PDA

View Full Version : Decent downtube waterbottle mount

buddybikes
05-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Got a Zanc steel cross frame here for a friend, he loves it. But apparently Zanc didn't put waterbottle mounts, are there any decent ones made now?

thx

EricEstlund
05-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Twofish and Cateye come to mind.

AngryScientist
05-24-2016, 09:00 PM
maybe contact vav here, i know he had mike z add a cage mount to his bike for him. it should be a relatively easy operation with no paint damage with rivnuts...

Slow Eddie
05-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Not that I've found.

The Minoura one sits the cage too far away from the tube - it always felt janky when I tried to get the bottle in or out. Same with the Twofish velcro ones. The Zefal Gizmo seemed to be a little more stable, but I was alway afraid I'd tighten it down too much and bust the plastic.

I ended up going with a Minoura single-bottle y-shaped one that bolted around the handlebar on either side of the stem and held the bottle in the middle. Stable, and keeping it out of the front triangle meant nothing in the way if you want to shoulder the bike.

Dunno if they ever made a version to accommodate modern stems and bars, but they do make one that clamps on one side of a 31.8 bar and offsets the bottle mount so it's centered in front of the stem. Good luck running a computer out in front of the bar with either of those setups, though.

weaponsgrade
05-24-2016, 09:05 PM
I saw that King cage recently came out with a pipe clamp that includes a bolt to mount a water bottle cage:

http://store.oceanaircycles.com/products/andrews-usb-universal-support-bolt

Cicli
05-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Rivnuts are the fix.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Got a Zanc steel cross frame here for a friend, he loves it. But apparently Zanc didn't put waterbottle mounts, are there any decent ones made now?

thx

If ya got a decent wrench around, he can install these, RIVNUT..what serotta and others used for a long time.

buddybikes
05-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Zanc is only 25 miles away so will call him to handle "his" frame.

donevwil
05-25-2016, 11:55 AM
I'd suggest adding bosses as well. I've tried many on my low dollar '72 commuter and unsightly worm-drive pipe clamps are the only thing that have worked long term. The two fish would move around on every ride, Minoura stands too tall and required double sided tape between it and the frame, etc, etc.

velofinds
05-25-2016, 12:58 PM
I tighten my Twofish down pretty hard on my two bikes that don't have bosses. Not a perfect solution by any means, but it works, and I can go back and forth pretty easily between the two bikes.

The only time it has ever come loose on me was when it was raining and moisture got in between the mount and the downtube. Just make sure both are completely dry before tightening down.