PDA

View Full Version : Campy troubleshooting

simple
05-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Hey all, looking for some advice/suggestions. Running pre-2016 Record 11. Two "issues":

1. Rear derailleur is perfect one way on the cassette (12 to 25) but going the other way (25 to 12) I can't get it to shift to the 17. I have to go past it, to the 16, then back to the 17. Same behavior in big or small ring up front.

2. When I'm in the big ring up front the drive train is dead silent. Like, wondrously quiet. In the small ring however, it's a racket, no matter what cog I'm on in the back. Checked the FD and it's not the chain hitting/rubbing the FD cage.

Wondering whether the two above could be connected?

Thanks in advance folks!

FlashUNC
05-23-2016, 11:26 PM
How's the B spring tension adjustment and the chain wrap look?

ultraman6970
05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Few things...

1 - rd hanger is not dead spot, 11 speed campy needs a 5000% straight RD hanger or will get noisy. If you close the quick release check if the RD hanger is not moving.

2 - IMO you have a problem of friction, since the problem happens going down it means that the cable is getting lose and there's no tension. Do this ok???

Some of the old 11 speed had some issues in the cable spooler, the head of the cable doesnt get too deep in the cable spooler socket and then when you are going down (25-12) the head gets off the socket and toouching the lever inside. To check this is pretty easy, remove the lever and dont remove the cable and look the cable spooler area, if you have scratches inside and the cable head doesnt look like sits all the way in, then you found the problem. TO fix it you have 3 options, a new cable spooler, use a drill to make the cable spooler socket thing deeper or just dremel the head of the cable a few mms so it doesnt touch the lever no more.

3rd... are you running both cables at the front? or you have one at the front and the other one at the back?? best is front and back.

4th ... the fd lever may have the same problem in the cable spooler than the rd one, check it out just in case.

Hope this helps.

ps: seen that thing of dead silent in the big ring and noisy in the small one, a friend had it, no idea how he fixed it.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Hey all, looking for some advice/suggestions. Running pre-2016 Record 11. Two "issues":

1. Rear derailleur is perfect one way on the cassette (12 to 25) but going the other way (25 to 12) I can't get it to shift to the 17. I have to go past it, to the 16, then back to the 17. Same behavior in big or small ring up front.

2. When I'm in the big ring up front the drive train is dead silent. Like, wondrously quiet. In the small ring however, it's a racket, no matter what cog I'm on in the back. Checked the FD and it's not the chain hitting/rubbing the FD cage.

Wondering whether the two above could be connected?

Thanks in advance folks!

Der hanger alignment? Under BB guide? Internal routing of der cables? Clean cuts on der housing as it enters the leer? No ferrules? Der housing routed behind handlebar? Der housing long enough?

Could be lots of things.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2016, 05:37 AM
Few things...

1 - rd hanger is not dead spot, 11 speed campy needs a 5000% straight RD hanger or will get noisy. If you close the quick release check if the RD hanger is not moving.

2 - IMO you have a problem of friction, since the problem happens going down it means that the cable is getting lose and there's no tension. Do this ok???

Some of the old 11 speed had some issues in the cable spooler, the head of the cable doesnt get too deep in the cable spooler socket and then when you are going down (25-12) the head gets off the socket and toouching the lever inside. To check this is pretty easy, remove the lever and dont remove the cable and look the cable spooler area, if you have scratches inside and the cable head doesnt look like sits all the way in, then you found the problem. TO fix it you have 3 options, a new cable spooler, use a drill to make the cable spooler socket thing deeper or just dremel the head of the cable a few mms so it doesnt touch the lever no more.

3rd... are you running both cables at the front? or you have one at the front and the other one at the back?? best is front and back.

4th ... the fd lever may have the same problem in the cable spooler than the rd one, check it out just in case.

Hope this helps.

ps: seen that thing of dead silent in the big ring and noisy in the small one, a friend had it, no idea how he fixed it.

Also, old spool was white, new one is black.