PDA

View Full Version : Jet Blue >> Bikes

livingminimal
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
On the heels of the Italy thread, I'm going to DC in July for six days for work and some pleasure. That pleasure meaning beer and bike rides.

Instead of borrowing/renting a machine that doesn't quite fit, I thought I'd bring my road bike. Flying JetBlue, and they claim 50 bucks each way. Would be cheaper than a rental if I have to go that route.

Anyone have any experience with Jet Blue and bikes? Have a travel case I am planning on bringing, but am I being optimistic to think that itll be a pretty easy, straight forward process and just fork over $50 each way?

saab2000
05-23-2016, 03:12 PM
$50 each way isn't that bad actually. Check on their website if there is an oversized baggage charge as the bike case might incur that fee too..... Airlines love to find ways to make your life more miserable. Just read the fine print.

Is the flight a direct flight to IAD?

livingminimal
05-23-2016, 03:18 PM
$50 each way isn't that bad actually. Check on their website if there is an oversized baggage charge as the bike case might incur that fee too..... Airlines love to find ways to make your life more miserable. Just read the fine print.

Is the flight a direct flight to IAD?

Good call on the oversized luggage charge...there isn't one...its just straight up 50 bucks provided it doesn't exceed 99lbs....it does count against one piece of luggage though, naturally.

not a direct flight, going through Boston both ways unfortunately. Only way to really do it from California.

tiretrax
05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Southwest has same policy. Makes the decision to bring your bike easier. Of course, having a coupled bike would be better since Southwest doesn't charge for the first two pieces of luggage (not that I bring more than that).

quauhnahuac
05-23-2016, 03:27 PM
pack your bike, use bikeflights.com to ship it to a convenient dc area fedex location, pick it up there on arrival. it will be much cheaper than $100 rt and definitely more convenient. the fedex will hold the bike something like 5 days i usually ship with at least a day buffer in case of delays.

saab2000
05-23-2016, 03:40 PM
pack your bike, use bikeflights.com to ship it to a convenient dc area fedex location, pick it up there on arrival. it will be much cheaper than $100 rt and definitely more convenient. the fedex will hold the bike something like 5 days i usually ship with at least a day buffer in case of delays.

I was going to suggest the same thing as an alternative. The price will be comparable probably but yeah, the convenience is likely better with the shipping. I recently shipped a bike using ShipBikes dot com. I packed it into a Trico Iron Case and it was like $41 from Minnesota to Michigan.

I'm also likely done taking bikes on planes with the shipping services on offer now but the $50 charge had me thinking it wasn't unacceptable at least.

Bob Ross
05-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Anyone have any experience with Jet Blue and bikes? Have a travel case I am planning on bringing, but am I being optimistic to think that itll be a pretty easy, straight forward process and just fork over $50 each way?

JetBlue is the best airline for traveling with bikes...especially in July, ask them if they're still doing the Tour de France deal where they waive the $50 fee for the entire month.

ultraman6970
05-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Lets us know when you have time to go out for a ride, a lot of guys here in the area. Hope the f... rain stops by july.. amazing, has been pretty much 1 month raining :/

oldfatslow
05-23-2016, 05:30 PM
I ship the bike ahead via www.bikeflights.com which costs about 40% of what I was paying with my own account for FedEx ground. For example, I shipped my bike this past weekend to/from Austin to Chicago for $100 RT insured for $3000. I've used them numerous times and customer support is great and FedEx ground provides reliable and meticulously tracked service.

For my trip, Austin to Chicago, it took two business days to get there (dropped Monday, arrived Wednesday).

I don't drag it to the airport (my car, parking lot shuttle, terminal). TSA doesn't mess with it. I don't drag it through the airport upon arrival. I don't have to stuff it in the rental car.

You can ship ahead to a hotel (they will happily hold the case for you). You can also ship to a LBS.

ahumblecycler
05-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Lets us know when you have time to go out for a ride, a lot of guys here in the area. Hope the f... rain stops by july.. amazing, has been pretty much 1 month raining :/

It would be rad if a Serotta ride was set up this JUL ... :hello:

I am not sure where the OP is staying, but one problem I found with a bike and plane is the moment I land and need to get to my hotel ... it is quite difficult it seems to find transportation that can handle a bike box :mad:

livingminimal
05-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Some super good feedback here. Thanks folks.
I am bringing a hydro di2 disc bike with tubeless. I am thinking an LBS ship job with bike flights might be the way to go.

I'm staying downtown as I am there for a conference. For the last two nights I am staying with friends. Would be excited to ride. I plan to do so every day early in the morning or on Friday and Saturday of that week anytime.

oldfatslow
05-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Some super good feedback here. Thanks folks.
I am bringing a hydro di2 disc bike with tubeless. I am thinking an LBS ship job with bike flights might be the way to go.

I'm staying downtown as I am there for a conference. For the last two nights I am staying with friends. Would be excited to ride. I plan to do so every day early in the morning or on Friday and Saturday of that week anytime.

I would recommend learning how to pack it yourself.

My tip is going to Lowes/Home Depot and getting two threaded rods, 8 wing nuts, and 8 washers. Cut the rods down with hack saw and then use the hardware to secure the chainstays and fork stays (like you would a hub). While at Lowes/Home Depot get pipe insulation and place that over your frame (it comes in 6' sections and you just slip it on. Zip tie for extra credit.

I use a Crateworks Pro XL-C Plastic Bike Box. It's been shipped numberous times and holds up great. I also like http://www.aircaddy.com/ but have never used one myself so get some feedback from those who have.

If you pack it yourself you'll know how to assemble it yourself. Once you do it takes only about 20 minutes.

shovelhd
05-23-2016, 06:50 PM
I'd much rather fly with it than ship it.

Look585
05-23-2016, 06:55 PM
The benefit of shipping (vs. flying as luggage) is that it won't get inspected and "repacked".

ultraman6970
05-23-2016, 07:25 PM
You have to put the box in the front seat of a taxi. At least the one I have fits all the time in the front seat.

It would be rad if a Serotta ride was set up this JUL ... :hello:

I am not sure where the OP is staying, but one problem I found with a bike and plane is the moment I land and need to get to my hotel ... it is quite difficult it seems to find transportation that can handle a bike box :mad:

oldfatslow
05-23-2016, 07:26 PM
I'd much rather fly with it than ship it.

To each his own. For me, the hassle of having to lug the bike plus all the stuff which goes with it through the airport isn't worth the hassle. And I believe the airline handlers are more likely to kill your bike than FedEX (and less likely to accept responsibility for it). If it was your only bike and you'd be without a ride for a few days I get that flying with it might be the only option but most people here have at least a couple of bikes.

The benefit of shipping (vs. flying as luggage) is that it won't get inspected and "repacked".

For me it's the hassle but I have heard horror stories of TSA not repacking correctly after "inspecting" resulting in damage which the airline then said was the result of poor packing (finger pointing nonsense).

dschlichting
05-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Have flown jetBlue many times with my bike.
$50 no BS, no hassle over dimensions (I have a Crateworks box) nor hassle over weight --although I've always been in the 50 pound range.
It really is totally painless.
With other airlines charging $150 or whatever, I could see the incentive to end run checking the bike and using UPS or whatever. But not if flying jetBlue.

rccardr
05-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Unh-unh. Shipping is WAY better than flying with.

At best, the price is a wash, most airlines charge $150 each way. BikeFlights is usually less than $150 round trip no matter where you're going in the USA, and it shows up at your hotel instead of having to schlep it thru the airport, on a taxi or rental car, etc. Hotels are happy to keep your case for a week or so while you ride.

As an Old Retired Guy, I get to travel A LOT with my bike. Much better to have someone else deal with the hassle of getting your bike to your destination than dealing with it yourself.

Oh, and never had any damage to the bike using BF, either.

572cv
05-23-2016, 09:02 PM
On Jet Blue, as long as the flight is Jet Blue throughout, you should have no problem with the bike making connections and being ok. We've made some trips with them which required a stop, and all was well (VT to FL via JFK, and VT to SF via JFK).

cat6
05-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Ship the bike and then fly direct using a different airline.

sitzmark
05-24-2016, 01:00 AM
Have flown JetBlue, Southwest, and United a number of times with bike. JB is $50 ezpeezy. Southwest also straight forward.

United is kind of a cluster - ask 3 people what the cost /restrictions are and you'll get 5 different answers. The one that really counts is when you hit the check-in counter. All counter agents seem to have a different understanding of the "bike rules". Basically the rule is over 50# and/or 62 linear inches results in a $150 service charge. Max weight is 99lbs. I've had a couple of counter agents not charge any fee (back when service fee was $100) when total weight was under 50lbs (even though larger than 62linear inches). Also had a counter agent try to charge me two service fees: one for 62+ linear inches AND one for oversize. This is not the policy - a chat with on-duty CS Manager (and call to corporate) was required to get the right charge. It's a crapshoot whether check-in goes smooth or requires "negotiation".

I use a Thule Transition hard sided case that orients vertically rather than horizontal. It's big and appears cumbersome, but actually rolls behind as easily as a roll-on bag. Not a compression clamshell case. There's a lot of open space around the bike and the top half removes easily, so TSA has never disrupted the contents. Case has a fork and BB mount orientation. Once lid is off everything is in plain sight. Amazingly after 6 or so trips the case still looks almost new. I make life easy by picking up a minivan from National's Emerald Aisle and the case slides right in (upright) with one of the back seats stowed. I would never consider a taxi or hired car with a hard-sided bike case in tow. If a MV, SUV, or truck isn't part of the destination equation - ship bike to destination. Even with a soft-sided case like a Biknd that breaks down it's still a royal PITA w/o access to a large vehicle.

bikeflights.com has dramatically changed the logistics and expense of riding bikes away from home. With quality rental bikes renting for close to $100/day (or more) and the added expenses associated with checking a bike and transportation, bike flights is really a better way to go if you can spare a few days on each side of your trip without the bike being transported. That or if going to the same location more than a couple of times, buy a bike and stash it with a friend.

flydhest
05-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Let's get back to the more important question of when in July and how to get forumites together to ride. For the OP, how well do you know DC?

livingminimal
05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
I am thinking more and more about flying with the bike. I like the idea of keeping it close. my only fear is Uber/Cabbing from the airport to the room. I also like that it's 50 bucks. I do have multiple bikes but I tend to swap the same crank through the bikes (power meter) so I could ship the bike and bring the crank, but that would then require me remembering the shimano crank piece and my torque wrench.

I know DC a bit, not too great, but I can get around. I will be staying Monday July 25th-Thursday July 28th in the city, and then the 29th/30th in the Arlington area with friends. I am on the crosshairs cycling roster, though I live in California, and have a few friends on the team I will be trying to get rides with as much as possible.

R3awak3n
05-24-2016, 11:15 AM
I am going to Portland in July and have to get a bike there. THought about flying with it but really don't like Jet blue goign through my crap. Specially because I will have camping gear on that box as well and I don't want it to get lost.

At the same time it would be nice to get to Portland and have my bike right away so I still need to think about this.

chiasticon
05-24-2016, 11:18 AM
second the idea of shipping via bikeflights and having it held at the LBS or just at FedEx. love bikeflights. also if you have friends there that could loan you wheels, that would make things a lot easier/cheaper.

if I traveled a decent bit, I'd consider one of these: http://www.gavilanbff.com/

you have to tear your bike almost completely apart, but I'm OK with that since it will allow you to get past the bike shipping fees and just check it as normal luggage. it is pricey, though.

54ny77
05-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Jet Blue is great for bikes. Just used 'em a few weeks ago, big bike case, agent was unsure if free or to charge $50. I was hoping for the former and he was almost looking for someone to validate and give me a break, but his desk colleague said bikes are 50 bucks, referenced their policy, and that was that. Sometimes agents have discretion and I've flown a few times with them just slapping an oversize tag on it and letting me slide w/no charge. Kinda depends on their mood and if you ask politely if a waiver or reduced fee is possible.

Delta and American, horrible in that regard, insane fees.

christian
05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. JetBlue flies JFK to Reno/Tahoe direct, so this is incredibly useful info.

tuxbailey
05-24-2016, 12:11 PM

It is nice today. I had a good commute with the exception of getting a flat.

54ny77
05-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Christian out of HPN, it's a gamble on the Jet Blue counter staff being cool about it or charging a fee.

Also, for what it's worth, check the plane type that is flying out. I once had a scare where they said my large clamshell-type bike hard case was too big for the plane. Turned out to be false alarm, but it's worth noting. The TSA scan machines at HPN are too small to screen a typical bike case, so they typically open up and swab the edges. Be cautious on how you pack a case, i.e., if you put helmet, shoes, etc in there also, stuff it towards the middle, since you might have an errant agent stomping down on the lid to get it shut.

Thanks for the heads up on this. JetBlue flies JFK to Reno/Tahoe direct, so this is incredibly useful info.

christian
05-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Christian out of HPN, it's a gamble on the Jet Blue counter staff being cool about it or charging a fee.

Also, for what it's worth, check the plane type that is flying out. I once had a scare where they said my large clamshell-type bike hard case was too big for the plane. Turned out to be false alarm, but it's worth noting. The TSA scan machines at HPN are too small to screen a typical bike case, so they typically open up and swab the edges. Be cautious on how you pack a case, i.e., if you put helmet, shoes, etc in there also, stuff it towards the middle, since you might have an errant agent stomping down on the lid to get it shut.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'd likely drive to JFK so as to take a direct flight. Cheaper, too. Bikes would be a SC 5010, a Giant Reign, maybe a Giant Glory, so big boxes, especially the last one.

54ny77
05-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I've traveled out of JFK Jet Blue a lot with a case over the years. No issues.

Two things to point out:
1) If you're taking a car service to airport, make sure to ask for an SUV or minivan big enough to hold case plus your luggage & passengers. I just flew out of LGA with hard case and had to stuff it in back seat of the usual Lincoln sedan with bags in trunk and me in front passenger seat. Luckily it was just me and not family, or we'd have not been able to fit. Driver was not happy with case in back seat at all but their dispatcher screwed up, sent wrong car type, and I had to get to airport. No way he was leaving without me and all luggage!

2) At your destination, if renting a car, get something with big enough trunk/storage space for you, luggage, bike case(s) and passengers. I learned that the hard way the first time a long time ago...

Thanks for the heads up, but I'd likely drive to JFK so as to take a direct flight. Cheaper, too. Bikes would be a SC 5010, a Giant Reign, maybe a Giant Glory, so big boxes, especially the last one.

bocarider
05-24-2016, 04:41 PM
I have to give a negative review of bikeflights. My son and I used the service a couple of times and it worked fine. He then used it to ship his bike from Philadelphia to San Francisco for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

The bike never got out of the Philly Fed Ex Depot - the claim by Fed Ex was that the shipping label from bikeflights had some kind of error on it. Bikeflights was NOT helpful in trying to track the case, expedite delivery (there was still a day to get it shipped) and tried to avoid paying any of my son's expenses incurred due to the defective service. He had to do the tri on a borrowed bike and with a borrowed wet suit, which was not idea.

Most disappointing was the poor customer service from the shipping service. Stuff like this happens, but when the service provider is not helpful, indifferent or downright unhelpful is how you lose customers.

My wife and I travel with our bikes 3 or 4 times a year, taking them on the plan. JetBlue is our preferred airline - its a bit of a pain, but worth the effort.