PDA

View Full Version : Velo Orange saddles,any experience w/ this one ?

Dale Alan
05-23-2016, 11:47 AM
I am thinking of trying one of these.I was wondering if anyone has experience w/ Velo Orange saddles .They claim to have more fore and aft adjustment,which sounds like a good idea to me. Just wondering if they are worth exploring or should I jut stick with Brooks? Looking for a new saddle for a 1966 Raleigh Superbe(very upright position). Thanks for any input.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/saddles/vo-saddle-model-5-sprung-touring.html

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/o/vo_saddle_model_5-3_1_1.jpg

benb
05-23-2016, 12:24 PM
How can you possibly go wrong at that price compared to a Brooks?

brewsmith
05-23-2016, 02:43 PM
I was under the impression the the VO saddles were private label Gyes saddles?

Drmojo
05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
I have 2 VO saddles, not spring ones, no holes
Much better fore-aft adjustment.
I have broken THREE Brooks saddles--in various places.
10K miles in combination on my 2 Velo Orange
Not broken yet!
To be fair, I rode the hell out of the Brooks'
And their customer service was superb, they sent me new saddles each time, no charge.
Now, I got a Rivet from my good friend and owner of Rivet--Deb Banks.
The jury is out on whether it will be worth the cost of 3 Velo Oranges
The Rivet is Ti...
In Conclusion, for the price VO is hard to beat--very thick leather, very heavy, but built to last, methinks.

smontanaro
05-24-2016, 08:49 AM
I have a V-O saddle of some unknown-to-me-ilk. (I don't think it's a current production model.) Honey, smooth top, no holes, unsprung, bag loops. I bought it from another guy on the iBOB list. Took a little getting used to, but I like it just fine. As benb indicated, at that price it almost demands you perform the experiment.

seajaye
05-24-2016, 09:45 AM
The leather is much nicer on Brooks. But the lack of fore-aft kills me. I can't put them on certain bikes simply because I can't get the fit right. This is a deal-breaker for me.

I have a non-spring VO saddle on my main long-distance bike, and the adjustment is great. No discomfort issues at all and felt broken-in since day one. However, the leather is decidedly cheaper, and the Honey/textured finish has slightly worn off, leaving a smooth, lighter tan.

Your call. Form or function.

MerckxMad
05-24-2016, 12:40 PM
I've tried both the sprung and unsprung versions on a townie and roadie. Like someone above said, I think that they are re-branded Gyes saddles. They do offer a bit more fore-aft adjustment, but the leather is not the same quality as current Brooks which is not the same quality as old Brooks. I think the unsprung version has some sort of mesh glued to the underside to stiffen the hide.

Dale Alan
05-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone,looks like I will have to give one a try .At least I won't be out much if it does not work out.