PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printers

foo_fighter
05-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Anyone own one?
Print anything bike related?
I'm thinking of getting one....not specifically for anything bike related but a couple of things seem like they could be useful.

Headset spacers, bar end caps, bottle cages, bearing press adapters, light mounts, tire levers, chain holder/catcher, dishing tool, cassette degunker.
aero spoke holder:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:987749
etc,etc.
Granted many things are easier/cheaper just to buy, but once you own a 3d printer, I imagine you try to amortize the fixed costs and print cool things.

bicycletricycle
05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
I am a product designer, I deal with printed parts a lot.

The only "affordable"printers are FDMs like a makerbot.

They make really low quality/strength parts.

All of the things you have listed will be cheaper and better to just buy.

If you needed something that you just can't get anyplace else, then maybe, but then you would need to learn CAD to actually design the part.

A tire lever made with one of the low dollar machines would never be strong enough.

redir
05-23-2016, 08:27 AM
I read an article the other day where the author, who is a professional engineer and runs his own 3d printing company, said that 3d printers for the home are like what bread machines were in the 1970's. :)

I have wanted one just because it's cool and would be fun to toy around with but on a practical level it's just not there and quite possible due to the nature of the materials and the fact that objects are built with layers may never be. At least for any real home use like printing out a new toilet float bulb and lever mechanism, a door knob or something like that.

On an industrial level, like with DMLS printers for example, they are revolutionizing the future though. Maybe one day it will be more practical for home use I don't know but at this stage it's for fun and hobby type stuff like making butter dishes or toothbrush holders.

The DIY printer kits are getting cheaper and cheaper and I'll probably get one eventually.

mike mcdermid
05-23-2016, 01:42 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BA0bE2cvEas/

I used to work with them everyday, we used to print everything from wind tunnel models to functional fit ups in F1 we had DLMS before anyone had pretty much heard of it

For a home printer you can buy a printer, maybe 500 bucks wanhao make a good one that prints my kid a new toy everyday, for supernice finishes you need to be looking at SLA which is resin cured in ultraviolet 3k gets you the latest FORM printer and the detail produce able is in a different league but you get a much smaller build space

Lots of people buy em print a garmin mount and never use it again once that itch has been scratched

OtayBW
05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm currently working with a group that is developing 3D methods of printing concretes to build structures. ...