PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing customer service from Serfas

kevinvc
05-24-2016, 11:37 AM
I bought an inexpensive light (https://www.serfas.com/products/view/820/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Cusb-lights%7Cpage:2)from Serfas a year or so ago that has both red and white LEDs to use as a commuting backup. I like it's small size and flexibility in that I can use it either as a headlight or taillight.

It stopped holding a charge and I emailed the company about it at the beginning of April. After several emails I mailed it back to them so they could determine if it was covered by warranty. A couple of weeks later, I got a similar headlight only model in the mail. I emailed back, thanked them for sending a replacement, but asked if I could get the same model as what I sent in, since it was it's flexibility that made it useful to me.

A few days later I heard back that they had discontinued the original model. I asked if I could get a taillight replacement since that was what I actually used the original for more than as a headlight. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard anything back.

To be clear, the original light I bought was not an expensive model; it was around $25. The replacement headlight they sent me was their lower end model, and I'm fine with that. Similarly, I don't want a top of the line taillight from them, just a lower end USB light.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Has anyone else had positive or negative interactions with Serfas? I wasn't going to post any of this online as long as a constructive dialogue seemed to be happening, but this has been going on for almost 2 months now and I've hit radio silence from them. Any suggestions?

cmbicycles
05-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Call the Warranty Department 623-888-5841

Sometimes it is easier to communicate via phone than with back and forth emails, amidst many emails received.

Idris Icabod
05-24-2016, 12:11 PM
I'd say call them. I've had only great experience with them before. About a year ago they offered to replace my 12 year old floor pump under warranty as they no longer carried a spare part for mine. I declined and bought a new Serfas pump.

pdmtong
05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
IMHO you missed two steps in the process.

First, call don't email if you have the option. get a person's name. make it a personal interaction.

Second, before sending something back have an idea of what you would like the remedy to be or what the remedy might be. An inexpensive light was failing. Companies will typically replace not fix such small parts. You were probably expecting a replacement - in that case it would have been easy enough to know in advance the model you sent back is no longer offered. so you could reasonably expect them to send you back a lower model, maybe send you back the next higher model, or you offer to pay the delta to the next higher model.

It is a bummer that the light you bought is no longer offered. Bu them not being able to give you the exact same thing as a replacement does not constitute disappointing service IMHO.

ftf
05-24-2016, 01:35 PM
IMHO you missed two steps in the process.

First, call don't email if you have the option. get a person's name. make it a personal interaction.

While I don't disagree this is a good idea, why on earth, in 2016, is this a reality, so I have to call someone to get good service, when pretty much every business is now designed to make calling someone a living hell, though phone trees and constant reminders that they have email or other forms on their website to contact them by. Then typically they just want to then do it though email. I guess now they know I'm serious? And would actually like the service they are supposed to provide, regardless of how I contact them.

unterhausen
05-24-2016, 01:39 PM
who knows why companies don't read email. I never expect to get a response from a web form or an email. But of course, the stuff I'm working with is only $10000+, so who can be bothered?

ftf
05-24-2016, 01:43 PM
who knows why companies don't read email. I never expect to get a response from a web form or an email. But of course, the stuff I'm working with is only $10000+, so who can be bothered?

Well to be fair you reside on the east coast, and assuming you are dealing with people on the east coast here is what I have found. No one will ever call or email you back regardless of what you do or say, and to make matters worse they don't know jack about what they are trying to sell. I just went though the process of attempting to buy a motorcycle on the east coast, well I'm moving out west next year, I guess I'll just buy it then. It's crazy, back west they won't stop calling you, out here they won't call you. I guess they just roll off the lots out here? I don't know?

***?

pdmtong
05-24-2016, 01:48 PM
While I don't disagree this is a good idea, why on earth, in 2016, is this a reality, so I have to call someone to get good service, when pretty much every business is now designed to make calling someone a living hell, though phone trees and constant reminders that they have email or other forms on their website to contact them by. Then typically they just want to then do it though email. I guess now they know I'm serious? And would actually like the service they are supposed to provide, regardless of how I contact them.

Theoretically you are correct, but in reality the person standing (virtually) in front of you is more likely to get attention than the email that has now scrolled off onto page 3 in the past 8 hours. since the complaints are not triaged by the call center in terms of severity (like they would be in the case of software/IT issues) the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

kevinvc
06-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Well, I gave them a couple more weeks to see if there would be any additional response. There wasn't so I gave them a call. I talked directly to the guy who I'd been emailing previously. He reiterated that the model I had was no longer made. I explained that it's still listed as available on their website (http://shop.serfas.com/p/usl-bi-usb-headlight-tail-light?pp=8). He assured me that it's not available and that he'll look into getting the website updated.

I asked if I could get a taillight since that was my main use for the original product. He said that the replacement headlight they sent me was more expensive than the original light (it isn't), but that if I wanted a taillight I could ship the replacement back to them and he'll send me a taillight instead. They won't give me a pre-paid shipping label.

At this point I don't think it's worth the hassle to replace a $25 light. I feel like I've been given the runaround for two months now and I'm done with the whole thing.

In my original email he could have explained that the model I had was no longer made or in stock (assuming that's true and their website is just out of date) and offered me my choice of similar product replacement. If that had happened I would have gratefully accepted a new taillight even though it wouldn't serve the same purpose of my original purchase.

It's not a lot of money and it's not a big deal, but it's a pain to have this drag out as long as it did. I shouldn't have had to keep initiating and following up on every email to get any response. Their offer to resolve this is rather tepid and I'm just going to move on. Guess I'll be buying a new PDW or Planet Bike light and I'll definitely think twice about anything Serfas in the future.