PDA

View Full Version : kuat rack - how to secure bikes?

vqdriver
05-23-2016, 08:04 PM
i have a kuat sherpa and wanted ideas on how to lock the bikes to the rack. it comes with a cable but no lock. i'm looking at the rack itself and there doesn't seem to be a good spot to padlock the cable loops to. so i'm thinking a u lock would fit around the main trunk of the rack but it'll probably slide around and bang into stuff on the road. someone suggested one of those combo cables locks like this
http://www.amazon.com/Onguard-Combo-Cable-Lock-12mm/dp/B00GWJCYAC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1464051726&sr=8-10&keywords=combo+cable+lock

not really into buying a bunch of locks to experiment. just need something to secure the bikes to deter crimes of convenience at rest stops and such. what do you guys use?

rzthomas
05-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Kuat Sherpa here:

With my road bike, I take a u-lock and thread it through one of my pedals (Shimano Dura-Ace) and the cross bar. If I'm going into someplace where I can't see my bike, I'll also lace a cable through the wheels.

With my MTB and cross bikes which have MTB pedals, I just lace the cable through the wheels and put the lock through the rear wheel, which is harder for casual thieves to remove.

happycampyer
05-23-2016, 08:19 PM
There should be a lock integrated into the tray. Take a look at the user's guide. You might not find the cable and integrated lock sufficient, but that's a different matter.

josephr
05-24-2016, 07:44 AM
The smaller cable loop passes thru the larger loop and is secured by the pin/lock that goes through the hitch.

p nut
05-24-2016, 08:01 AM
My NV has a built in cable/lock. Pretty sure Sherpa has the same. Regardless, if I'm leaving the bikes for a while, I pass a cable through the frame/wheels and pad lock it to the hitch receiver (where you hook the safety chains to on a trailer).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NOO3ZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1464094787&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=4165rldPmZL&ref=plSrch

rzthomas
05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
The Sherpa comes with a cable and a locking pin, but no integrated lock system.

CAAD
05-24-2016, 09:50 AM
I just use a cable lock on my thule T2. Through the frames and around the tray pivot area. Thule clamps also lock but all you have to do if deflate the tire to move them. If i do lock them up its only for short periods of time only. I never leave bikes on the rack if i cant see them or im going to be more then a few minutes.

Steve in SLO
05-24-2016, 10:21 AM
The smaller cable loop passes thru the larger loop and is secured by the pin/lock that goes through the hitch.

This

vqdriver
05-24-2016, 11:04 AM
hrm. didn't pay much mind to the included cable and didn't notice the different ends. i'll give it a go.

myette10
05-25-2016, 11:27 AM
hrm. didn't pay much mind to the included cable and didn't notice the different ends. i'll give it a go.

There are no integrated cables or locks on the Sherpa, only on the NV.

On the Sherpa you have to thread the small loop at one end of the cable through the frame then thread it through the large loop at the other end of the cable (effectively lassoing the bike). Then slip the little loop over the hitch pin before locking it. Not the easiest thing to get to but better than nothing.

I've used a simple cable lock with an integrated combo at times too which is a bit easier to get on and off and probably isn't much less secure.

PoppaWheelie
05-25-2016, 12:03 PM
I have nothing to add but just because it is a crazy story...

I have an NV and was heading out to a race early one morning from the west end of San Francisco. It was still dark (4:30 or something like that). I stopped at my buddy's place in a very quiet residential area to pick him up. I was sitting in the driver's seat with the car turned off, listening to the radio, and some bozo in a pickup truck pulls up behind me and the guy gets out and starts unfastening my bike from my rack...didn't even notice I was in the car. Guy was super sketchy looking, very big, and had a pit bull in the truck. I, in Spandex, was very glad my buddy came out of his place right when I confronted the scumbag.

This isn't so nuts when you consider all the bikes that are stolen in this city, but honestly I had been sitting there all of about 3 minutes before this guy showed up. Needless to say he was a little surprised when I got out and demanded to know what the hell he was up to (not that it wasn't pretty obvious).

Even with the cable lock on I never ever leave my bikes on the NV rack out of sight...it would take someone with cutters about 1 second to clip through that little cable.