PDA

View Full Version : crap... i broke my hand

Mzilliox
05-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Broke my Left hand yesterday. No outdoors riding for me for a bit, and just when coming into decent form too...

maybe the right push to finally get an indoor trainer so i can keep going through the injury?

how have you cats dealt with injury to non motor related parts?

Since I can't ride ill just buy a new frame I guess... hahah:cool:
maybe some modern steel in sz 54.

sandyrs
05-23-2016, 10:08 AM
I broke my hand a while ago (fourth metatarsal, specifically). I was fortunate to break it in late fall, so I didn't lose a summer of riding.

Get a trainer. I hate riding the trainer now but when you can't ride outside it makes a big difference. Not riding can be depressing and the trainer combats that.

DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY. It works. I have full function in my hand now, even though moving it in the weeks following surgery felt futile. It shouldn't be more than a few minutes of hand exercises a couple times a day. There's no excuse not to do it.

In the grand scheme of things, non-permanent hand injuries are temporarily frustrating but ultimately not a huge deal. Good luck with your recovery and you'll be back out there sooner than you think.

MattTuck
05-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Oh, that sucks. Here's to a speedy recovery. No direct experience on injuries like this, but I think if you're serious about training, you have to get on the trainer to atleast maintain your fitness.

Look585
05-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Broke my hand a few years back. "Hamate Hook" fracture. 6 weeks in a cast, a few more in a brace. Was on the trainer right away. Had to have the cast changed halfway through because it was *really* stinky due to sweat.

Raced at the track a few days before the cast came off... :hello:

Mzilliox
05-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Broke my hand a few years back. "Hamate Hook" fracture. 6 weeks in a cast, a few more in a brace. Was on the trainer right away. Had to have the cast changed halfway through because it was *really* stinky due to sweat.

Raced at the track a few days before the cast came off... :hello:

Same spot for me, plus up a bit further, plus snapped the pinky clean. At least its my left (non dom) hand. Good to hear you were on the bike so fast. I farm as well, so this means no nothing for a while... depressing. Hard to even play video games.

thanks for kind words, this one has me a bit bummed

what does one look for in a good trainer, i may as well get something decent and use it in winter too...
alternatively, if you have one to sell, i guess i know a guy looking...

jr59
05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Keep your head up, and go to the PT required.

Heal well and quickly.

etu
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Matt,
That's a real bummer. I am sure you'll heal up fast.

Dead Man
05-23-2016, 11:31 AM
At least it's your left! Can still masturbate. Assuming you're right handed...?

How'd you break it??

Gonna be tough, but your fitness will survive this

Shopping list for this week:
-fluid trainer
-Netflix account
-remote control box fan
-ounce of good weed

Mzilliox
05-23-2016, 11:37 AM
At least it's your left! Can still masturbate. Assuming you're right handed...?

How'd you break it??

Gonna be tough, but your fitness will survive this

Shopping list for this week:
-fluid trainer
-Netflix account
-remote control box fan
-ounce of good weed

Check on all fronts but the fluid trainer, looking for recommendations there...

and yes, right handed, so good on that front:rolleyes:

I am stupid... I knocked myself out hitting my head, then fell on my hand and crushed it. my eye is pretty broken too, but don't need that to ride...

mhespenheide
05-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Do the PT.

Start hiking the nearby hills, up and down, with a pack. If that's something you're at all into; it'll help maintain leg strength in a way that's difficult for a trainer to duplicate.

If it were me with a broken hand, I'd seek out one of the older-style trainers that connects up to and mounts the front fork, like this one (CL Portland): http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bop/5552804568.html.

Keep you head up. It's a setback, but not forever.

joosttx
05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
I took up trail running when I broke my wrist last august. I tried the trainer but I hated it. Basically, I took about 2 weeks off from exercise, bought a pair of Hoka Stinston trail shoes and began running.

H

shovelhd
05-23-2016, 12:03 PM
I've broken all sorts of stuff and kept training indoors. Reset your expectations. Your form will go away again. Big deal. It will come back. Focus on consistent riding and base fitness. Definitely do your PT, and listen to your doctors. Shortcuts rarely pay off. Stick to the program and it will reduce your recovery time. Listen to your body. Don't push it. If you are tired from constant exercise it will take you longer to heal. The body heals when it's resting. Finally, with the price of smart trainers now, I'd go with one and Zwift or equivalent. It makes riding indoors a lot more pleasant.

That's all I got.

Mzilliox
05-23-2016, 12:29 PM
I took up trail running when I broke my wrist last august. I tried the trainer but I hated it. Basically, I took about 2 weeks off from exercise, bought a pair of Hoka Stinston trail shoes and began running.

H

i took up riding because after 3 knee surgeries from soccer i can't run anymore. I can hike, but i can't run.

thanks for encouraging words, can anyone recommend a trainer they like?
i wouldn't mind getting one, we have a long rainy winter here too.

Mzilliox
05-23-2016, 12:31 PM
I've broken all sorts of stuff and kept training indoors. Reset your expectations. Your form will go away again. Big deal. It will come back. Focus on consistent riding and base fitness. Definitely do your PT, and listen to your doctors. Shortcuts rarely pay off. Stick to the program and it will reduce your recovery time. Listen to your body. Don't push it. If you are tired from constant exercise it will take you longer to heal. The body heals when it's resting. Finally, with the price of smart trainers now, I'd go with one and Zwift or equivalent. It makes riding indoors a lot more pleasant.

That's all I got.

I will look into Zwift, on first glance looks like game style training programs?

that could be semi fun

Dead Man
05-23-2016, 12:32 PM
In my cheapskate opinion.. the "best" trainer is the cheapest fluid trainer you can find on CL.

I've got a blackburn fluid I score on CL for like $30 in like-new condition a few years ago... has served me very well

Also, can check or even post on OBRA, though most members are gonna be Portlanders

MattTuck
05-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Your choice of trainer depends on what you want out of it.

My Cyclops fluid trainer has been bullet proof for over a decade. but it doesn't have any of the bells and whistles.

If you want better road feel, and like to be connected to the computer for things like zwift, then you can look at something like the wahoo kickr.

I think it just depends on what type of workouts you'd be doing on it.

benb
05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Keep the weight off your wrist as long as possible and listen to the doc & PT.

I bruised (not broke) the hamate on my left hand 2 years ago.. just a bad hit on the handlebars. The doctor said this was basically like crush damage to the bone that didn't result in a fracture, just compression.

I did everything they said and the thing is it's still kind of annoying, that hand is still sensitive to pressure compared to the other and always worries me if I feel it biking. It's like the way it healed it is more likely to interfere with the nerve.

I am now super paranoid about putting weight on that wrist biking. Oddly enough stuff like pushups and using a hammer and all kinds of other stuff doesn't bother it. It's something about the particular angle the bike handlebar hits it at.

Maybe it's better to break it. It sounds like both of you guys the doctor had you just wait it out with a cast. It is very interesting as this is a super common pro baseball injury and for those guys it's ALWAYS surgery and they remove the fragment. Something different going on with the recommendation for normal people and the baseball players. They end up with a really nasty scar on their palm but are not susceptible to another injury and apparently have very little negative effects.

edit: I also broke my 5th metacarpal about 25 years ago as a kid.. I don't think it really has had any long term effect (it was casted) but sometimes I wonder if it had anything to do with the later hamate injury, if their is still something weaker in that hand.

adirik
05-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Matt, sorry to hear about your injury :-(

I hope you heal up quick and while I have no experience with a similar injury, I did get hooked on Zwift this past winter. I normally hate riding indoors but Zwift has a combination of realism and "gamification features" (e.g. awards, kudos, leaders boards, etc.) to make it more than tolerable, but actually enjoyable. FWIW, I use Zwift with a Wahoo Kickr but I think it's compatible with a wide range of trainers.

Tickdoc
05-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Matt, just checking in and saw your post. Sucks dude. My riding buddy broke his hand late March right when our group rides were ramping up. He's riding now, but is way behind. Dont be that guy. Don't miss and trainer time.

I have a bontrager trainer that works great for my wife, but is just something for me to stump my toe on. I hate those f@cking things.
One tip that may help is to roll up a yoga mat and lay it across your bars when you ride. Gives you a comfy place to rest with weight off your hands.

Do you have access to a pool? Swimming makes for great hand therapy.

I'm not sure that weigle path racer will be any good for you even after your hand heals. Just sayin.

Heal up and hope you get back out there soon.

shovelhd
05-23-2016, 06:44 PM
I will look into Zwift, on first glance looks like game style training programs?

that could be semi fun

Yes, but I only do the group rides and races.

Hilltopperny
05-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hear that you jacked up your hand and head. I have a cycle ops fluid trainer sitting here that I can send out to you for the cost of shipping to use until you get well. Give me a shout if you want me to send it out!

joosttx
05-23-2016, 09:05 PM
i took up riding because after 3 knee surgeries from soccer i can't run anymore. I can hike, but i can't run.

thanks for encouraging words, can anyone recommend a trainer they like?
i wouldn't mind getting one, we have a long rainy winter here too.

Well then just go ride your bike :)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/573/22072369720_6b800c021e_h.jpg

R3awak3n
05-23-2016, 09:34 PM
I broke my ankle last year. 3 months in crutches and no ridding. It really sucked. When the doc told me I could finally ride I tried to go out but it was really hard to unclip so I did about 2 months on the trainer before going out again. Actually helped me tolerate the trainer a bit more because its better to ride on the trainer than nothing at all.

I was on a kurt kinetic but this winter I am definitely going to get a smart trainer. Either a wahoo kickr or the new cycleops hammer.

Hope you heal up quick, the weigle is not going to ride by itself :fight:

edit: oh yeah and zwift is fun like everyone is saying, I like trainer road as well

rohan
05-23-2016, 10:50 PM
I still haven't gotten the hang of riding indoors, but I have been happy with my CycleOps Fluid 2, Garmin speed and cadence sensors, and free Golden Cheetah software.

All the best with your recovery!

m_sasso
05-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Wish I could provide you with some advice, but little knowledge on trainers.

However how about a little inspiration, hit by a car three weeks ago two broken fingers in my dominate hand along with a large facial laceration. Doc said two weeks in a 3/4 tensored on cast, OK, rode easy with the cast off occasionally during that two weeks. Today, 20 days post accident, lost some fitness but still rode a Century solo at 31kph average and at 63 I don't heal up as fast as I use to. Stay positive, before you know it you will be back at it!

DG24
05-24-2016, 05:52 AM
I just had a bit of hand surgery and am in a cast for a few weeks. Before the operation I attached a set of areobars. Has worked out so far. Good luck with your recovery.

Mzilliox
05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
i had an REI dividend and they had 20% off for members so i bit the bullet and got a Kickr SNAP. I think i could train without video games, but I know I will be more motivated with the Zwift bells and whistles and mid winter I would wish I had bought a smart trainer.

Happy to report on it when it arrives, but this video is what convinced me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3_EKqNzK0

carpediemracing
06-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Zwifter:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgJdafJUAAEnRFz.jpg

http://zwiftblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/matt-hayman-header.jpg

For me personally I don't do the group rides and races on Zwift. Races are way too hard, the group rides it's more because it's hard to type and ride, and the teamspeak chat isn't my thing.

I use a "classic" aka dumb trainer, a KK Road Machine that I got from someone here. Based on my wired SRM (which is not Zwift compatible) I'm shorted about 30-35w at my normal wattages (130-170w), but that's okay by me. It probably contributes to my being shelled even on easier 2 w/kg type rides/races.

I did my first outside ride last night since Aug 4, 2015. The ride last night was a Tues Night race (USAC sanctioned), as was the Aug 4th ride last year. I haven't been training very much, rarely get more than an hour or so at a time. In 2015 I only trained outside 5x but I raced a bit and had more fitness. With that fitness I was on the pointy end of the Tues Night A races. Yesterday I shelled myself out of the B race while I was in the last group (3rd of three groups).

Mzilliox
06-01-2016, 10:14 AM
So what programs are you using with Zwift? some sort of training modules?

Zwifter:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgJdafJUAAEnRFz.jpg

http://zwiftblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/matt-hayman-header.jpg

For me personally I don't do the group rides and races on Zwift. Races are way too hard, the group rides it's more because it's hard to type and ride, and the teamspeak chat isn't my thing.

I use a "classic" aka dumb trainer, a KK Road Machine that I got from someone here. Based on my wired SRM (which is not Zwift compatible) I'm shorted about 30-35w at my normal wattages (130-170w), but that's okay by me. It probably contributes to my being shelled even on easier 2 w/kg type rides/races.

I did my first outside ride last night since Aug 4, 2015. The ride last night was a Tues Night race (USAC sanctioned), as was the Aug 4th ride last year. I haven't been training very much, rarely get more than an hour or so at a time. In 2015 I only trained outside 5x but I raced a bit and had more fitness. With that fitness I was on the pointy end of the Tues Night A races. Yesterday I shelled myself out of the B race while I was in the last group (3rd of three groups).

carpediemracing
06-01-2016, 01:48 PM
So what programs are you using with Zwift? some sort of training modules?

There are training things in there. You can set up your own training program as well I think, although I have no clue about this stuff.

I JRA, but the visuals of riding, along with the names (and w/kg so an idea of pace) keeps me distracted. I'll push for some banners (KOM although I only push for a bit, sprint aka green jersey, some "no-jersey" sprints like Broad St, 23rd St) so there are efforts that I would never have done on the trainer. For actual climbing KOMs my best times are usually 1.5x the best times on the board, and more like 3x if I'm not pushing as hard. For example the epic KOM my absolute best time is 35 min and I normally do 50-60 minutes, but the good times I see when I'm on are in the 20-21 minute range.

I typically have to stop at an hour which is before I'm mentally ready to stop. I want to do some longer rides and I hope to find 2-3 hours of my time available on the trainer.

I have a dumb trainer and my SRM spider battery died a short time ago. I let Zwift/Strava log my rides until I replaced the battery yesterday.

Mzilliox
06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
There are training things in there. You can set up your own training program as well I think, although I have no clue about this stuff.

I JRA, but the visuals of riding, along with the names (and w/kg so an idea of pace) keeps me distracted. I'll push for some banners (KOM although I only push for a bit, sprint aka green jersey, some "no-jersey" sprints like Broad St, 23rd St) so there are efforts that I would never have done on the trainer. For actual climbing KOMs my best times are usually 1.5x the best times on the board, and more like 3x if I'm not pushing as hard. For example the epic KOM my absolute best time is 35 min and I normally do 50-60 minutes, but the good times I see when I'm on are in the 20-21 minute range.

I typically have to stop at an hour which is before I'm mentally ready to stop. I want to do some longer rides and I hope to find 2-3 hours of my time available on the trainer.

I have a dumb trainer and my SRM spider battery died a short time ago. I let Zwift/Strava log my rides until I replaced the battery yesterday.

Cool! It seems there is a lot more available now than what research shows. they must be making some updates to add value to the program. Nice!

Mzilliox
06-01-2016, 07:30 PM
i dont; have a smart phone or ipad, does this mean i cant use zwift or the wahoo app? surely i can downlad straight to macbook... researching

chiasticon
06-04-2016, 12:27 AM
just wanted to join the party! broke my hand on memorial day mountain biking. fractured third metacarpal, hairline on fourth. cast for three weeks, then we'll see. it's still kinda achey and swollen, but once that passes, I plan on hitting the trainer. to at least burn some cals, if not actually "train."

already felt like I was behind everyone this year, fitness-wise. sucks.

Louis
06-04-2016, 12:51 AM
already felt like I was behind everyone this year, fitness-wise. sucks.

At least now you have a legitimate excuse. ;)

Mzilliox
06-04-2016, 09:24 AM
holy crap, zwift is addictive. i have had it for a day and could not stay off yesterday. its most certainly gonna get me back into shape.