PDA

View Full Version : Dave Kirk - what is this?

christian
05-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Dave Kirk - Surely you had a hand in this?

It looks amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Adirondack-vintage-mountain-bike-frame-NOS-very-rare-/172215249295?hash=item2818d4298f:g:yJ0AAOSwxj5XQQa s

AngryScientist
05-22-2016, 08:13 PM
that seller has some wild serotta stock. same guy with the woodie paint job bike i just posted. interesting.

Louis
05-22-2016, 08:19 PM
We're certainly used to seeing those seat stays on Terraplanes, but the top tube sure is neat and different too.

eBAUMANN
05-22-2016, 08:22 PM
that thing is Weird.

ik2280
05-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Woah. I thought it was terrible until I saw the photos with the wheels. Looks great, quite a stance.

ik2280
05-22-2016, 08:32 PM
How much do we figure this one will go for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Scott-Iditabike-vintage-mountain-bike-frame-unique-one-of-a-kind-find-/172215254285?hash=item2818d43d0d:g:Xw8AAOSwd2xXQQo h

christian
05-22-2016, 08:34 PM
I would guess the iditabike one goes for $127.50. With fatbikes now, that is a historical relic.

The DKS bike I think will get some bids. In the pic with the wheels, it looks cool!

David Kirk
05-22-2016, 11:07 PM
That is of course an Adirondack MTB. They were built before my time there. This one looks to be a repaint but very nice.

The idea was that the tubes would all flex allowing a smoother ride. I only rode one around the parking lot once so can't say how well it worked. I think most failed when pushed hard and I repaired a few in my days there.

Cool bike and a real collectors piece.

dave

RedRider
05-23-2016, 11:10 AM
This eBay seller has been listing frames and other stuff that was in the Serotta factory when it closed. Everyone has a story attached to it but if I were to consider buying them it would be only for wall decorations.

PaulE
05-23-2016, 01:30 PM
This eBay seller has been listing frames and other stuff that was in the Serotta factory when it closed. Everyone has a story attached to it but if I were to consider buying them it would be only for wall decorations.

This eBay seller is in Amherst MA, a mere 30 miles from the office of a certain financial/capital management firm that turned out the lights in Saratoga. Could just be a coincidence, don't mean to throw gasoline on a fire here.

I do remember seeing the wood painted Meivici AE at the Cyclesport Open House one year. It is really beautiful.

Funny story, last month I was on a bike trip in California. A couple on the trip had Renovo bikes, which look a lot like this particular Meivici AE, but actually are made of wood. I said to the husband, "Oh are you and your wife's bikes made of carbon fiber and painted to look like wood? They are really sharp."

He told me no, they were made of real wood and gave me a look that said why would anyone ever paint a carbon fiber bike to look like wood when you can get a bike really made of wood?

Sorry, carry on.

purpurite
05-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Seriously over-done clear coat. Wow.

Cool frame, though. I'd consider it if it were somewhere close to my size.

pavel
05-24-2016, 12:35 PM
man, I really want that thing.

d_douglas
05-24-2016, 02:40 PM
So wrong yet so right! Yes, that looks utterly fragile, but so cool.

parris
05-24-2016, 03:16 PM
I remember when these came out. I was a VERY broke shop rat and wanted one in the worst way after Ben came to the shop and explained the thought behind the curvy bits. If I remember correctly it was also the most aggressive geometry of any mtn bike at the time by a pretty big amount.

The other Serotta bike that I really wanted from that era was the Slicker. That to me was just very cool.

Rapid Tourist
05-24-2016, 07:34 PM
that is really cool.

oliver1850
05-24-2016, 10:03 PM

Why so? Seller has been good dealing with me. I bought a damaged frame from him but it was honestly presented and I knew what I was getting. I think he's sold some NOS frames. I presume they were as advertised and could certainly be built up and ridden.

I just wish a whole lot of other stuff that was in the factory would make it to the market.

weisan
05-25-2016, 01:26 AM
Dave pal should be rewarded handsomely for always being so patient and willing to share his institutional knowledge and answer any Serotta-related questions long after the demise of this brand/business entity. I know he has expressed this here a couple of times that his time at Serotta has been formative and given him a headstart in venturing out on his own later on but I just so appreciate Dave's attitude and life's approach.

happycampyer
05-29-2016, 11:57 AM
I would guess the iditabike one goes for $127.50. With fatbikes now, that is a historical relic.

The DKS bike I think will get some bids. In the pic with the wheels, it looks cool!The Iditibike ended up selling for more than the Adirondack! I was very tempted by the Adirondack, but at the price it sold for I would have at least wanted the original fork.