PDA

View Full Version : Video camera with decent battery life

Veloo
05-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Anyone using or know of a video action camera with a battery that lasts more than 2 hours?

Seems the GoPro's only go about 2 - 2.5 hours from the reviews I've read.

My newly acquired Veho Muvi K1 only gives about 2.5 hours.
The Rideye gave more than 4 hours which easily covers a typical ride for me (easily under 4 hours) but the bracket broke and I see reviews saing support is going downhill fast.

I see the Fly 12 gives long output but $500 is pretty steep.

I'm using it as a bike dashcam.

R3awak3n
05-22-2016, 04:48 PM
the fly12 is $350 I think.

It will probably give you the most recording time but the footage quality will be the worst (compared to say a go pro) but I guess you do not care about that. It would also give you a decent front light so thats pretty cool.

I am sure there are some lower quality chinese branded cameras that could work and they are cheap but they wont be bike specific.

shovelhd
05-22-2016, 04:50 PM
My Fly6 in video only mode lasts up to 6 hours. It's not an action camera though. It records in 10 minute segments and will record over them when needed.

Veloo
05-22-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm looking for a front facing.
Should've stated that I'm looking for it to write over existing files as the SD card reaches capacity.
Would want something that has bike friendly mounts. I haven't checked the cheap Chinese market as my cheap car dashcam didn't last.

Turns out the Veho mounts are NOT GoPro or K-Edge compatible. The middle "prong" is a hair too thick on the GoPro K-Edge and would need to be filed down. Luckily the Veho mounts do fit into my Quadlock GoPro adapter.
Drives me bloody nuts that they do this stupid crap.

Funny how I get a bit paranoid now when driving or riding without my dashcams despite pretty much never having any incident in over 2 decades of riding.

Another funny thing on my K1. I picked up the Veho Muvi K1 from Amazon.ca for $123 CAD which turned out to be a good deal. Amazon's crazy algorithm took it to $120 2 hours after I placed the order, then up to $158, now it's $261.

weisan
05-22-2016, 05:07 PM
I have been using the now discontinued Garmin Virb camera which you can typically find on ebay for $100 or so. The way I get around the 2:15-2:35 hr recording time is to hook it up to a small lightweight USB external battery pack which extends the effective recording time to 5-6 hours. I have a 64GB microSD card in it now that can record 7.5hrs long footage.

The other thing I like about this camera is the camera mount - very sturdy and well built. The camera will not come off by accident.

Veloo
05-22-2016, 06:21 PM
I was thinking about doing the USB battery thing and attach it to the stem but I'll have to find a slimmer battery than what I have now. Wish Veho made a high capacity battery as the camera shape is made to accommodate the add on (you can get an LCD display and the battery could take up that space instead).
Having yet another item to clutter the cockpit doesn't appeal to me tho.

I don't get why Garmin and Shimano would make a camera with such low battery life. So those vids of final sprints would imply the rider had to remember to turn on the camera in time to capture the footage.

R3awak3n
05-22-2016, 07:18 PM
check this battery out

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463962708&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+battery

small and cheap.

carpediemracing
05-22-2016, 07:33 PM
My (discontinued) ContourHD is good for about 4 or 5 hours in 720p @30fps. Enough for license plates in the day time. At 720p 30fps I think I go through 4 GB in about 50 minutes, give or take. I have some 32GB microSD cards for this reason.

I use them on my helmet. I can "look" at something to aim the camera.

Veloo
05-23-2016, 10:03 AM
I figured this was the case - I'm told the longer battery times can be achieved by going to a lower resolution.
Hopefully the 960P 48 fps can give me 3 hours.
Or the 720P @ 50 fps lasts and also is clear enough to read license plates.

Give it a test later today if spring cleaning doesn't consume the day.

Vinci
05-23-2016, 10:22 AM
I use a Virb (standard, not Elite) as a "dash cam" on my commuter. I get around 3 hours total runtime on it, but I am counting that as 4x45-minute commute segments, so that may vary from continuous use.

I got mine cheap through an Amazon Warehouse deal and would probably pick up a second to use as a rear-facing camera if I can get another deal.