PDA

View Full Version : Old Lemond Mixed Carbon Steel Frames

AJM100
05-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Anyone here have any experience, opinions concerning the Lemond OX Platinum/Carbon frames from years ago. Ride quality, durability (joinder of the carbon/steel) and whether they can handle a larger rider (195#). Thanks.

CNY rider
05-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Anyone here have any experience, opinions concerning the Lemond OX Platinum/Carbon frames from years ago. Ride quality, durability (joinder of the carbon/steel) and whether they can handle a larger rider (195#). Thanks.

Just a wee 150 pounder here. I had both the steel/carbon and the Ti/carbon at different times.
Very nice riding bikes.
Give it a try.

whateveronfire
05-23-2016, 10:48 PM
I had a Zurch spine '04 I think. I'm much lighter now, but was well over 200 when I had the bike. I swapped out the wheels, but otherwise had no trouble with it. Comfortable and stable, with nice acceleration.

It's the one bike that passed through my life I wad I still had. I'd jump at a nice one and wouldn't worry at all about it heavy-wise.

KidWok
05-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I found one on ebay many years ago that was in cosmetically rough condition, but mechanically sound. Sent it into Allan Wanta for a refinish and added an Alpha Q fork to match the tire clearance of the frame. It's a GREAT bike and you can find them for a song. Highly recommend.

Tai

cmbicycles
05-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Not steel, but I recently sold a Ti/Carbon Victoire, it was a great riding bike. I am always somewhere around 200# and had no issues with the bike. I'll probably regret selling it, but it was either Lemond or Legend onto the chopping block. I hope I chose wisely.

Idris Icabod
05-24-2016, 03:10 PM
I have a friend who has raced for 30+ years whose opinion I trust when it comes to bikes. He had the titanium/carbon version (Tete de Course) and still claims to this day that it was the best riding bike he has ever owned. His frame developed a crack on the down tube that looked like it started at the bottle cage mount and propagated about 3/4 of the way around the tube. Trek warrantied the frame, the shop had also just warrantied another Tete de Course frame for the exact same failure.

KonaSS
05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes, historically these frames have gotten very good reviews. But they have also had some breakage issues, particularly the bonds separating between the carbon/steel/ti.

For that reason, I wouldn't touch one unless it was a great deal.