PDA

View Full Version : ? re: Map My Ride

krhea
05-24-2016, 01:31 PM
I don't use Map My Ride but my wife "has" to use it for an upcoming tour. It's the mapping/routing program her tour company uses. She's never used any map/routing program so I decided to map a test route for her and her cycling buddies to use to try the system. I plotted the route, got it saved, got it into her phone(android) but cannot for the life of me figure out if the program offers "turn by turn" instructions OR if it's just a picture of the actual map. She and her touring buddies are hoping it offers verbal turn by turn directions through their phones.

Anyone familiar with Map My Ride usage of this sort?

Thanks
KRhea

unterhausen
05-24-2016, 01:41 PM
I stopped using it at all a long time ago, simply far too slow. Does it offer export? Then import it into ride with GPS

rnhood
05-24-2016, 02:33 PM
I don't know of any web program (MapMyRide, RideWithGPS, BikeRideToaster, etc) that provide accurate, or perhaps I should say reliable turn by turn info from mapping the ride on the computer. They all advertise that they do, but none do it accurately. Your best bet is to search MapMyRide for the particular route and, if its been posted from an actual ride then download it to your Garmin or phone and the turn by turn instructions will be correct and accurate.

oliver1850
05-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Kevin, not sure if you're asking for voice direction or if a cue sheet will do.

Once a route has been mapped on MMR there's a cue sheet available, you just have to click on the right button (Directions / Notes) for the display.

If voice cues are essential, why can't you map the route on another app (Strava?) that has the feature?

Wherever I go in new territory, I like a map. Whether saved to phone or printed they are a big help if you get off the route. You never know where you may lack a signal for phone service.

BAllenby
05-26-2016, 07:26 PM
I've found RideWithGPS's turn by turn to be OK. None of them are great, and they eat up the battery pretty quickly.

I do like the Garmin feature of plugging in a route and having the computer alert me only if I'm off course.

I don't know of any web program (MapMyRide, RideWithGPS, BikeRideToaster, etc) that provide accurate, or perhaps I should say reliable turn by turn info from mapping the ride on the computer. They all advertise that they do, but none do it accurately. Your best bet is to search MapMyRide for the particular route and, if its been posted from an actual ride then download it to your Garmin or phone and the turn by turn instructions will be correct and accurate.

sg8357
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Ride with GPS, loads and runs ok with Garmin.
RWGPS has a faq to set the garmins to work correctly for turn by turn.

Note the printed maps are useless, almost no roads are named.
Cue sheets are OK, but checking them against real maps and doing
some edits is worthwhile.

Take a paper map for situational awareness , the garmin compass works fine.
Much easier to get unlost with a paper map.