

Cool ! Have fun !!

I may go ahead and reserve the bikes as we want to ride on a Saturday.

572cv
05-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Cool to visit the LHC, too. My brother in law helps run some of the US experiments there. Its all pretty amazing. Its beautiful country to ride in as well.

d_douglas
05-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Hi Mr Gaz:

I lived in GVA fr 2006-2012 and rode a fair bit. If you are not planning to venture outside of the city, riding Southwest is nice (in and around La Plaine, into France - Russin, dardagny, Satigny, etc. a fun heart pounding climb is the Saleve - steep, shortish climb to a mountain top view back to the city that's amazing.

If you venture afar, go to Annecy in France (1hr drive) or to Sion (contact George K/Gothard here) and the riding will blow your mind :)

As for rentals, no clue. I still have a few buddies there who might have better intel. Just let me know and I will see if I can get in touch.

Enjoy!

gasman
05-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Hi Mr Gaz:

I lived in GVA fr 2006-2012 and rode a fair bit. If you are not planning to venture outside of the city, riding Southwest is nice (in and around La Plaine, into France - Russin, dardagny, Satigny, etc. a fun heart pounding climb is the Saleve - steep, shortish climb to a mountain top view back to the city that's amazing.

If you venture afar, go to Annecy in France (1hr drive) or to Sion (contact George K/Gothard here) and the riding will blow your mind :)

As for rentals, no clue. I still have a few buddies there who might have better intel. Just let me know and I will see if I can get in touch.

Enjoy!

Thank you dd

We have an ex-foreign exchange student we were a host family for in 2000. She lives with her husband and child in Ferney-Voltaire. So, he's going to be our guide. I'm not sure where we will go but my son and I will follow.

572 cv- We do have an inside track to visit the ATLAS experiment. I know a couple of the physicists at the University. One of them is over there now so in addition to the tour for the general public we get a little different perspective.
Big science-some 3,000 people working there.

d_douglas
05-26-2016, 10:29 PM
My pleasure - Ferney Voltaire is a bedroom community to Geneva, so while it takes a bit of time to get to the 'centre-ville', it also has the added benefit that you are nearer to nature and countryside.

Lots to do there, so riding may not be essential. CERN is pretty cool. We have a friend who works there who hosted us on a tour - it was limited, but impressive.

In Geneva, go to Bains de Paquis for morning breakfast and swim. It is a spa projecting out into the lake that is pretty 70s and pretty cool (architecturally) plus good breakfast. It was a happy place for me.

gasman
05-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion dd.
I'm hungry thinking of the good food there already .

nrs5000
05-26-2016, 11:30 PM
I rented from Bike Switzerland a few years ago and it was a perfectly serviceable bike and efficient service. There are marked bike routes all over the place along the lake and up into the Jura. Really great riding.

Kirk007
05-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Dave,

When i did my Alps tour with Erickson we started in Ferney -- I probably still have some maps and clue sheets riding from there over into the Juras. And I'd second the suggestion to head down to Annecy - a place I could live in a heartbeat.

Greg

OtayBW
05-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Enjoy!Yep - easy train ride with bike accessibility as well. Or closer would be to take the train to Aigle and ride up to Col de Mosses and Les Diablerets. There are also several bike shops between Geneva and Lausanne (closer to GVA) - some of which are pro shops - that might be able to fix you up. If all else fails, contact Hood Cycles in Lausanne, near La Gare. If they are still in business, they will definitely fix you up.

GL

gasman
05-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions ! I only wish I had more time there to ride.