PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tent for 4

stephenmarklay
05-21-2016, 08:55 PM
We are shopping for a new family tent. I am tired of the hassle of our cheapo tent and wondered if any of you have experience with a tent that you like for a reasonable amount of money?

Dired
05-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Whatever you decide to go with, the rei 20% off annual sale is coming up, and don't forget the cashback using activejunky.

stephenmarklay
05-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Whatever you decide to go with, the rei 20% off annual sale is coming up, and don't forget the cashback using activejunky.

I new about the REI sale but I am now checking out active junky.

bking
05-21-2016, 09:13 PM
if you want to buy one that will last a lifetime if you take care of it: springbar out of Utah. http://www.kirkhams.com/

they're canvas, so a bit heavy and would not be for packing in anywhere. I've purchased a lot of tents, car/camper camping as well as backpacking. These are easy to go up, durable, reparable and a nice shaped tent. But, being canvas, you do need to properly care for it.

gdw
05-21-2016, 09:53 PM
What's your budget? Are you looking for a car camping or backpacking tent?

velomonkey
05-21-2016, 10:07 PM
I had read about Nemo tents and the Losi 3 person tent looked really cool. Add in a sale and a 20% off coupon and I snagged on.

I can say the tent is rad and lived up to it's rep. Just really well thought out. I have 2 sierra design tents - one standard two person and one wicked light two person. Sierra Design always seems to last forever and be decent.

Both Nemo and Sierra Design make 4 person - check 'em out.

stephenmarklay
05-21-2016, 10:16 PM
What's your budget? Are you looking for a car camping or backpacking tent?

Thank you. Care camping and it looks like tents like I am looking at are around $400 give or take.

eBAUMANN
05-21-2016, 10:17 PM
I had read about Nemo tents and the Losi 3 person tent looked really cool. Add in a sale and a 20% off coupon and I snagged on.

I can say the tent is rad and lived up to it's rep. Just really well thought out. I have 2 sierra design tents - one standard two person and one wicked light two person. Sierra Design always seems to last forever and be decent.

Both Nemo and Sierra Design make 4 person - check 'em out.

Ill 2nd the rec for nemo tents, bought a 2p hornet recently, used it thursday night, fit 2 people...snugly, super light, packs small, very well-designed. I also bought their sleeping pad and tango sleeping bag, also very nice. I'm a fan.

If you are car camping though, its pretty hard to beat the REI stuff for the money.

gdw
05-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Where will you be using it? Are you looking for a summer tent or 3 season tent? Do you want the whole family to share a common area or would you like two rooms?

bloody sunday
05-21-2016, 10:22 PM
a true four person tent? Or for what passes as a four person tent for backpacking?

I really like my REI Half Dome - it's a big "4 person tent" that we can fit 2.5 people comfortably.

eBAUMANN
05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
a true four person tent? Or for what passes as a four person tent for backpacking?

I really like my REI Half Dome - it's a big "4 person tent" that we can fit 2.5 people comfortably.

Have a half dome as well, used for car camping, we can fit a queen size air mattress in it...:D

Andy sti
05-21-2016, 11:52 PM
REI Basecamp 6!

Highly recommend this tent for family car camping. We have used it all over the country and in all weather. It has been great. This is a great size for the family of 4. If your stuck on a nasty weather day there is some room to hang out. The full fly is very nice. Plus being able to stand is great. It's big and heavy but it's not a backpacking tent.

Andy sti
05-22-2016, 12:21 AM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/andysti1/image.jpg1_zps9b7tfxg6.jpg

This is from a few years ago but I love this pic.

Bradford
05-22-2016, 12:37 AM
For a four person family car camping, you want a 6 person tent. We have a Sierra Designs Bedouin, which has a four person main tent and a two person anti room, which I don't think is still made but you would want a similar design.

For family camping, you'll want the extra room for clothes. We always fill the annex with bags and then the four of us fit comfortably in the main section. Since the Bedouin isn't made anymore, I'd go for the REI 6 person tent.

I prefer real tents designed to stand up to bad weather. Eventually you will have a bad weather night and you will be happy your tent kept you dry.

Buy a good tent, good pads, and good sleeping bags, then enjoy camping. We look forward to all our camping trips and they are usually the highlight of the year for the family.

vqdriver
05-22-2016, 01:24 AM
Im writing this in my marmot limestone 6p now at el capitan beach with 4 people inside.
Couldnt be happier.

wooly
05-22-2016, 01:55 AM
Im writing this in my marmot limestone 6p now at el capitan beach with 4 people inside.

Couldnt be happier.

Love El Cap! Although I have to admit to usually staying on the other side of the road "Glamping" with the family. Haha

Cornfed
05-22-2016, 02:15 AM
+1 on the 6P for four "real"-size people car camping.
+1 on Nemo, but they're expensive. Big Agnes tents are 99% as good for <75% of the cost. (Same for their sleeping bags.) And REI tents are close behind. I've had the best luck w Big Agnes. Easy to set up, durable, and reasonably priced.

weisan
05-22-2016, 05:53 AM
We are lazy people and occasional camper at best, so we went ahead and got the Coleman "Instant" Tent. You literally throw that thing on the ground and it pop up and all ready to go in 2 minutes or less. :D

We got the four-person and the six-person version. It's a bit small so I would suggest getting the "six" to fit 4 people if you were going to go this route.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/sport-goods/coleman/InstantBig._V399917222_.jpg
The picture shows two people setting it up but you can certainly do it all by yourself without another helper. It's that easy.

stephenmarklay
05-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Where will you be using it? Are you looking for a summer tent or 3 season tent? Do you want the whole family to share a common area or would you like two rooms?

Thanks for giving it so much thought! Summer only and one room is fine.

stephenmarklay
05-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Couldnt be happier.

Awesome, thank you.

gdw
05-22-2016, 11:43 AM
+1 on visiting REI while they're offering their 20% sale and looking at the 6 person tents. Quite a few of the 4 person tents have limited floor space and don't have enough room for 4 sleepers and gear. The Marmot Limestone 6 and REI Basecamp 6 receive good reviews and are in your price range when discounted. The Kingdom 6 is also a decent tent that can be divided into two compartments but judging from some of the reviews it might not be the best choice if you camp in windy areas. The Eureka Timberline 4 is a less expensive option, under $200, but isn't sold at REI. It's a classic, rugged, proven design which will stand up to years of abuse and is light enough for backpacking. The optional vestibule is an inexpensive upgrade. Good luck.

Slow Eddie
05-22-2016, 07:46 PM
^Campmor might still sell outfitter versions of the timberline with bombproof floors and heavier rainflys. They almost always have previous years' models of a lot of popular tents for a good deal. Coming from 30 sq. ft. backpacking tents, I thought my Big Agnes Big House 4 was a palace for 2 adults, a toddler, and a 60-lb. dog; I agree that a 6-person version would be about right for four adults. Definitely look for something with an anteroom or hooped/freestanding vestibule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasadena
05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Hey, 80 series!
I have one too. Last of the greats
:hello:

stephenmarklay
05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
REI Basecamp 6!

Highly recommend this tent for family car camping. We have used it all over the country and in all weather. It has been great. This is a great size for the family of 4. If your stuck on a nasty weather day there is some room to hang out. The full fly is very nice. Plus being able to stand is great. It's big and heavy but it's not a backpacking tent.

This one is on my radar for sure.

stephenmarklay
05-22-2016, 08:09 PM
REI Basecamp 6!

How is it to put up and take down?

m_sasso
05-22-2016, 09:03 PM
I am employed as Marmot tech sales rep, we are smaller in annual sales then many other outdoor equipment companies however there are plenty of reasons why we sell more tents then any one else in the world.

The most unique and outstanding feature about Marmot tents is our maximized interior space, commonly know as sleep zone construction or tent topography.

You mentioned you are looking for a car camping, 4 person, family tent.

Tents we make that meet those criteria are the Argent 4P, Limestone 4P, the 6P is a six person tent. Halo 4P the Halo also comes in a 6P, six person version. In addition we make a tent named the Colfax 4P, designed as a versatile tent/shelter that converts to a sun shade.

The Limestone, Halo and Colfax are free standing, "X" frame tents, the Argent is a less expensive freestanding, modified "X" frame tent.

Here are a couple of videos on the Halo tent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPg4AIUxBHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhVU_hMdWM

If you need any help understanding features or making a decision based on particular features, let me know and I can help walk you through why a particulate tent might be best for your family and you.

vqdriver
05-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I love that a marmot tech is on the board. If i had any questions about my limestone id ask, but so far it just works.

Slow Eddie
05-22-2016, 09:14 PM
I am employed as Marmot tech sales rep....

Bring the Citadel back. My 20-year-old VE-25 isn't going to last forever, and it'd be nice to have an option that's not as, well, oblong as the Thor.

stephenmarklay
05-22-2016, 09:30 PM
I am employed as Marmot tech sales rep, we are smaller in annual sales then many other outdoor equipment companies however there are plenty of reasons why we sell more tents then any one else in the world.

The most unique and outstanding feature about Marmot tents is our maximized interior space, commonly know as sleep zone construction or tent topography.

You mentioned you are looking for a car camping, 4 person, family tent.

Tents we make that meet those criteria are the Argent 4P, Limestone 4P, the 6P is a six person tent. Halo 4P the Halo also comes in a 6P, six person version. In addition we make a tent named the Colfax 4P, designed as a versatile tent/shelter that converts to a sun shade.

The Limestone, Halo and Colfax are free standing, "X" frame tents, the Argent is a less expensive freestanding, modified "X" frame tent.

Here are a couple of videos on the Halo tent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPg4AIUxBHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhVU_hMdWM

If you need any help understanding features or making a decision based on particular features, let me know and I can help walk you through why a particulate tent might be best for your family and you.

Awesome, thank you so much.

cadence90
05-22-2016, 09:47 PM

I love that a marmot tech is on the board. If i had any questions about my limestone id ask, but so far it just works.
No kidding. Every Marmot item I have (some pretty old too) is top-notch, durable, etc. Just excellent stuff; I love it.

coylifut
05-23-2016, 10:30 PM
i have one of these

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=245303&d=1410370861

spiderwj
05-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Great photo! Makes me want to throw my REI Kingdom tent in my truck and head out for the weekend.

We have a Kingdom 6. Great for two adults and two kids. No way it fits 6. Size up two peeps for comfort in a car camping tent. The extra space is nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

batman1425
05-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Love all my Marmot gear. Just replaced my 6 year old Preclip rain jacket (which put up with with A LOT of abuse before finally giving up the ghost earlier this year). Found a new w/ tag demo model Artemis that I got for a steal at one of the shops in Denver during my last trip to Colorado. Light, flexible, great breathability - you guys know what you are doing when it comes to waterproof fabrics.

Also have several vests, zip up layers, and shirts between my wife and I. Great products.

redir
05-26-2016, 11:14 AM
I have to agree on everyone's comments about Marmot and quality. I don't do as much mountain climbing or hiking like I used to but of all the stuff I have ever tried Marmot has been the best. I still have a jacket I bought around 1995 and it's in terrible shape but still functional. It's expensive up front but ends up being inexpensive in the end. Glad to hear that they still make good stuff after all these years.

:beer:

a4racer
05-26-2016, 11:17 AM
but we have the REI Kingdom 8 that we use for car-camping with our kid.

While it says "8", that is a bit generous. We can COMFORTABLY fit a queen air mattress and a single air mattress in the main compartment, with a nice aisle in between for access. What we love about the Kingdom 8 is that it has a "vestibule", where we set up a little table and our bags. It's also a nice place to put a little chair and towels so that you can do a quick clean before you get into the "bedroom". We love it, and sure, it's not for hiking into the bush, but for camping around here on a campsite, it's the bomb. Do people still say that? Also, the additional option, the "garage", we understand is super handy for storing bikes under, etc., but we usually just keep those in our van anyways.

velomonkey
05-26-2016, 06:36 PM
but we have the REI Kingdom 8 that we use for car-camping with our kid.

Man, I just checked out that tent - looks wicked nice and it's on sale. My mother in-law is here this weekend. I might just get that tent and crash in the back yard - that thing is awesome.

stephenmarklay
05-26-2016, 06:53 PM
i have one of these

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=245303&d=1410370861

We would crush my Honda Fit :)

stephenmarklay
05-26-2016, 06:54 PM
We are lazy people and occasional camper at best, so we went ahead and got the Coleman "Instant" Tent. You literally throw that thing on the ground and it pop up and all ready to go in 2 minutes or less. :D

We got the four-person and the six-person version. It's a bit small so I would suggest getting the "six" to fit 4 people if you were going to go this route.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/sport-goods/coleman/InstantBig._V399917222_.jpg
The picture shows two people setting it up but you can certainly do it all by yourself without another helper. It's that easy.

We actually looked at one if these but he tent folded took up too much car space.

stephenmarklay
05-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Man, I just checked out that tent - looks wicked nice and it's on sale. My mother in-law is here this weekend. I might just get that tent and crash in the back yard - that thing is awesome.

I have looked at this and the base camp. The base camp seems to review better.

weisan
05-26-2016, 06:57 PM
We actually looked at one if these but he tent folded took up too much car space.

I hear you. It's a compromise.