PDA

View Full Version : Is your local cross fit gym doing ok?

MattTuck
05-21-2016, 09:17 PM
the local cross fit 'box' is now an Asian food market. Curious if this is a single event or part of a bigger trend.

Dead Man
05-21-2016, 09:19 PM
I don't think ours is going anywhere... but I pray nightly.

montag
05-21-2016, 09:29 PM
I don't think ours is going anywhere... but I pray nightly.

:banana:

avalonracing
05-21-2016, 09:30 PM
the local cross fit 'box' is now an Asian food market. Curious if this is a single event or part of a bigger trend.

Now everyone is going to have to constantly hear about how much Asian food those people are eating.

bcroslin
05-21-2016, 09:36 PM
The one across from my studio seems to be going strong. Music blaring all day long and dudes grunting and cursing in the parking lot sledging tractor tires. I used to think us Freds were weird but the cross-fitters have us beat.

gasman
05-21-2016, 09:44 PM
Do you know how to tell if someone is into cross fit ?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.:D

shovelhd
05-21-2016, 09:46 PM
The one in the next town over from me is now a used car dealer.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Mine's empty. But I did see some dude dragging a really big tire in the local school parking lot. He's into it.

regularguy412
05-21-2016, 10:42 PM

It's the person who's always walkin' around wounded.

Our Xfit 'gym' has moved around some. I'm not sure it's even in operation anymore. But as mentioned before in this thread, I'm hopin' it's gonna close officially.

Mike in AR:beer:

Louis
05-21-2016, 10:49 PM
There's a Title Boxing Club a few doors down from my regular Trader Joe's and I don't know how that place can afford the rent. I don't think I've ever seen it open, but it still occupies one of the primo spots in the strip-mall.

firerescuefin
05-21-2016, 10:49 PM
People typically in their 30's or 40's looking to get into shape and get off their @sses....buying into the culture as well as the exercise....sounds familiar :rolleyes: Cyclist ripping on crossfitters...do it if it makes you feel better about yourself I guess.

Like anything in its fad phase....lots of em (Boxes) have gone up. The right ones stick around.

Dead Man
05-21-2016, 11:07 PM
People typically in their 30's or 40's looking to get into shape and get off their @sses....buying into the culture as well as the exercise....sounds familiar :rolleyes: Cyclist ripping on crossfitters...do it if it makes you feel better about yourself I guess.

Like anything in its fad phase....lots of em (Boxes) have gone up. The right ones stick around.

We can't make fun of stuff that's different than us?

benb
05-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Meh. The average rider here has been riding 3-4x longer than Crossfit has existed and is probably pretty modest in talking about it IRL. If Crossfit survives for a hundred years maybe people won't have to constantly talk about it to try and get respect. (As if any sport as an adult gets respect in the mainstream today when most people care more about how many TV shows you watch and where you get your daily fast food. )

Cycling culture is often over the top too, no argument there.

sailorboy
05-22-2016, 07:58 AM
and I'd add that people can't crossfit their way to work, or to go get groceries, thus weaving this fitness activity into basic transportation needs.

RFC
05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Do any of you actually know what crossfit is and how it works?

54ny77
05-22-2016, 08:17 AM
men in tights & (often) shaved legs, riding skinny tired bicycles and obsessing over which chain lube is better, making fun of another athletic endeavor.

sure, that makes sense.

:p

bicycletricycle
05-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Crossfit played an important part of my good friends multi year weight loss and general fitness turn around.

I like that they encourage people of any shape/size/ability to participate.

Fitness trends are strange, why do some stay around while others fade into the distance?

I think that crossfit my be a permanent addition to Americas fitness hierarchy.

Better than zoomba

Does anyone know what reeboks relationship with crossfit is?

Also, based on conversations with my friend it seems like a lot of the crossfit places are started by enthusiasts, like many enthusiast based business adventures, many will not last.

buddybikes
05-22-2016, 08:27 AM
I am confused, just join local YMCA, do freeweights, machines or go to once of the guided exercise sessions to watch the opposite sex.

Used to do bit of it then dropped. No after my back fusion - began 4 months out and big difference.

There are some great PT centers that have more group sessions, at least at my local PT the professionalism is great.

54ny77
05-22-2016, 08:37 AM
It's tight. Really tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

:D

Does anyone know what reeboks relationship with crossfit is?

malcolm
05-22-2016, 08:41 AM
While I don't think it's my cup of tea I'm a fan. I've know a half dozen or so people that have turned their life around with crossfit, some still participate and others have moved on to other things but there is now a fit healthy person where a couch riding lard once resided, so kudos to CF.

Back to the OP. My wife and I were asking the same question the other day as yet another crossfit gym opened. We now have crossfit or a version of crossfit on almost every corner. It's almost like frozen yogurt places a few years ago popping up like weeds. I suspect the market can't support them all and some will close, but like bike shops the ones that fill a need and do it well will survive.

malcolm
05-22-2016, 08:45 AM

In this vein if you have a vegan crossfitter the only question is which one will they talk about first.

AngryScientist
05-22-2016, 09:07 AM
it was probably foolish for anyone to open an establishment exclusively dedicated to crossfit, which was a pretty niche thing. a gym that offered crossfit classes seems like a much better business model, and you can always offer different classes and evolve with the trends.

i personally dont hate on any of this kind of stuff, even when people talk about it constantly. to be frank, i dont have ANY interest in big organized sports, so i find it more tolerable to talk to a co-worker or client about the awesome crossfit workout they got in last night over how the giants game went any day of the week. people getting excited about their own personal fitness accomplishments is way cooler, IMO than talking about what professional athletes are up to!

avalonracing
05-22-2016, 09:25 AM

First Rule of Crossfit...

Tell everyone you do Crossfit.

Mr. Pink
05-22-2016, 09:37 AM
I have a hard time predicting how some of these fads will last. Closer to home, spin classes have proved to have a lot of endurance in the exercise world. Personally, I hate them. Closed little rooms with, sometimes, thirty or more sweating people crammed in so tight that you are forced to have somebody's butt in your face half the time, and an overly enthusiastic and sometimes sadistic "instructor" shouting instructions at you over an amplified system, really loud, because he/she has chosen some pretty awful music as a soundtrack, and that's pretty loud, too. The whole point seems to be to exercise to burnout levels in an hour while harming one's hearing in the process. But, people love it, and, I sort of doubt most of them ever get on a real bike. Weird. I suppose a lot equate exercise with abuse. We should all blame our sadistic drill sargeant gym teachers from grade school.

d_douglas
05-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Agreed - I constantly hear locker room banter about pro football (aka soccer) at my place of work. Yawn.

My buddy at work used Crossfit to get back into shape after getting out of shape from having kids etc. she's gotten way more fit and that's pretty cool. She and her husband were downhillers once upon a time as well, so there's a cycling link, which she also gets points for :)

it was probably foolish for anyone to open an establishment exclusively dedicated to crossfit, which was a pretty niche thing. a gym that offered crossfit classes seems like a much better business model, and you can always offer different classes and evolve with the trends.

i personally dont hate on any of this kind of stuff, even when people talk about it constantly. to be frank, i dont have ANY interest in big organized sports, so i find it more tolerable to talk to a co-worker or client about the awesome crossfit workout they got in last night over how the giants game went any day of the week. people getting excited about their own personal fitness accomplishments is way cooler, IMO than talking about what professional athletes are up to!

pbarry
05-22-2016, 09:51 AM
There was a thriving CF gym in a small community north of Boulder. Their lease was up the new terms were not favorable and the landlord was not willing to contribute to a few infrastructure upgrades.

The owners bought a building in a new upscale "urban" development in Longmont and business is thriving. The first space was rented out immediately to another CF. They are doing well. Boulder County, so not necessarily indicative of trends elsewhere, but CF looks like it's here to stay. I know a few young former college athletes who are way into CF.

William
05-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Pretty easy actually...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23vhh6_people-that-do-crossfit-parody-funny-crossfit-exercise_fun

William

BigDaddySmooth
05-22-2016, 10:02 AM
IMHO, any athletic endeavor has to pass the test of time. There has been so much research in cycling, rowing, running, X-C skiing, etc that you can highly predict what your VO2 max, caloric expenditure, METs, etc are for those activities. They've been around for decades and have well established levels of performance. Cross-fit, Insanity and other high intensity activities will only lead to injury and/or burnout for most participants. Some folks do well but they would likely succeed in any chosen sport. A decade from now, who knows...maybe it will follow the footsteps of "step aerobics."

LJohnny
05-22-2016, 10:02 AM
I understand the constant chatter about anything can be annoying at work. However I support any physical activity that gets people off the couch, latent lifestyle. I myself have to be very proactive and motivate my kids to go out and do some sports vs watching tv. And they are not into video games yet. I am not looking forward to having to compete with that.

Where I live I have noticed that a few cross fit gyms have disappeared and others have morphed/expanded into a self-defense and martial arts vein riding the MMA wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexsteinker
05-22-2016, 10:06 AM
I work for a leading Equipment Manufacturer that supplies crossfit affiliated boxes and events. Things are going exceedingly well.... Hate on. I don't partake in the activity but this industry is my livelihood.

firerescuefin
05-22-2016, 10:07 AM
I was an early adopter of CF in the early 2000s...and it certainly accelerated years of orthopedic wear on my body. The sport is maturing and instead of a bunch of 20 somethings destroying their bodies, wearing Rogue Fitness shirts (of which I would have fit right in)....many Boxes are developing/hiring knowledgeable instructors that are gearing Crossfit and its principals (functional fitness) towards people in their 3rd decade and beyond. I am all for it.

Germany_chris
05-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Crossfit is much less boring than lifting weights and running on a treadmill

Mr. Pink
05-22-2016, 10:38 AM
There was a thriving CF gym in a small community north of Boulder. Their lease was up the new terms were not favorable and the landlord was not willing to contribute to a few infrastructure upgrades.

The owners bought a building in a new upscale "urban" development in Longmont and business is thriving. The first space was rented out immediately to another CF. They are doing well. Boulder County, so not necessarily indicative of trends elsewhere, but CF looks like it's here to stay. I know a few young former college athletes who are way into CF.

Sorry, but, Colorado doesn't count, especially Boulder. 90% of the people in that state are passionate about being the fittest person in the world. It ain't the skinniest state for nothing.

RFC
05-22-2016, 10:41 AM
I agree that CF is a positive thing.

Now, when watching the big CF contests on TV, I have to asked whether the CF'ers are juicing. Does CF do PED testing?

xeladragon
05-22-2016, 10:46 AM
As firerescuefin said, at its core, CrossFit is about functional fitness. Period. That's it. Works for some people, doesn't for others. I feel like a lot of the "hate" is towards CrossFit "culture", which is understandable, but honestly, it's no different than anything else that people like to promote (political beliefs, religions, diets, etc.).

MattTuck
05-22-2016, 10:51 AM
As firerescuefin said, at its core, CrossFit is about functional fitness. Period. That's it. Works for some people, doesn't for others. I feel like a lot of the "hate" is towards CrossFit "culture", which is understandable, but honestly, it's no different than anything else that people like to promote (political beliefs, religions, diets, etc.).

Yes, I didn't mean to touch off the cross fit debate. I am more interested in it as a business trend. But, as you noted, the hate may come from the culture aspect of it.

If people were flipping tires on the side of the road, drivers would probably hate them too, and joke about hitting them.

xeladragon
05-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Yes, I didn't mean to touch off the cross fit debate. I am more interested in it as a business trend. But, as you noted, the hate may come from the culture aspect of it.

If people were flipping tires on the side of the road, drivers would probably hate them too, and joke about hitting them.

According to this (http://www.laweekly.com/arts/the-story-of-how-crossfit-went-from-zero-to-10-000-locations-5005604) article, there were 13 CrossFit boxes in 2005. When the article was written (August 2014), there were more than 10,000 (but probably not too much more).

Looking at this current affiliate map (https://map.crossfit.com) and adding up all the numbers, there are 12,331 affiliates now. So still growing it seems...

Another way to measure its growth is to look at the number of annual participants in the CrossFit Games Open...

Link 1 (http://games.crossfit.com/article/209585-rise-open)
Link 2 (http://games.crossfit.com/about-the-games/the-open)

2011 - 26,000
2012 - 69,370
2013 - 138,619
2014 - 209,585
2015 - ?
2016 - 324,000+

alexsteinker
05-22-2016, 11:15 AM
According to this (http://www.laweekly.com/arts/the-story-of-how-crossfit-went-from-zero-to-10-000-locations-5005604) article, there were 13 CrossFit boxes in 2005. When the article was written (August 2014), there were more than 10,000 (but probably not too much more).

Looking at this current affiliate map (https://map.crossfit.com) and adding up all the numbers, there are 12,331 affiliates now. So still growing it seems...

Safe to say there are probably 5k more to that as well doing crossfit style work-outs/purchasing rogue equipment for small start up gyms. To be an affiliate you have to have Level 1 Certified staff and pay for that "crossfit affiliated" Status.

xeladragon
05-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Safe to say there are probably 5k more to that as well doing crossfit style work-outs/purchasing rogue equipment for small start up gyms. To be an affiliate you have to have Level 1 Certified staff and pay for that "crossfit affiliated" Status.

Yep... and my garage is one of those 5K. :)

rzthomas
05-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Don't get the jokes that are about ripping on crossfit. I mean, cyclists are way easier to make fun of.

At least CF builds a lot more functional fitness if you don't let yourself get torn up in doing it.

I don't do CF, but emulate some of the workouts as part of my overall fitness program. We all would be better off doing pullups, pushups, and weights instead of riding our bikes all the time. :)

shovelhd
05-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Don't get the jokes that are about ripping on crossfit. I mean, cyclists are way easier to make fun of.

The bika ego is a fragile ego. Must feed the superiority complex. :)

Look at traditional gyms. The race to the bottom is pretty much there. Crossfit doesn't use anything out of the ordinary for equipment, and they can charge a premium to use it. Raises the bar. Good business.

Dead Man
05-22-2016, 01:08 PM
We all would be better off doing pullups, pushups, and weights in addition to riding our bikes all the time. :)

FIFY

But not competitively. And that's the problem with crossfit: they have tried to make themselves out to be some kind of sport or something. Just going to the gym- you know, training- is likely to result in torn connective tissue.

I do calisthenics as part of my morning routine, for "functional fitness." I slowly, calmly do three sets each of pushups, pullups, crunches, and weighted squats... I don't throw weights around my house, I don't go against the clock, I don't use momentum and dynamic movement to get through reps - I will never understand that retardation.

Definitely don't need to pay someone to bark at you to try harder to injure yourself to maintain "functional fitness."

daker13
05-22-2016, 01:56 PM
A warehouse I pass on the way to work was turned into a crossfit gym a couple of years ago. I called them to see how much the fees were and they said--$130 a month!

I like to belong to a gym, especially for the winter months, but it has to be cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about only going 2x a week. And when I say cheap, I mean, under $30 a month, but that's just me.

RFC
05-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I was at the gym this morning (lifting massive amounts of weight) and talked to the owner who is experienced with crossfit. He said one of CF's claims to fame is that, in the competitions, they Do Not test for PEDs.

Maybe Lance could have a competitive future in the CR games.

alexsteinker
05-22-2016, 02:24 PM
A warehouse I pass on the way to work was turned into a crossfit gym a couple of years ago. I called them to see how much the fees were and they said--$130 a month!

I like to belong to a gym, especially for the winter months, but it has to be cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about only going 2x a week. And when I say cheap, I mean, under $30 a month, but that's just me.

Valid argument, but you're really paying 130$ a month for unlimited access to any classes you'd want to attend, high level coaching INCLUDED, and a really tight group of people that really just want to better themselves. I spend more than that a month on Over priced food i shouldn't be eating :D

firerescuefin
05-22-2016, 02:26 PM
FIFY

But not competitively. And that's the problem with crossfit: they have tried to make themselves out to be some kind of sport or something. Just going to the gym- you know, training- is likely to result in torn connective tissue.

I do calisthenics as part of my morning routine, for "functional fitness." I slowly, calmly do three sets each of pushups, pullups, crunches, and weighted squats... I don't throw weights around my house, I don't go against the clock, I don't use momentum and dynamic movement to get through reps - I will never understand that retardation.

Definitely don't need to pay someone to bark at you to try harder to injure yourself to maintain "functional fitness."

To be honest...you get what is broken to the layman (and is broken) about a niche of the Crossfit culture. It's an easy and common criticism that is lobbed daily from the cheap seats......but you pretty clearly don't get what Crossfit/ and the idea of high level "functional fitness" (I'm quoting it because you did) is.

Stressing systems and maintaining functional movement in the real world , often under duress/situations that are outside of the norm goes far beyond sets/reps/weight and a few crossfit like exercises....and is light years past dudes in a Box yelling at each other, faking and kipping their way to a new WOD best time.

I'd recommend "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Dr. Kelly Starrett and read the first half of the book (Second is about mobilization...super valuable).

Truthfully, you should buy it (not being a smart@ss), and come back to the conversation.

benb
05-23-2016, 09:09 AM
I didn't mention it before (and BTW I think the local Crossfit Gym near me is doing fine) but the main reason I'm actually skeptical of Crossfit in the long term is that it's a commercial money making activity, a brand, a trademark, a franchise operation intended to make a few people wealthy, etc..

Most sports and fitness activities that are around for the long run don't require a tithe to a guru's business operation and don't have a cult of personality around a certain person/organization dictating everything. Cycling is way commercialized but most of the big guys can vaporize tomorrow and it's not going to stop much. Pro Tour, USA Cycling, UCI, USADA, WADA, etc.. could all disappear and the sport could stay quite healthy.

The only other thing is the sport seems to have some major issues up at the elite level with drug use and the competitions treating the athletes like crap. (See Criticism of how the Crossfit games are run by the Crossfit elites.)

I keep wondering when their is going to be some kind of big schism.

I am still tempted to try it for a while if I take a break from cycling. The local gym is < 1 mile from my office, the gym in my office park that I have a free membership to has kind of become sucky because they lopped off 50% of the space to make room for a boutique spin class setup that is terrible. Those spin classes are as expensive as Crossfit and certainly don't provide nearly as much value.

Interestingly said local gym is already offering half the workouts with non crossfit branding with the non-branded workouts being less expensive.

I'm super skinny/fast right now, I've put in a ton of miles but I get the whole thing with functional fitness. I can maybe do 25-30 pushups right now but I'll probably super sore the next day. I did 2 pull-ups yesterday at the park playing with my son but then again I've always been super weak at those. Cycling beats me up and makes me feel weaker in lots of ways and for lots of things other than cycling. Fitness that makes you feel like an animal doing yard work or other manual labor is appealing.

fiamme red
05-23-2016, 12:00 PM
I have no idea how well my local CrossFit gym is doing. But I just looked it up and they charge $229 per month for a base membership, so it's definitely not cheap.

shovelhd
05-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Ironman is definitely a trademark, although they have competitors.

slidey
05-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Dafaaqq!! :eek:

It's tight. Really tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

oldpotatoe
05-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Funny..'rides a fixie', 'is a vegan', 'races tri's', probably others. :D

John H.
05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
We have lots of crossfit gyms in my area- I am guessing at least six in a 2 mile square area. We also have Crossfit-ish gyms (not trademarked).

I don't know how well they are all doing, but some are doing well.

Here are some of my observations on Crossfit.
1.) You can get injured- but the better Crossfit gyms pay more attention to technique and the athletes also sharpshoot each other with regard to technique.
2.) The Crossift phenomena has spilled over into mainstream gyms.
Many more people coming to my old school, straight up, non-fancy gym.
More women working out- way more.
More people doing Crossift-ish type work at the gym. Kettle bell work, supersets of the Crossfit variety, etc..
More people using the squat rack and doing deadlifts than ever before.

How can any of this be a bad thing?

Also- Crossift will certify anyone and they will grant a franchise right across the street from an existing Crossift gym.
On the surface this might seem shallow, but Crossfit makes money either way and the strong gyms will survive.

John H.
05-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Another thought-
Crossfit might be too hard and too varied for those who have specific bike related fitness goals.
Too many varied and compound movements- can leave you tired and sore for any performance specific riding.
But for someone who just needs to increase activity and get some muscle going- it could be a great thing.
Like I said, depends on your age and your goals.

benb
05-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Another thought-
Crossfit might be too hard and too varied for those who have specific bike related fitness goals.
Too many varied and compound movements- can leave you tired and sore for any performance specific riding.
But for someone who just needs to increase activity and get some muscle going- it could be a great thing.
Like I said, depends on your age and your goals.

I feel like this is pretty much true of weightlifting in general.

There is almost no way to do squats and deadlifts seriously and then ride your bike the next couple days unless you just do recovery rides. When recommended bike training inevitably seems to be "ride every day, 1-2 days a week easy", it's pretty hard to combine biking with much else seriously.

I can do unweighted squats, lunges, pushups, core exercises, etc.. and be OK on the bike but not much else. I haven't done much if any weight lifting this spring.. it'd be interesting to get back to it and watch what happens to power #s and how long it takes to recover.

alexsteinker
05-23-2016, 02:13 PM
I feel like this is pretty much true of weightlifting in general.

There is almost no way to do squats and deadlifts seriously and then ride your bike the next couple days unless you just do recovery rides. When recommended bike training inevitably seems to be "ride every day, 1-2 days a week easy", it's pretty hard to combine biking with much else seriously.

I can do unweighted squats, lunges, pushups, core exercises, etc.. and be OK on the bike but not much else. I haven't done much if any weight lifting this spring.. it'd be interesting to get back to it and watch what happens to power #s and how long it takes to recover.

I agree and disagree with this. It's very similar to Basemiles and Interval training. You have to have a base with squats and deadlifts. I did squats and deadlifts 3X a week with a Metcon style work out in addition to rollers and tempo riding. Obviously if you're squatting and deadlifting you aren't hitting 90-95% of max every single time out. Its something you will work up to. They go hand and hand with me.

Doing multiple sets with quick reps at 60% of max with a fairly high heart rate has been extremely effective for me. Makes me feel awesome afterwards. Every time i touch a barbell i'm starting off with Air Squats, Bare Barbell and 10 pound increments every single time.

There are so many "crossfit Wods" that really just focus on repetitions and little to no weight. Jump Ropes and box jumps will tear you apart! What you see on TV and in the Crossfit Games is competition. It certainly isnt going on daily in any gym. No coach would recommend that level from any casual member.

RFC
05-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Dafaaqq!! :eek:

It's the 80's pornstar hair.

benb
05-23-2016, 04:01 PM
I agree and disagree with this. It's very similar to Basemiles and Interval training. You have to have a base with squats and deadlifts. I did squats and deadlifts 3X a week with a Metcon style work out in addition to rollers and tempo riding. Obviously if you're squatting and deadlifting you aren't hitting 90-95% of max every single time out. Its something you will work up to. They go hand and hand with me.

Doing multiple sets with quick reps at 60% of max with a fairly high heart rate has been extremely effective for me. Makes me feel awesome afterwards. Every time i touch a barbell i'm starting off with Air Squats, Bare Barbell and 10 pound increments every single time.

I totally agree about having a "base" with squats.. there are certain muscles (back of the leg really for me) that have to get back their flexibility & strength after not doing weighted squats for a while. Those kill me until I've "built a base".

But I would have to reduce the poundages so much to seriously still be bicycling. You can say you can do it, but are you going to say you can win a race while squatting that week with anything but super low percentages of your 1RM? You're hitting the most important muscles for cycling really hard.

I don't disagree you HAVE to do the squats, I feel they help me a ton but I can't really do them at certain times of a bike training plan and no plan seems to require them far into the season. It was rough this winter as the gym was closed for construction pretty much the entire window I had for it.

fiamme red
05-23-2016, 09:09 PM
More people using the squat rack and doing deadlifts than ever before.

How can any of this be a bad thing?I actually wish that fewer people used the squat rack. When I come into the gym for a leg workout, I often have to wait 30 minutes or longer until the squat rack is free (there's only one squat rack).

Louis
05-23-2016, 09:32 PM
I actually wish that fewer people used the squat rack. When I come into the gym for a leg workout, I often have to wait 30 minutes or longer until the squat rack is free (there's only one squat rack).

Add a few more rim weights and you can use this instead:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/weightsDone.JPG

Tickdoc
05-24-2016, 06:11 AM
late to the party, and I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I found this article interesting.

Especially the fight against soda makers part:
and I love a coke after a hard ride :~)
http://www.newsweek.com/crossfit-founder-i-make-these-monsters-462363

fiamme red
05-24-2016, 08:51 AM
late to the party, and I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I found this article interesting.

Especially the fight against soda makers part:
and I love a coke after a hard ride :~)
http://www.newsweek.com/crossfit-founder-i-make-these-monsters-462363The founder sounds a little creepy.

“I really like watching the bodies. Especially the women,” Glassman told Newsweek on Saturday. “These young gals, what you’re looking at is capacity. I walked by one of my female monsters that came by and gave me a hug. You couldn’t see a “Lara Croft” or “La Femme Nikita” without being aroused by that fascinating interplay of female beauty and soul-crushing capacity. It’s not lost on me either. I walk these halls, and I know I make these monsters. And it makes me proud.”

redir
05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
I know nothing about Crossfit except to say that a gym is about the last place on earth you would ever find me. My 'gym' is miles and miles of road and endless trails in the National Forests.

But the one Crossfit I know of in my town has just expanded into the hair salon that went out of business next door to it. So I know they are getting big and every time I go by it there are people running around and doing thing. Not that I would invest money in it but it seems to be doing well.

livingminimal
05-24-2016, 11:29 AM
My blood pressure is around 115/75
My resting pulse is in the low-mid 50s.
My body fat could be a little lower, but meh.
I eat good food, drink a little beer, and enjoy life.
I stretch and ride my bike.
There isn't anything around my house I cant pick up.

I can do without trying to be "the best at exercising."

Nooch
05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I'd read something, at some point, that asked 'How many trips would it take you to get your family out of a burning house.' It kind of resonated with me as to make more of an effort on functional fitness vs. specifically cycling. Additionally, my current situation makes it easier to lift weights on lunch than to ride, so I've focused my efforts there.

Crossfit has always intrigued me, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'do it until you vomit' mentality that seems to be prevalent in the boxes (or at least in satire about the boxes). But, I'd like to start focusing more on olympic lifts than the big three powerlifts, and nowhere has the same abundance of bumper plates than a box, it would seem.

The answer to the above is currently two. But I'm hopeful my wife would get herself out and I can get the kids in one shot.

Red Tornado
05-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Lots of opinions here about CrossFit . There is one machine operator in our department who started doing it about 3 (maybe 4 max) years ago. Guy usually has 2 pretty decent injuries per year resulting from his training or competitions (by his own admission) causing him to miss 2-3 weeks per year of work and requiring him to do "light duty" for a while when he returns.
Maybe overdoing it? Bad form? I know his supervisor isn't real crazy about it.
But on the flip side, he has dropped a lot of fat and says he feels better than the pre-CrossFit days.

spiderwj
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
My box is doing well. Small box but expanding membership slowly. I go once or twice a week and I don't go as "heavy" as recommended. I get a great workout without the injuries.

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Shameless plug for my new CrossFit Weightlifting product, The Hook Grip. (http://www.thehookgrip.com) Just launched this week. :beer:

I have been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I feel great. I never understood the hate regarding this type of fitness. At 39 years old 6'2" and 225#, I can run a 7 min mile, bench press 1x body weight, squat 1.5x, dead lift 2x, and still feel great throughout the day with no injuries or pain. By any reasonable measure, that is good fitness, how many cyclists can do that? My point is to highlight that CrossFit is meant to be functional fitness and that is what you will be working towards. Helping people move well, get stronger, improve mobility, lose weight, get active...all in an encouraging environment with coaches who can help guide the way. I don't really see the downside. To be frank, I could make a much better case for CrossFit than for cycling.

When you cross over from functional fitness to competition, then you will see more injuries. This is no different than an indoor soccer player, adult league hockey, triathletes or other adult competitors who push their limits.

Here is what many cyclists don't get, they are assholes. People at most CrossFit gyms are not. I have shown up to group rides week after week, and people are still rude. I have dropped into CrossFit boxes all over the country and been welcomed in with open arms. Ironically, the groups are pulling from the same pool, high income earners, many have college degrees, people with expendable income to put towards higher end fitness.

Alex gets it.

There are so many "crossfit Wods" that really just focus on repetitions and little to no weight. Jump Ropes and box jumps will tear you apart! What you see on TV and in the Crossfit Games is competition. It certainly isnt going on daily in any gym. No coach would recommend that level from any casual member.

Yep, you get it too Fire!

I think that this is a misconception.

Crossfit has always intrigued me, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'do it until you vomit' mentality that seems to be prevalent in the boxes (or at least in satire about the boxes). But, I'd like to start focusing more on olympic lifts than the big three powerlifts, and nowhere has the same abundance of bumper plates than a box, it would seem.

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 09:15 AM

I don't think your assessment is correct. Nearly all crossfit gyms focus on just crossfit. They might host a yoga class or have olympic weightlifting, but that is in support of and to benefit their crossfit clientele.

With a monthly membership of 150-250 a month, you don't need a lot of members for the business to be profitable, depending on your lease and overhead. If you offer a good product in a nice environment with a positive culture, it is really hard for a CrossFit gym to fail.

MattTuck
05-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Paul, interesting photos on your new site. Who is your target demographic for that product?

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Target group are crossfitters and Weightlifters who are beginner to moderate level and wanting to improve. Many experienced people would certainly benefit as well, but many of them are more dialed in to their gear and process.

Those are from the first round of photography. The male shots didn't turn out as well, but those did.

MattTuck
05-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Target group are crossfitters and Weightlifters who are beginner to moderate level and wanting to improve. Many experienced people would certainly benefit as well, but many of them are more dialed in to their gear and process.

Those are from the first round of photography. The male shots didn't turn out as well, but those did.

Indeed. ;)

fiamme red
05-26-2016, 02:35 PM
I have been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I feel great. I never understood the hate regarding this type of fitness. At 39 years old 6'2" and 225#, I can run a 7 min mile, bench press 1x body weight, squat 1.5x, dead lift 2x, and still feel great throughout the day with no injuries or pain. By any reasonable measure, that is good fitness, how many cyclists can do that? My point is to highlight that CrossFit is meant to be functional fitness and that is what you will be working towards. Helping people move well, get stronger, improve mobility, lose weight, get active...all in an encouraging environment with coaches who can help guide the way. I don't really see the downside. To be frank, I could make a much better case for CrossFit than for cycling.I'm not sure why bench pressing, squatting, or running is "functional" fitness, unless that's what you do for a living. Most people who have the money to join a CrossFit gym are sitting and working at their computers during the day, not hauling boxes.

On the other hand, commuting to work on a bicycle is what I call functional fitness. :)

malcolm
05-26-2016, 02:41 PM
I think the concept of functional fitness is fitness that carries over to other sports and activities and or fitness that improves movement, speed and power all of which will carry over to other sports.

Crossfit certainly does that. Increasing you speed, power and strength usually results in improvement in whatever you choose to do. Now in sports like cycling you have to be careful because you have to then move the muscle you create.

Squats are probably the single best movement you can do for overall fitness. It's a complicated compound movement that requires lots of muscle coordination to do properly. It improves overall core strength, power and fitness in general. But hey that's why there are tons of different things you can do different strokes and all.

ftf
05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
I think the concept of functional fitness is fitness that carries over to other sports and activities and or fitness that improves movement, speed and power all of which will carry over to other sports.

Crossfit certainly does that. Increasing you speed, power and strength usually results in improvement in whatever you choose to do. Now in sports like cycling you have to be careful because you have to then move the muscle you create.

Squats are probably the single best movement you can do for overall fitness. It's a complicated compound movement that requires lots of muscle coordination to do properly. It improves overall core strength, power and fitness in general. But hey that's why there are tons of different things you can do different strokes and all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnhuFN8CcAAAklD.jpg:large

benb
05-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Here is what many cyclists don't get, they are assholes. People at most CrossFit gyms are not. I have shown up to group rides week after week, and people are still rude. I have dropped into CrossFit boxes all over the country and been welcomed in with open arms. Ironically, the groups are pulling from the same pool, high income earners, many have college degrees, people with expendable income to put towards higher end fitness.

You put this attitude forth so often here my guess is it is coming across in person too. Either that or you've found the worst group of cyclists in the country to try and hang around with.

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 03:04 PM
You put this attitude forth so often here my guess is it is coming across in person too. Either that or you've found the worst group of cyclists in the country to try and hang around with.

I have played many different sports, cycling is the least welcoming of all. Ymmv, but I have heard this from many people. Mountain bikers are cool!

Cheers

Mr. Pink
05-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Pretty much why I cycle alone most of the time. To me, it's not a competition either on the athletic or material side.

Mr. Pink
05-26-2016, 03:21 PM
With a monthly membership of 150-250 a month, you don't need a lot of members for the business to be profitable, depending on your lease and overhead. If you offer a good product in a nice environment with a positive culture, it is really hard for a CrossFit gym to fail.

Well, except for that price. Hell, I get a pool for 45 a month. Don't use it much, but, really, it ain't an old tire.

benb
05-26-2016, 03:30 PM
I have played many different sports, cycling is the least welcoming of all. Ymmv, but I have heard this from many people. Mountain bikers are cool!

I agree that mountain bikers are more friendly, even if you go on some kind of "gravel" ride people are more friendly.

Different groups of cyclists seem to have their own culture.. they're going to treat you weird if you don't seem to appreciate the same things they do. I get the impression you must come off that way. I often come off that way, particularly if I end up riding with a group that is particularly into the conspicuous consumption side of cycling. If they pick up on the fact that I don't really care about how much they spent or whatever other aspect they will treat me with a cold shoulder.

Now the question is.. do you wear Rebook from head to toe when you to Crossfit? ;)

ftf
05-26-2016, 03:30 PM

What makes a crossfit gym better than a normal gym that costs 400 for 2 years or 17dollars a month? Does it include personal training or something?

benb
05-26-2016, 03:31 PM
What makes a crossfit gym better than a normal gym that costs 400 for 2 years or 17dollars a month? Does it include personal training or something?

The regular gym doesn't have to pay the tithe to Crossfit, Inc.

54ny77
05-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Crossfit with Shake Weight!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shake-weight-dvd/n12784

Mr. Pink
05-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Yeah, but, everything in moderation, I suppose.

I'm learning that bicycling is not the great below the waist exercise I was led to believe it was (by many bikers and many things I have read). Hey, low impact and super aerobic, right? I was still a three times a week gym rat, but never did anything for the legs, thinking, eh, got that covered, with 3-4000 a year, right? So, here I am at 63 after a knee procedure last year (meniscus), learning that I should have been doing a lot of strength exercises for the legs, because biking simply is far from enough. After moving away from NYC and my job there fourteen years ago, I never, well, walked. (New Yorkers walk a lot, it's the reason they aren't as obese as other Americans) Or hiked. Just, bike, bike, bike, after, sit, sit, sit at a nice cushy job. That's the American, suburban life. Drive everywhere, including to 40 hour cube hell. All that time, my quads were essentially atrophying, with age. I'm at work reversing that right now under the tutelage of a PT, but, man, sure wish I knew about this a while ago. So, let this be a lesson to you kids, bicycling is a great exercise for the heart, lungs, and hamstrings, but, not a whole lot more. Mix it up. There's more to life.

benb
05-26-2016, 03:43 PM

I'm learning that bicycling is not the great below the waist exercise I was led to believe it was (by many bikers and many things I have read). Hey, low impact and super aerobic, right? I was still a three times a week gym rat, but never did anything for the legs, thinking, eh, got that covered, with 3-4000 a year, right? So, here I am at 63 after a knee procedure last year (meniscus), learning that I should have been doing a lot of strength exercises for the legs, because biking simply is far from enough. After moving away from NYC and my job there fourteen years ago, I never, well, walked. (New Yorkers walk a lot, it's the reason they aren't as obese as other Americans) Or hiked. Just, bike, bike, bike, after, sit, sit, sit at a nice cushy job. That's the American, suburban life. Drive everywhere, including to 40 hour cube hell. All that time, my quads were essentially atrophying, with age. I'm at work reversing that right now under the tutelage of a PT, but, man, sure wish I knew about this a while ago. So, let this be a lesson to you kids, bicycling is a great exercise for the heart, lungs, and hamstrings, but, not a whole lot more. Mix it up. There's more to life.

If your quads atrophied it wasn't from biking. Biking is usually one of the most prescribed exercises for knee issues because it does build the hips and quads with low impact.

Walking doesn't do anything for the quads and overall knee strength. Running doesn't do much either on flat ground, hiking does assuming you're talking about mountains.

Cycling aint exactly great for your upper body though.. especially if you just ride road all the time hunched over with the bars as low as you can tolerate.

malcolm
05-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Cycling especially if you are doing intervals and or really pushing will build some quads not like squatting but it'll work the legs.

I'm 57 and I think as we get older we should all do full body resistance training. I don't do crossfit not do I think you have to go to that extreme unless you want to.
I use lighter weights than I've ever used, I never squat over 225 but I superset almost everything and stop when I lose form.

Mr. Pink
05-26-2016, 03:54 PM
If your quads atrophied it wasn't from biking.

You miss my point. They're weak because I did nothing else but bike. Zero.

cloudguy
05-26-2016, 04:12 PM
You miss my point. They're weak because I did nothing else but bike. Zero.

I'd guess most pro cyclists ride their bike and do nothing else and yet their quads don't seem to be shrinking. You must have been doing it wrong. :D

Mr. Pink
05-26-2016, 04:36 PM
I'd guess most pro cyclists ride their bike and do nothing else and yet their quads don't seem to be shrinking. You must have been doing it wrong. :D

How many pro cyclists are 63? You missed that part. I was fine at 50. Getting old is a bitch.

Edit: I just had to say, to use pro bikers as an example of good fitness is a bit of a joke. If any of them tried to lift any kind of weight, or experienced an impact on the upper body while falling or whatever, they would come out as bad as camp survivors. Look what happens in a pileup. There's nothing there to protect them.

Dead Man
05-26-2016, 05:16 PM
So you did easy biking, and nothing but, so your quads are weak?

I can see that

Only thing I do is bike, till recently - I've resumed an old passion for alpine climbing, which is extremely quad-dependent.. and I'm amazed at how well conditioned my legs are for it. BUT... I'm a competitive cyclist, and a (bike)climber to boot... so that's obviously a huge part of it.

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure why bench pressing, squatting, or running is "functional" fitness, unless that's what you do for a living. Most people who have the money to join a CrossFit gym are sitting and working at their computers during the day, not hauling boxes.

On the other hand, commuting to work on a bicycle is what I call functional fitness. :)

Nothing wrong with bike commuting. I commute via bike to the gym and back. It is a great way to warm up and cool down. 😉

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2016, 07:55 PM

What makes it better for me might vary from others, but here goes.

Small class instruction. The coach works through the technical aspects of the movements. Provide corrections and guidance throughout. Facilitates a safe environment where we can all learn and progress.

Programming. I don't have to make up a workout, it is already done for me. It is not random, regardless of what people say, but rather part of a series or great scheme.

Physical access to gym and equipmemt. Most globe gyms don't allow nor facilitate oly lifting space, cadre of kettlebells, proper squat racks etc. if they do, you often have to wait, adjust your workout and possible skip things if you run out of time.

Great environment of people. Most gyms are filled with people on head phones who never interact. Not so at a CF gym. I get to hang out and workout with my friends every morning.

I like not having to be sterile, sanitized, quiet etc. louder music, some sweat, some grunting and effort. Maybe a curse word or three. I like it.

Lastly, it is a safe, judgement free area, or about as judgement free as it gets. My gym probably has more women than men, and they feel safe to be themselves and work hard. There is a great deal of comfort in that.

This might not be the right place for you, that is cool. It works for me and many others.

Paul

fiamme red
05-26-2016, 08:58 PM
CrossFit is so expensive because there are people who will pay the high prices, just as they do for SoulCycle. I've never been in a CrossFit gym but I guess that they don't have any expensive cardiovascular equipment that breaks down like treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, etc., except maybe a Concept2 rowing machine.

If anyone in NYC wants to learn Olympic weightlifting, forget about CrossFit and join Lost Battalion Hall in Queens. They have coaches whose primary focus is weightlifting, not CrossFit, and it only costs $150 a year to join.

http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/

http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/platforms.jpg

pbarry
05-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Great summation, Paul. Thanks so for that.

Small class instruction. The coach works through the technical aspects of the movements. Provide corrections and guidance throughout. Facilitates a safe environment where we can all learn and progress.

Programming. I don't have to make up a workout, it is already done for me. It is not random, regardless of what people say, but rather part of a series or great scheme.

Physical access to gym and equipmemt. Most globe gyms don't allow nor facilitate oly lifting space, cadre of kettlebells, proper squat racks etc. if they do, you often have to wait, adjust your workout and possible skip things if you run out of time.

Great environment of people. Most gyms are filled with people on head phones who never interact. Not so at a CF gym. I get to hang out and workout with my friends every morning.

I like not having to be sterile, sanitized, quiet etc. louder music, some sweat, some grunting and effort. Maybe a curse word or three. I like it.

Lastly, it is a safe, judgement free area, or about as judgement free as it gets. My gym probably has more women than men, and they feel safe to be themselves and work hard. There is a great deal of comfort in that.

This might not be the right place for you, that is cool. It works for me and many others.

Paul

ltwtsculler91
05-27-2016, 09:26 AM
I guess that they don't have any expensive cardiovascular equipment that breaks down like treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, etc., except maybe a Concept2 rowing machine.

Clearly you've never owned a Concept2.. They are quite nearly indestructible. Just lube the chain about 2x a year and replace the shock cord after 5-6 years and it works just like new.

Mine's 15 years old and our boat club has few pushing 20..

ftf
05-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Paul

Interesting, I don't really go to gyms 150-200 seemed like a lot so I just looked up what a 24 hour fitness would cost. While no cost it too high imho to be healthy, 150-200 puts it far out of reach of many, which is unfortunate. I wonder if those prices are sustainable, for that much you could outfit your own home gym pretty easily.

As for the concept 2 reliability, ya mine is bomb proof and will undoubtedly out last me.

rugbysecondrow
05-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Interesting, I don't really go to gyms 150-200 seemed like a lot so I just looked up what a 24 hour fitness would cost. While no cost it too high imho to be healthy, 150-200 puts it far out of reach of many, which is unfortunate. I wonder if those prices are sustainable, for that much you could outfit your own home gym pretty easily.

As for the concept 2 reliability, ya mine is bomb proof and will undoubtedly out last me.

See notes above.

They are very sustainable for many. If you are shopping cost, then a Crossfit gym is likely not for you. If you are shopping value, then maybe.

Are $5000 bikes sustainable? Nor different. Most will shop at Walmart, others will pay more.

Dead Man
05-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Yea.. crossfit isn't trying to reach "many," just as many that can pay.

benb
05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
That argument is always easy for me to make though.

$200/month for fitness classes is a no go for me cause I have to keep paying it as long as I keep going. I have a much harder time buying into something that is an open ended financial commitment and I have nothing for my money once I stop paying.

Compare that against a $5000 bike. That's a little over 2 years of the fitness classes. If you buy a $5000 bike every 5 years you come out way ahead. Unless you're huge you can outfit yourself with a bench and some basic stuff + 300lb of weights and an olympic bar in your basement and go nuts on that too. That's what I have... My weight lifting stuff is not high enough quality to be used every day in a gym but it's fine for just me using it at home. It didn't even cost $500. (I've got those crappy plastic cement filled plates, but then again I haven't broken any of them in 5 years.) I need a pull up bar, but I've got a bench, squat rack, and 300lb of plates + some dumbbells so I can do a lot.

That of course ignore that you don't have to get a $5000 bike as well.

firerescuefin
05-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Yea.. crossfit isn't trying to reach "many," just as many that can pay.

Wasn't aware you had to join a gym to do a Crossfit WOD.

You could put something in your garage for a pretty reasonable cost. At the FD, we've got enough equipment and space to put something together that checks most of the boxes.

For those that pay a 150 dollars a month for a Box, many I know aren't of means....they choose to spend their limited dollars there because it makes them happier than spending them elsewhere. Lots of folks on this forum (including me).....spend more money on bikes and gear than we need to...or choose to spend money on bikes than on other things. I have a 12K dollar bike riding on top of a 14 year old Audi with 185K miles. I'm very OK with that. Feel free to judge me. I'll get over it.

.....people spending time and money to get fit...... they take pride in their fitness and it puts a smile on their face....News at 11 :rolleyes:

ftf
05-27-2016, 03:11 PM
See notes above.

They are very sustainable for many. If you are shopping cost, then a Crossfit gym is likely not for you. If you are shopping value, then maybe.

Are $5000 bikes sustainable? Nor different. Most will shop at Walmart, others will pay more.

I think we will find out if it is sustainable, by sustainable I mean that crossfit gyms will be able to price at 150-200 for the foreseeable future, adjusted for inflation, the next 50 years.

I just googled crossfit workouts of the day (https://www.google.com/search?q=crossfit+workouts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=crossfit+workouts+of+the+day), and many websites offer work outs of the day, including crossfit.com, for free. So for me, if I were in to this, I would just do those workouts as prescribed at a regular gym or have my own setup at home, for less than 150-200 a month. Probably the latter. However I'm not looking for friends or a community.

I guess this is what I see happening, and I could obviously be wrong, but if crossfit style workouts stay around, places like 24Hr fitness will just start having crossfit style classes, and areas and then these much more expensive crossfit only gyms will either start to fade away and become a even smaller niche, or lower their prices or whatever.

Anyways, I'm not trying to attack crossfit, I just think it's interesting that people are willing to pay so much more, for what seems like a minimal extra to me, but everyone is different.

As for 5k bikes, as benb pointed out, one does not need a 5k bike to ride a nice bike, one can be had for much less than a year of crossfit gym membership, and you can use it as much as you want, though this does not take in to account consumables such as tires.

gasman
05-27-2016, 03:14 PM
I have a 12K dollar bike riding on top of a 14 year old Audi with 185K miles. I'm very OK with that. Feel free to judge me. I'll get over it.

You have your priorities straight !!!

ftf
05-27-2016, 03:17 PM
I will add, if spending 150-200 a month, actually increases someone's motivation to do something about their lifestyle, that's great, and you won't find me judging them, however it's just for me it makes no sense, when it seems like I can get the same thing for less. My analogy would be getting the same exact bike for 1/10th the price because I used google. Though again I don't go to gyms, or really understand the want to.

rugbysecondrow
05-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Let's say I make $50 an hour, and I commit 7 hours a week to fitness. That is $350 worth of time. 350 X 4 weeks is $1400 worth of time. Adding the CF member makes it $1550 a month. Adding a planet fitness membership makes it $1425. Kickboxing classes makes it $1475.

It is a negligible difference when the full value is assessed and if it is something you enjoy and will do.

It is funny listening to people justify why they would do A over B, when we all know they would do neither.

I am not trying to convince anybody to try CF, but it is crazy to hear people talk so assuredly and negatively about something which is purely personal preference and which they have zero actual experience with.

rugbysecondrow
05-27-2016, 03:49 PM
I think we will find out if it is sustainable, by sustainable I mean that crossfit gyms will be able to price at 150-200 for the foreseeable future, adjusted for inflation, the next 50 years.

I just googled crossfit workouts of the day (https://www.google.com/search?q=crossfit+workouts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=crossfit+workouts+of+the+day), and many websites offer work outs of the day, including crossfit.com, for free. So for me, if I were in to this, I would just do those workouts as prescribed at a regular gym or have my own setup at home, for less than 150-200 a month. Probably the latter. However I'm not looking for friends or a community.

I guess this is what I see happening, and I could obviously be wrong, but if crossfit style workouts stay around, places like 24Hr fitness will just start having crossfit style classes, and areas and then these much more expensive crossfit only gyms will either start to fade away and become a even smaller niche, or lower their prices or whatever.

Anyways, I'm not trying to attack crossfit, I just think it's interesting that people are willing to pay so much more, for what seems like a minimal extra to me, but everyone is different.

As for 5k bikes, as benb pointed out, one does not need a 5k bike to ride a nice bike, one can be had for much less than a year of crossfit gym membership, and you can use it as much as you want, though this does not take in to account consumables such as tires.

Many people do work out in their garages or at parks...different strokes.

Why do CF or bike at all when all we need is a good walk. That is free, so really all the rest is just wasteful.

ftf
05-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Let's say I make $50 an hour, and I commit 7 hours a week to fitness. That is $350 worth of time. 350 X 4 weeks is $1400 worth of time. Adding the CF member makes it $1550 a month. Adding a planet fitness membership makes it $1425. Kickboxing classes makes it $1475.

It is a negligible difference when the full value is assessed and if it is something you enjoy and will do.

It is funny listening to people justify why they would do A over B, when we all know they would do neither.

I am not trying to convince anybody to try CF, but it is crazy to hear people talk so assuredly and negatively about something which is purely personal preference and which they have zero actual experience with.

Even at your inflated prices, my 17 dollar a month gym membership included all classes, and the assumption that people would be producing income instead of working out, it's still a lot more, that's 75 more a month, which works out to 900 more a year. This type of reasoning is how people get screwed on a car, it's only X more a month!

Look man like I said I'm not trying to attack crossfit, as I said numerous times now, it just doesn't make sense to me, monetarily speaking. And as I have said, if spending a lot more a month for what seems to me to be the same thing makes the actually work out and get fit, that's great.

I think the thing you are missing is people on this forum are probably already pretty fit, they have chosen B already, and don't understand A. Just as most crossfitter probably don't understand expensive bicycles, and that's fine, you won't find me over there preachn' the gospel, I couldn't care less.

slidey
05-27-2016, 04:15 PM
I sense sarcasm, but this is news to me, so thanks. I'm not keen on following up myself, but at least, I can point a few people to these resources.

Wasn't aware you had to join a gym to do a Crossfit WOD.

Mr. Pink
05-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a 12K dollar bike riding on top of a 14 year old Audi with 185K miles.

There used to be a website with pictures of bikes on top of cars that were worth less than the bikes. Mostly MTB, but, I miss that site. Fun stuff.