PDA

View Full Version : Headset and brake questions

stephenmarklay
05-24-2016, 10:34 PM
I need to replace the headset in my commuter. What is a solid cost effective choice. It an old schwinn with a 1” threader fork.

Also since I am getting new shifters and brake levers is there a real benefit to going V-brake? The cantis seem to work well on this bike. The v-brakes are like 20 bucks total so its not a cost thing at all.

Slow Eddie
05-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Cantis and v-brakes require different amounts of cable pull. The type of brake levers you will be installing may dictate what goes on the other end.

EDIT: as far as threaded headsets go, it's hard to beat Ritchey Logic models for the price. I would recommend looking for something with drop-in sealed bearings that you can replace every few years when they start to get gritty, rather than deal with overhauling caged or loose-ball bearing assemblies every so often; set it and forget it is a priority with the components on a commuter rig. ATMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacNW2Ford
05-25-2016, 01:40 AM
To clarify, short arm cyclocross style V-brakes work with the same levers as cantilevers. It's MTB type V-brakes that require a long pull lever.

CMiller
05-25-2016, 02:24 AM
If your cantilevers are the older adjustable smooth brake post type, the spacing might not be wide enough for v-brakes to play nicely. What frame is this?

Louis
05-25-2016, 03:01 AM
For the headset I'd go with a Tange-Seiki.

Here's one option: http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tange-levin-cds-1-26-4-threaded-headset-chrome

I've installed a few of these and at less than $20 they're great for old commuter-type applications.

stephenmarklay
05-25-2016, 07:04 AM
If your cantilevers are the older adjustable smooth brake post type, the spacing might not be wide enough for v-brakes to play nicely. What frame is this?

This is a 1991 Schwinn Hybrid.

Shoeman
05-25-2016, 09:53 AM
For the headset I'd go with a Tange-Seiki.

Here's one option: http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tange-levin-cds-1-26-4-threaded-headset-chrome

I've installed a few of these and at less than $20 they're great for old commuter-type applications.

Can't go wrong with these headsets!!!!

ColonelJLloyd
05-25-2016, 10:17 AM
A Tange will be fine. If you want sealed bearing I'd look to the Velo Orange offerings. I've used several and they're pretty swell.

benb
05-25-2016, 10:30 AM
If the posts are in the right place on the frame and you're not running a drop bar I'd just get some MTB levers and get MTB V-brakes. The brake levers are cheap and the brakes maybe be cheaper too. You pay a relatively large amount for modest braking (in the MTB picture) with the Cyclocross stuff.

I have the TRP CX9s on my bike w/road levers. I would definitely like more power when I have panniers on for commuting or am towing the trailer. Those are $100 brakes, you can get a lot for $100 on the MTB side. (I think you can XT V-brakes and the matching shimano levers for just over $100)

josephr
05-25-2016, 10:33 AM
I've got an un-used Ritchey 1" threaded headset available....will cut you a deal!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=187319